Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

On 2018-03-21 at 12:32 PM, Blizzard said:

Thank you email question--those of you who know what your top choice will be, are you telling them you're ranking them number one in your thank you email? or is that too bold? also i'm torn because i don't want to be a jerk, but i also don't remember the name and workplace of everyone who interviewed me, so i'd like to just send them to the program directors and assisstant directors. 

I definitely wouldn't include that in the email. I'm pretty sure it's against the Match rules to state exactly how you are ranking a school (you & the school are allowed to state THAT you are ranking each other, but not how, or in what order).  

On that note.. has anybody had a school inform them that they intend to rank you during the interview or afterwards? Just curious

Edited by bB0769

3 hours ago, mtb411 said:

Do you have to pay tuition for summer term?  At other schools, you don't usually pay, since you are just doing clinical rotations.  I had assumed it was the same at Northwestern, but I could be wrong.

If they say we are registered for that quarter i assume that means we would have to pay! Thats something i may ask a current student about 

On 3/21/2018 at 12:38 PM, TAGC said:

I don't think you're allowed to tell them where you're ranking them, just that you are ranking them.  This is from the rules e-mail they sent out "Neither party may disclose to the other party or solicit from the other party any information regarding the positioning of any applicant or program on a Rank Order List. For example, you cannot say "I will rank you first on my list" or "You are in my top-3 choices"."

I personally haven't told any program that I'm planning to rank them, but I do plan to rank all the programs I interviewed with.

I'm glad I haven't sent them yet then. How embarrassing!:blink: Thank you for letting me know!

4 hours ago, Blizzard said:

I'm glad I haven't sent them yet then. How embarrassing!:blink: Thank you for letting me know!

Hahaha absolutely, no problem! I'm glad I got the information to you in time!! 

Edit: LOL jk I thought this was in response to my post. I never read anything fully. Either way, happy you were informed in a timely matter. 

Edited by bB0769

At Emory, the program said they would send an email to all candidates next week, letting us know if they plan to rank us or not (permissible by match rules). Out of curiosity, has anyone encountered other programs that are doing this?

Edited by AJM19

44 minutes ago, AJM19 said:

At Emory, the program said they would send an email to all candidates next week, letting us know if they plan to rank us or not (permissible by match rules). Out of curiosity, has anyone encountered other programs that are doing this?

Michigan sent out an email that contained financial information and also if they would rank us. It would be cool if all programs could let us know.. 

On March 30, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Blizzard said:

I have a question--those of you who applied to USF, have you heard back? I was thinking about this today.

Yes, I have heard back. I believe all of their interviews are scheduled for next week. If you haven't heard from them at all since you submitted you application, I would definitely reach out to them! Hope that helps (: 

For those of you who got the financial letter from Michigan, do you think they tell every intervie that they “intend to rank them”? Or do you think they only say that to a certain number of people? 

Hi guys, 

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows an international GC student? I almost can't any international students on the school students bios. I'm planning on applying next year but I'm just concerned that I won't have a chance. I graduated from an international campus of Carnegie Mellon University with Bachelors Degree in Biological Sciences, GPA of 3.61 with university and research honors and a certificate in Spanish language. I have worked in college as a TA in molecular genetics lab. I'm currently working in a diagnostics lab and will start a GC shadowing experience soon. Would love to hear some positive experiences from international students. 

8 hours ago, RayanM said:

Hi guys, 

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows an international GC student? I almost can't any international students on the school students bios. I'm planning on applying next year but I'm just concerned that I won't have a chance. I graduated from an international campus of Carnegie Mellon University with Bachelors Degree in Biological Sciences, GPA of 3.61 with university and research honors and a certificate in Spanish language. I have worked in college as a TA in molecular genetics lab. I'm currently working in a diagnostics lab and will start a GC shadowing experience soon. Would love to hear some positive experiences from international students. 

Some schools have Canadian students. You should contact them. The best thing to do is email the program coordinator and request to speak with international current students or alumni. They are very helpful in connecting you with them. For me, around 3 to 4 schools connected me with Indian alumni, and most of my other schools tried connecting me to current students from Canada or other countries. 

21 hours ago, RayanM said:

Hi guys, 

@RayanM The University of Cincinnati has a current student who attended the Carnegie Mellon location in Quatar. They would be a good program to reach out to and could probably give you her contact information if you asked for it.

I wasn't able to tune in to the OSU webinar today, can anyone tell me if they confirmed the tuition reduction and if they gave any other financial info?

On 4/2/2018 at 6:39 PM, hfj23 said:

I wasn't able to tune in to the OSU webinar today, can anyone tell me if they confirmed the tuition reduction and if they gave any other financial info?

@hfj23 They did get the approval to reduce out of state tuition by $20,000 total. The confirmed that the LEND track was removed because they couldn't say with 100% confidence that they would be able to provide the second year funding. Other than that I don't think there was any other financial info.

So one other paranoid worrier question...2 out of the three programs I sent thank you emails to, haven't responded. Should I be worried that's a really bad sign? I think at this point I just like to worry. April 27th can't come quick enough.

5 hours ago, Blizzard said:

So one other paranoid worrier question...2 out of the three programs I sent thank you emails to, haven't responded. Should I be worried that's a really bad sign? I think at this point I just like to worry. April 27th can't come quick enough.

none of my schools have and i have not heard many schools have to others either