Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

5 minutes ago, ksb12 said:

Anyone have any Northwestern info?

I have a friend in the Northwestern program, and she said we should hear from northwestern toward the end of this week (but when I asked her last week the director wasn't 100% sure on an exact day yet, so still kind of unclear)

I know it's SUPER early, but part of my coping process is to focus on the things I can control. Would anyone appreciate me starting a new Genetic Counseling 2019 thread? I feel like as more and more people know about the field and lurk on the thread there might be a lot of future applicants or returning applicants who missed this years application process or didn't get interviews (me lol) that want to talk about next year but don't want to bog down the excitement of all the people getting interviews and worrying about match still. Just an idea, some of us might not be mentally ready to start thinking about next year :wacko:, but, getting tips now that could help applicants have 12 months of volunteering or counseling experience vs. 8 when  application deadlines come back around could make a difference! So if you'd be interested like this post and I'll make one!

25 minutes ago, lilmaz said:

I know it's SUPER early, but part of my coping process is to focus on the things I can control. Would anyone appreciate me starting a new Genetic Counseling 2019 thread? I feel like as more and more people know about the field and lurk on the thread there might be a lot of future applicants or returning applicants who missed this years application process or didn't get interviews (me lol) that want to talk about next year but don't want to bog down the excitement of all the people getting interviews and worrying about match still. Just an idea, some of us might not be mentally ready to start thinking about next year :wacko:, but, getting tips now that could help applicants have 12 months of volunteering or counseling experience vs. 8 when  application deadlines come back around could make a difference! So if you'd be interested like this post and I'll make one!

Yes I think this would be great! I have decided to take a gap year and seeing all of the things in this thread is making me excited and nervous and I would love the opinions of our future Fall 2019 hopefuls.  I say do it!

1 hour ago, GCBrittany said:

Since we're talking about this topic of being in limbo, has anyone reached out to Arcadia to see if they are offering more interview spots, or do you think they're done?

Last Tuesday they said they were working through applications still and they would all be sent out within a week, so possibly another waive today? Otherwise no clue and have not heard any updated information since then.

24 minutes ago, KCGC said:

Last Tuesday they said they were working through applications still and they would all be sent out within a week, so possibly another waive today? Otherwise no clue and have not heard any updated information since then.

I contacted one of the admins that sent me an email regarding my transcripts, but she replied saying she didn't know about the status of my application other than that it was complete. So I guess we are all stuck waiting for them! But fingers crossed we hear back from them soon ?

I just got invited by VCU! They only gave me one available date so i'm guessing i was on a waitlist? I am thinking of declining it bc richmond is so far away from me and i'm clearly not their top choice but it's so hard! It sucks that schools don't cover cost of travel /: 

Edited by hfj23

15 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

I just got invited by VCU! They only gave me one available date so i'm guessing i was on a waitlist? I am thinking of declining it bc richmond is so far away from me and i'm clearly not their top choice but it's so hard! It sucks that schools don't cover cost of travel /: 

I can't say anything about the cost of travel because, obviously, that part sucks, but the part about not being their top choice, don't worry about that. Once you go into the interview, everyone is on level playing field. They wouldn't offer you an interview if they didn't like you. Everyone who gets an interview is qualified to be a genetic counselor, the interview is really to see if you fit with their program.

Hi everyone,  

I just discovered this thread and have found it very informative and reassuring as someone who is also in the middle of the fall 2018 application cycle. So far I have received invitations to interview from UT Houston, UAB, and Indiana. I’m still waiting to hear back from Pitt and USF but my hopes aren’t high as it feels like most programs have already made their decisions. Has anyone else heard from either of them?

5 minutes ago, Emily_M said:

Hi everyone,  

I just discovered this thread and have found it very informative and reassuring as someone who is also in the middle of the fall 2018 application cycle. So far I have received invitations to interview from UT Houston, UAB, and Indiana. I’m still waiting to hear back from Pitt and USF but my hopes aren’t high as it feels like most programs have already made their decisions. Has anyone else heard from either of them?

I don't think anyone else has heard from USF yet, but I know some people have heard from Pitt.  Many schools are doing rolling interview offers though, and Pitt might be one of them.

13 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

I can't say anything about the cost of travel because, obviously, that part sucks, but the part about not being their top choice, don't worry about that. Once you go into the interview, everyone is on level playing field. They wouldn't offer you an interview if they didn't like you. Everyone who gets an interview is qualified to be a genetic counselor, the interview is really to see if you fit with their program.

You're right and thank you for this! I think just knowing that other people got to rank their dates while i am just being given what's available is a bit discouraging and probably a downside of being on a forum. I have unexpectedly received a lot of interviews closer to home, which is why I am even debating whether interviewing at VCU is worth it due to travel expenses. I'll post my decision on here so hopefully someone who is waitlisted will know they still have a chance! 

