Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on this forum and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how about to prepare for an interview. My first interview is next week with UAB and I am extremely nervous. I have never gone through a graduate school interview and am not sure what to expect. I would really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks! And good luck to everyone else on their interview process. :)

32 minutes ago, laura moreno said:

How are you guys reaching out to schools? I feel like I do not want to annoy them, yet want to find out about my application status

My opinion is to just wait and see. I'm always cautious of tainting my name if I call and annoy them about my application status before the end of February. 

1 hour ago, genfirst said:

Never got an e-mail from Manitoba but saw thru the self service portal that a decision was made. Based on the decision letter, it said that my application was unsuccessful because 'documents required for assessment were not received by the deadline for departmental assessment''. I double checked my application and see that everything (application/transcript/references etc.) was submitted and/or received before the deadline, so not quite sure what could have been missing. I did e-mail the program to get some clarification but haven't heard back yet. Anybody ever have something like this happen to them or got any advice? Would it be appropriate to contact the program director to ask for some feedback?  

I believe UManitoba has sends 2 emails that tells you your application is complete. If you have received those, I would definitely ask. I emailed them just now because I have gotten no update on my application at all and got an automatic email telling us to inquire after April 27th.

2 hours ago, laura moreno said:

Any word from USF?

According to the results from last year they send out invites on February 23rd. So we got a week to wait it looks like. 

51 minutes ago, NicSL said:

I believe UManitoba has sends 2 emails that tells you your application is complete. If you have received those, I would definitely ask. I emailed them just now because I have gotten no update on my application at all and got an automatic email telling us to inquire after April 27th.

Thanks for the help! I double checked and did get both confirmation e-mails from Manitoba (one with the subject: application status complete). I also received that same auto reply after I sent my e-mail asking for clarification about why my application was considered incomplete. Have you checked your portal status, because I didnt receive an email from them about the rejection, just saw that a decision was made on the portal. 

2 hours ago, genfirst said:

Never got an e-mail from Manitoba but saw thru the self service portal that a decision was made. Based on the decision letter, it said that my application was unsuccessful because 'documents required for assessment were not received by the deadline for departmental assessment''. I double checked my application and see that everything (application/transcript/references etc.) was submitted and/or received before the deadline, so not quite sure what could have been missing. I did e-mail the program to get some clarification but haven't heard back yet. Anybody ever have something like this happen to them or got any advice? Would it be appropriate to contact the program director to ask for some feedback?  

I also never received an email from Manitoba, but saw my decision in the Self Service Portal. Mine was even more vague... it said, 

Genetic Counselling has indicated that your application was unsuccessful because:

• Please apply next year.

Haha... so I guess I will also be contacting the program director for feedback. I do hope they clarify your document situation soon though and not after April 27th; that must be very frustrating. 

20 minutes ago, genfirst said:

Thanks for the help! I double checked and did get both confirmation e-mails from Manitoba (one with the subject: application status complete). I also received that same auto reply after I sent my e-mail asking for clarification about why my application was considered incomplete. Have you checked your portal status, because I didnt receive an email from them about the rejection, just saw that a decision was made on the portal. 

It sounds like they are just manically updating the results...I wonder if they might have even made a mistake in your decisional explanation.

I have been checking the portal very often! My application is still "Complete. Under Review in Department" I just want to know so I can possibly minimize the amount of time I have to take off school/work :( 

4 minutes ago, NicSL said:

It sounds like they are just manically updating the results...I wonder if they might have even made a mistake in your decisional explanation.

I have been checking the portal very often! My application is still "Complete. Under Review in Department" I just want to know so I can possibly minimize the amount of time I have to take off school/work :( 

Yeah, it definitely seems like quite a mess. Almost as if they are updating everyone's portal status individually because mine was actually changed at 2/14/18 2:33 PM EST 
Hopefully, you hear back soon though!

7 hours ago, minia188 said:

I also never received an email from Manitoba, but saw my decision in the Self Service Portal. Mine was even more vague... it said, 

Genetic Counselling has indicated that your application was unsuccessful because:

• Please apply next year.

Haha... so I guess I will also be contacting the program director for feedback. I do hope they clarify your document situation soon though and not after April 27th; that must be very frustrating. 

I got the same thing! Lol... very unspecific/poorly worded

18 hours ago, genfirst said:

As some who went to Manitoba, I can tell you their admissions departments are disasters.

When I transferred a few years ago from another university, I never received confirmation I was accepted to register for courses (though the woman on the phone told me I was). I had to go down to the office myself where they told me they never received my High school transcripts (which 1: they had, 2: I was a 3rd year uni student) so they couldn't accept me. I stood there until they managed to "find" my transcripts and gave me my acceptance on the spot. 

Please call and follow up with them and don't give up

1 hour ago, LFGC said:

Northwestern interview invites are out!

Any insight as to whether they are doing waves? I know based off of last year it looks as though they'll email everyone today or Monday and either offer them an interview or waitlist them?

22 minutes ago, WWAGCD said:

Any insight as to whether they are doing waves? I know based off of last year it looks as though they'll email everyone today or Monday and either offer them an interview or waitlist them?

they gave us a bunch of dates and we put in a doodlepoll which ones work. Maybe dates that don't fill will be sent out to those on a waitlist? I'm not sure but anything is possible! 

59 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

March 14th. When is yours?? Congrats!

Ahhh darn, March 21st! Are they doing groups? I don't think I have seen a single person with the same KGI date.

6 hours ago, MBgirl said:

As some who went to Manitoba, I can tell you their admissions departments are disasters.

When I transferred a few years ago from another university, I never received confirmation I was accepted to register for courses (though the woman on the phone told me I was). I had to go down to the office myself where they told me they never received my High school transcripts (which 1: they had, 2: I was a 3rd year uni student) so they couldn't accept me. I stood there until they managed to "find" my transcripts and gave me my acceptance on the spot. 

Please call and follow up with them and don't give up

Thank you! I called them and also emailed them earlier, but I was shuttled to voicemail and have yet to hear anything. With the impending Family Day I guess I will have to wait till Tuesday!

1 hour ago, NicSL said:

Thank you! I called them and also emailed them earlier, but I was shuttled to voicemail and have yet to hear anything. With the impending Family Day I guess I will have to wait till Tuesday!

Yup, I've also called and e-mailed as well, but still haven't heard back either! I honestly don't think they will give me any resolution until after April 27th, which is very disappointing...