Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

9 minutes ago, GCertain said:

Just stumbled across this list ranking grad programs by affordability. Check it out!

http://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/most-affordable-genetic-counseling-programs/

Thanks for this, I'm going to find it really useful in figuring out which schools have differing tuition for residents vs non-residents.

Just a warning to double check the tuitions on the website, because I noticed a couple of discrepancies.  For example, UC Irvine's website has "Non Resident Supplemental Tuition" listed as $24,490 for the full program, but that's what non-residents pay on top of the regular tuition of $22,440 plus the "Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition" of $19,848.  The website only seems to list the $24,490 as the tuition for non-residents.

Has anyone heard back from UCI, Utah, UTHealth, Augustana, or Oklahoma when asking on how to improve your application? 

I sent emails to all the schools I've applied, and have only heard back from CSU, Stanford and UC Denver about either waiting on contact or giving me to correct information for who to contact. So I still have had no input from schools on where my app was lacking :/ 

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

I sent emails to all the schools I've applied, and have only heard back from CSU, Stanford and UC Denver about either waiting on contact or giving me to correct information for who to contact. So I still have had no input from schools on where my app was lacking :/ 

I am sending my emails today!!  I have a question for you.  From the schools you have heard back from, did they just email you their feedback from your previous applications or do you set up a time to call them?

1 hour ago, kds27 said:

I am sending my emails today!!  I have a question for you.  From the schools you have heard back from, did they just email you their feedback from your previous applications or do you set up a time to call them?

Denver gave me another email address and said to contact after 6/6, CSU Stan told me to call after 6/9, and Stanford said they would re-review my application and reach out to me mid-June. 

So none have given me actual feedback yet. 

6 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Has anyone heard back from UCI, Utah, UTHealth, Augustana, or Oklahoma when asking on how to improve your application? 

Augustana replied back like a month after I sent an email and for UCI I received nothing so I emailed the program director directly!

5 hours ago, essee said:

Augustana replied back like a month after I sent an email and for UCI I received nothing so I emailed the program director directly!

Thanks for letting me know! I'll continue waiting on  Augustana before taking any additional steps, but I did email the UCI director directly. Hopefully she replies soon!

On 6/9/2017 at 8:49 AM, AspiringGC said:

I haven't heard from Utah or UT either. :/ I did hear back from Oklahoma though. 

On 6/9/2017 at 10:38 AM, kds27 said:

I have heard back from two. One just emailed me back with some feedback and the other we set up a time to call. 

8 hours ago, KM94 said:

I haven't heard from Utah or UT either. :/ I did hear back from Oklahoma though. 

When did you hear back from Oklahoma and what email did you use? 

I'm setting up a time to chat with the CSU Stan program director for next Thursday. 

On 6/9/2017 at 3:49 PM, essee said:

On 6/9/2017 at 8:56 PM, AspiringGC said:

Thanks for letting me know! I'll continue waiting on  Augustana before taking any additional steps, but I did email the UCI director directly. Hopefully she replies soon!

@AspiringGC I also heard back from Augustana 3-4 weeks after I sent an email.

I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but for those of you who are emailing schools to ask for feedback for next year, did you email the account that sent you the original rejection letter or the program director's email? 

3 minutes ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but for those of you who are emailing schools to ask for feedback for next year, did you email the account that sent you the original rejection letter or the program director's email? 

I got 4 rejections.  One of my rejection letters specifically gave an e-mail address to contact and one of the program directors told me on match day to e-mail her directly.  For the other two, I e-mailed the administrative assistant that was listed on the school's program website, and they either forwarded my e-mail to the director or gave me the appropriate e-mail address to contact.

I just got feedback from the last school today, and it made me feel pretty motivated for next year's applications.

3 minutes ago, TAGC said:

I got 4 rejections.  One of my rejection letters specifically gave an e-mail address to contact and one of the program directors told me on match day to e-mail her directly.  For the other two, I e-mailed the administrative assistant that was listed on the school's program website, and they either forwarded my e-mail to the director or gave me the appropriate e-mail address to contact.

