Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

On 4/5/2018 at 6:48 PM, Blizzard said:

So one other paranoid worrier question...2 out of the three programs I sent thank you emails to, haven't responded. Should I be worried that's a really bad sign? I think at this point I just like to worry. April 27th can't come quick enough.

I have only heard back from 1 out of the four I sent thank you email to. I don't think it is very common for interviewers to reply, especially considering the amount of thank you emails they get during this time. I also heard from a GC that thank you letter doesn't matter in their decision-making process. :)

Final reminder: 

If you'd like to fill out the following survey, please do so by tomorrow night! After which, I will not be accepting submissions. If you are interested in seeing the current results, submit a BLANK form. It will give you the option to see the results at the end. I've received about 80 responses so far, so there is a good amount of data to look at. 

https://goo.gl/forms/EqvqlklbLzEDKswx1

Mentally preparing - does anyone know anything more than what's on the website for post-match process? Sounds like it's just cold calling the programs with availability. BUT can people who withdraw still post-match?

1 hour ago, raecamp said:

Mentally preparing - does anyone know anything more than what's on the website for post-match process? Sounds like it's just cold calling the programs with availability. BUT can people who withdraw still post-match?

YES! If you withdraw you are still able to participate in the post match process. 

There has been some debate on whether those who didn’t get interviews (and thus have to withdraw from the match because of it) are able to participate. One program director said that it is true... which would be a change from the previous post match process where you had to have at least one interview to participate. 

Passed that, everything else I know about the process is from the match site.

Hi all,

I am planning on applying next year to GC programs. I am curious to see if anyone has insight on how LGBTQ+ friendly the field is generally? Additionally, if any one has insight on specific programs that might be more LGBTQ+ friendly than others that would be great! 

2 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

YES! If you withdraw you are still able to participate in the post match process. 

There has been some debate on whether those who didn’t get interviews (and thus have to withdraw from the match because of it) are able to participate. One program director said that it is true... which would be a change from the previous post match process where you had to have at least one interview to participate. 

Passed that, everything else I know about the process is from the match site.

I definitely remember a PD at one of my interviews saying that the post-match process would only be open to applicants that receive at least one interview invitation :/

3 hours ago, tepb12 said:

Hi all,

I am planning on applying next year to GC programs. I am curious to see if anyone has insight on how LGBTQ+ friendly the field is generally? Additionally, if any one has insight on specific programs that might be more LGBTQ+ friendly than others that would be great! 

I’d try throwing out the question in the discord, since it has come up before. There’s a link elsewhere in the thread. FWIW there are LGBTQ+ GCs currently in the field. You may be able to contact the NSGC (nsgc@nsgc.org) and see if they can connect you with any GCs you can talk to! 

5 hours ago, raecamp said:

Seems like it might be good to email someone at the AGCPD for an official answer? They have an ad hoc match process committee https://agcpd.org/Committees. Edit: or gcadmissions@natmatch.com

Edited by sunT

2 hours ago, AJM19 said:

I definitely remember a PD at one of my interviews saying that the post-match process would only be open to applicants that receive at least one interview invitation :/

I just stated what I heard another candidate say. It doesn't make sense to me that they'd change that aspect. I agree with sunT's post below for someone to reach out to clarify. 

19 minutes ago, sunT said:

Seems like it might be good to email someone at the AGCPD for an official answer? They have an ad hoc match process committee https://agcpd.org/Committees

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, AspiringGC said:

Final reminder: 

If you'd like to fill out the following survey, please do so by tomorrow night! After which, I will not be accepting submissions. If you are interested in seeing the current results, submit a BLANK form. It will give you the option to see the results at the end. I've received about 80 responses so far, so there is a good amount of data to look at. 

https://goo.gl/forms/EqvqlklbLzEDKswx1

Hey! Do you have any plans to share this feedback with programs? Since there aren't identifiers, it may be useful for them to review. A GC I work with (not affiliated with any program) suggested this so I wanted to ask. Thank you for putting it together!

