Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

5 minutes ago, LauraCH said:

@laura moreno Catelyn (aspiringGC) called after neither of us heard anything on the day they sent out invites and rejections (Feb 12). They said if you haven't gotten anything you are on the waitlist. About a day later we both got rejections at the same time.

Okay- Thank you! I actually just realized you were talking about Utah and not UAB :P so I got excited for a second :(

8 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

I should be paid for the free advertising I'm about to give here, haha.

I have both points from credit cards and rewards with airlines/hotels. My two personal favorite credit cards that I use are the Delta Gold American Express and Capital One Venture. I use the Delta Gold because my airport is a Delta hub so that's the airline I most frequently fly (and with the gold card I get a extra free bag, priority boarding, and some other cool perks), but the miles take a little while to rack up because it's only one mile per dollar. The Capital One Venture card is by far the best points card (in my opinion) out there. You get 2 points for each dollar you spend on ANYTHING, and you can redeem points directly through them for airfare, hotels, rental cars, etc. In my experience, booking through them requires fewer points than all my frequent flyer miles options (except maybe southwest). For example when booking my flight to Houston, it would have cost me 60,000 miles through Delta, 40,000 miles through American Airlines, and I don't remember how many points I would have needed through Southwest, but I didn't have enough anyway. Using my Venture card it cost me 35,000 points AND I am still able to earn frequent flyer miles for the airline Capital One booked it through so even though I'm using points I'm still earning some at the same time. You can also pay with partial miles/partial money in literally any amount of your choosing - you just type in if you want to pay x amount of dollars and it will tell you how many miles are required to cover the rest of it (or vice versa). If you pay for anything travel-wise out of pocket, you can also use points to reimburse your purchase after the fact. Even if you aren't a frequent traveler, you can also redeem your miles for gift cards or for a lump sum credit to your account (i.e., take $150 off your credit card bill by redeeming 15,000 miles).  

For the Venture card and any airline-specific card, when you first sign up there is usually a bonus, like "spend x amount of money in x amount of time and you get 50,000 miles!". So look out for those offers too. And once you spend the money to get the bonus, you don't have to use the card ever again if you don't want to.  Hotels also have credit card partnerships but I don't use any of those. The hotel point systems can be helpful though. Most hotels let you choose if you want to earn/redeem your points for staying as frequent flyer miles for a specific airline or as points for that hotel brand. Some airlines have partnerships with hotels anyway, like I know American Airlines has a partnership with a TON of hotels, and you can earn miles just for staying there if you give them your frequent flyer number when you book or at check in. 

There are a lot of ways to save if you know how to play the game right :)

Wow! This was amazing, thank you so much! I'll definitely be more vigilant of the offers out there now thank you! 

@soon2beGC and @TAGC Thank you both for your support :) You are both clearly very qualified candidates.. I mean, look at those interview lists!
It helps a lot to hear from other candidates about not being discouraged by let-downs from one or two schools. It's really encouraging me to keep a more positive outlook. So I guess we shall make the best of the interviews with programs who are showing interest in us. Best of luck to you both! :)

@Nefelibata  When you book with points, how flexible are the tickets?

My strategy was to book with Southwest (no change fees!) and JetBlue (my besties live in a hub city) so I could get the most personal benefit if I got an additional interview and had to sequence trips with tight turn around.  I decided I was willing to do early, late and redeye flights since I was planning to arrive at least a day before most interviews.  I'm turning some of hte interview trips into mini vacays, visiting friends.  When I had to look at non-stop flights, I tried to choose airports that would enable teh greatest flexibility to get to some of my destinations, if asked.

Just waiting to hear from CSUS at this point, and definitively from JHU.   @Raerae32 , Let me know if you hear anything, and good luck!

Applied/Interview/TheyMissedOut:  Augustana, Brandeis, Denver Hopkins, Stanford, Stanislaus, Irvine, Maryland, UWMadison, Utah, VCU,

Edited by RBsister
wanted to tag someone!

10 minutes ago, RBsister said:

@Nefelibata  When you book with points, how flexible are the tickets?

My strategy was to book with Southwest (no change fees!) and JetBlue (my besties live in a hub city) so I could get the most personal benefit if I got an additional interview and had to sequence trips with tight turn around.  I decided I was willing to do early, late and redeye flights since I was planning to arrive at least a day before most interviews.  I'm turning some of hte interview trips into mini vacays, visiting friends.  When I had to look at non-stop flights, I tried to choose airports that would enable teh greatest flexibility to get to some of my destinations, if asked.

Just waiting to hear from CSUS at this point, and definitively from JHU.   @Raerae32 , Let me know if you hear anything, and good luck!

Applied/Interview/TheyMissedOut:  Augustana, Brandeis, Denver Hopkins, Stanford, Stanislaus, Irvine, Maryland, UWMadison, Utah, VCU,

Will do!

What are your reactions to this hypothesis:

The posters on the GradCafe are the most qualified and dedicated candidates for placement in GC grad schools.  Casual applicants wouldn't even be motivated enough to find the board, let alone post. Therefore, people on this board would be considered in the top X% of candidates with respect to the strength of their applications.

Trying to gauge the number of interview invitations of a certain someone I know with the number of interview invitations of the people on this board.

Edited by GCDad

22 minutes ago, GCDad said:

What are your reactions to this hypothesis

So this is a tricky one. I do agree that the top applicants are probably trolling (haha jkjk) this thread. But I do think that there is probably a great mix of outstanding individuals outside gradcafe that just don't have an interest in following the forum. 

But can we figure this out with math? If most schools receive (on average) 180 applications, and they interview approximately 50 - 60 candidates, and each average candidate applies to 4-6 schools, what would the average interview number be per applicant? 

Now someone gifted with quick stat math help a girl out. Haha. 

Well...if there are 40 schools and each one got 180 applications, that would be 7,200 total applications.  If each GC hopeful applied to, say, 5 schools, that would be 7,200/5 = 1,440 applicants.  If each school granted 50 interviews, 50 x 40 schools = 2,000 interviews, or 1.39 per applicant.  There are some crude assumptions in there (e.g. all schools equally desirable and attract equal number of applicants), the biggest one being all applicants are equally qualified.  

If half the applicants were lunkheads and had no business applying, then they should get 0 interviews and the other half twice as many (2 x 1.39).

So the unknown parameter is the percentage of lunkheads applying.....