1 hour ago, lilmaz said:

Hey!

If you do decide to go ahead and make the thread please include the discord link in the first post, the discord has been a great resource for many of us and we do have people who are planning to apply for the next cycle already in with us. 

https://discord.gg/QDHZy7S

7 minutes ago, TAGC said:

I don't think anyone else has heard from USF yet, but I know some people have heard from Pitt.  Many schools are doing rolling interview offers though, and Pitt might be one of them.

Yes, Pitt is doing rolling interviews I just wasn’t sure how long until I knew for certain I wasn’t getting an interview! Thanks for the info on USF. Their website states that they’re following “protocol” when it comes to interviews so I wasn’t sure when to expect anything from them

1 hour ago, Emily_M said:

Yes, Pitt is doing rolling interviews I just wasn’t sure how long until I knew for certain I wasn’t getting an interview! Thanks for the info on USF. Their website states that they’re following “protocol” when it comes to interviews so I wasn’t sure when to expect anything from them

Yea, USF has yet to send invites! 

For those of you who have taken a year or more off after undergrad before applying or for those of you who are applying for the 2nd time, what did you do during your time off? I am a senior in undergrad and I work part time at a family practice doctors office but I don't know if I should continue this job for all of next year or find a new one. I applied to 5 and have been rejected to 4 so far so I don't know if my current job is helping me at all since none of the schools even gave me an interview. I don't know of any jobs that are similar to GC that only require a bachelors degree.

5 minutes ago, Lauren423 said:

For those of you who have taken a year or more off after undergrad before applying or for those of you who are applying for the 2nd time, what did you do during your time off? I am a senior in undergrad and I work part time at a family practice doctors office but I don't know if I should continue this job for all of next year or find a new one. I applied to 5 and have been rejected to 4 so far so I don't know if my current job is helping me at all since none of the schools even gave me an interview. I don't know of any jobs that are similar to GC that only require a bachelors degree.

I think working in healthcare can only help strengthen your application.  However, you can try looking for genetics assistant positions to boost your application.  I got a master's degree in bioinformatics and have been working in that field for a bit.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:01 AM, lilmaz said:

I know there's four left I am just not putting all my hopes on them. My big weakness is lack of counseling experience. When I truly started looking into applying I was doing my Masters research  full time on top of having another full time job and didn't have the time to commit 10 hours a week to working a suicide prevention phone bank for $8 an hr or committing to a year long contract with the rape and abuse crisis center (my husband is military and we might be moving soon). I still would rather not do that because I need to make real money but I'm not sure of what other options there are in my area... I'm interested in the feedback and hoping it's something more than just "lack of counseling experience"!! 

Did you consider counseling with Crisis Text Line?   Its great because you can do it from anywhere after your online training.  I am behind in this forum so someone else may have already suggested it.

All of you who are getting lots of interviews, i'm curios--how are you making it work with your life? Any secrets/suggestions for flight searching, or scheduling secrets you've learned? Are you flying in in the morning and out at night, or staying 2 days at these places? What are you telling your bosses when you tell them you basically need a WEEK off? haha I'm nervous to break the news to my boss today, and it must be done...

9 minutes ago, GC2GC said:

Did you consider counseling with Crisis Text Line?   Its great because you can do it from anywhere after your online training.  I am behind in this forum so someone else may have already suggested it.

Yes someone did suggest Crisis Text Line! I hadn't heard of it and have already signed up. Thanks for the tip!!

6 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

All of you who are getting lots of interviews, i'm curios--how are you making it work with your life? Any secrets/suggestions for flight searching, or scheduling secrets you've learned? Are you flying in in the morning and out at night, or staying 2 days at these places? What are you telling your bosses when you tell them you basically need a WEEK off? haha I'm nervous to break the news to my boss today, and it must be done...

Last year I decided that if I got any interviews I'd tell my boss "By the way, I applied to grad school and I just got an interview and might be getting more and will have to take time off last minute." He has been super supportive about it ever since and was disappointed for me when I didn't get in last year to.  This year he knew ahead of time that March would be crazy for me, and has been really accommodating about me taking time off all over the place.

If you don't feel comfortable telling your boss that you're interviewing, maybe you could just say it was a last minute family vacation that would mean a lot to you? Or if you're taking a bunch of single days you could say it's for a bunch of "appointments" and then hopefully no further questions will be asked.

Most places I'm trying to fly in to after work in the evening before the interview (or leave work a little bit early) and then try to fly back home right after the interview finished.  For both Colorado and Wisconsin I have to stay an extra night, because neither of them have flights to Toronto in the evening.