19 minutes ago, hopetobeGC said:

Hey! Do you have any plans to share this feedback with programs? Since there aren't identifiers, it may be useful for them to review. A GC I work with (not affiliated with any program) suggested this so I wanted to ask. Thank you for putting it together!

Whoops read this wrong originally. I hadn't thought about that. I definitely could share the link with all the program directors though. Do you think it'd be useful to them?

Edited by AspiringGC

9 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Whoops read this wrong originally. I hadn't thought about that. I definitely could share the link with all the program directors though. Do you think it'd be useful to them?

I really do!! It's great to get feedback from students. I think they would really appreciate it. And plus, the circle graphs are kind of fun to look at. *nerd face* 

42 minutes ago, GC12018 said:

If a program lets you know they’re ranking you, that doesn’t necessarily mean you would be in the spots available to the incoming class, right? You could be #11 for a incoming class of 10?

Exactly. When I was told I'd be ranked by a program, I took it as an automatic waitlist position at a minimum. 

18 hours ago, GC12018 said:

If a program lets you know they’re ranking you, that doesn’t necessarily mean you would be in the spots available to the incoming class, right? You could be #11 for a incoming class of 10?

Right - it just means you’re somewhere on their list of candidates that they would be willing to have in their incoming class, whether at the #1 position or #50. Some programs may rank all their candidates, while others may only include a subset. 

Edited by AJM19

On 4/13/2018 at 7:56 PM, Bz79 said:

Oh gosh why does it have to take two weeks after the deadline!! So impatient ?

I know it! Did anyone who interviewed at Long Island receive an “intend to rank” email? I haven’t heard a peep from them since my interview in March.

13 hours ago, HalleK said:

I know it! Did anyone who interviewed at Long Island receive an “intend to rank” email? I haven’t heard a peep from them since my interview in March.

I haven’t heard from 3 out of the four schools about rankings. I’m assuming some of them are just not sending out anything. Atleast I hope so

10 hours ago, Bz79 said:

I haven’t heard from 3 out of the four schools about rankings. I’m assuming some of them are just not sending out anything. Atleast I hope so

I received 3 e-mails saying that they won't say either way and 1 e-mail saying they'd rank me.  The other 4 didn't e-mail anything.  I'm hoping that just means they aren't telling people and not that they aren't ranking me.

3 hours ago, TAGC said:

I received 3 e-mails saying that they won't say either way and 1 e-mail saying they'd rank me.  The other 4 didn't e-mail anything.  I'm hoping that just means they aren't telling people and not that they aren't ranking me.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too!

On 4/10/2018 at 7:11 PM, tepb12 said:

Hi all,

My impression is that, overall, the field is LGBTQ+ friendly. Check out Pitt, they actually offer an LGBTQ+ certificate you can do in addition to your degree.

Hi everyone! I have applied for the 2018 Fall GC programs, and I have only just found this chat. I am bursting with anticipation for April 27th. Has anyone on here applied to Rutgers or the Sarah Lawrence program?

On 4/21/2018 at 6:16 PM, Gadgette said:

My impression is that, overall, the field is LGBTQ+ friendly. Check out Pitt, they actually offer an LGBTQ+ certificate you can do in addition to your degree.

I know recently Sarah Lawrence hosted a seminar for genetic counselors on LBGTQ issues and how they impact genetic counseling in the 21st century. ?  They even had LBGTQ SL students present. 

Edited by DS144

14 hours ago, DS144 said:

Hi everyone! I have applied for the 2018 Fall GC programs, and I have only just found this chat. I am bursting with anticipation for April 27th. Has anyone on here applied to Rutgers or the Sarah Lawrence program?

Welcome! If your interested in more of a conversational setting, we have a chat going on Discord that you can access here: https://discord .gg/cgErukr