I just got feedback from the last school today, and it made me feel pretty motivated for next year's applications.

Thanks! and good luck!

22 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

When did you hear back from Oklahoma and what email did you use? 

I'm setting up a time to chat with the CSU Stan program director for next Thursday. 

I heard back on the 6th. I emailed Susan Hassed. 

On 5/26/2017 at 9:14 AM, TAGC said:

I took it last year and thought it was really great.  It was 100% go at your own pace, and they send a letter in pdf with your grade on it the day after you write your final exam.  It was about $350 if you take it as a "non-credit" course.

So far the UC course is the least expensive I have found. Bay Path is offering one this summer for $1200 as well... yikes!

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but Baylor submitted a letter of intent a few days ago!! Hooray for another program being added!! On a similar note, does anyone know when any of the programs with letters of intent out there plan to go live? I would like to look into them but none of them have any information on their websites...

9 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but Baylor submitted a letter of intent a few days ago!! Hooray for another program being added!! On a similar note, does anyone know when any of the programs with letters of intent out there plan to go live? I would like to look into them but none of them have any information on their websites...

Arizona will likely be much closer to fall/when they get approval. I will double check with my mentor. I'm emailing her today to get some more information/insight into how the process is going.

How is everyone deciding about where to apply? With the match system, I realize that while we do rank our programs, those programs that we rank really have to be ones that we could see ourselves going to. I think this is giving me a bit of anxiety since my home state only has a couple of programs and I haven't visited many other cities that have programs so I really don't know how I'd feel about living there. I'm also finding that a lot of the programs don't necessarily have a plethora of information about the program-more of just an overview. How are you guys reconciling this?  

1 minute ago, trp111 said:

How is everyone deciding about where to apply? With the match system, I realize that while we do rank our programs, those programs that we rank really have to be ones that we could see ourselves going to. I think this is giving me a bit of anxiety since my home state only has a couple of programs and I haven't visited many other cities that have programs so I really don't know how I'd feel about living there. I'm also finding that a lot of the programs don't necessarily have a plethora of information about the program-more of just an overview. How are you guys reconciling this?  

My first criteria for choosing was location. I want to stay in my state, and if not, as close as possible. So that cuts programs down to the ones on the west coast/south west. After that it's cost, if I could afford it, and then if I'd even want to live there. As you can see from my signature, that's 8 schools. I applied to 8 last cycle, but only 5 of them are the same from last cycle, the other three are new schools that should be open by next cycle. I know it's not super helpful, but that's my criteria. My mentor once told me that "you can do  anything for two years," and I think that's true. Try not to stress too much, but I think interviews and being honest when you do rankings after interviews, you'll end up where you're supposed to be.

16 hours ago, trp111 said:

Location, when rotations start, and cost are my three main factors. If you want more information about a program you can always email the director or whatever contact info they list on their website. And as for not knowing what a city is like to live in, you can google cost of living/housing/etc, and if you think you could potentially see yourself living there then you can ask more about it at the interview if you receive one. You usually have time to speak with the current students and you can ask them all of that kind of information.

17 hours ago, trp111 said:

I was really unsure of it as well. I started by looking at location and where I had family or the areas I wanted to live it. After that I looked at cost and the rotation schedule (when they started and their locations). I also reached out to current students or alumni to get their perspective on the program and city. From there they just narrowed down themselves. I also asked how many schools and which ones the people I talked to applied to, one even gave me the name of a school they thought I should look into more. Definitely reach out to the faculty, alumni, or current students. 

Hey everyone! Just thought I would mention that university of Phoenix offers a 5 week online genetics course for any of those who are needing that

On 6/28/2017 at 0:45 PM, gc2017 said:

Hey everyone! Just thought I would mention that university of Phoenix offers a 5 week online genetics course for any of those who are needing that

@gc2017 Is it a grad level course or undergrad level?