Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

2 hours ago, TAGC said:

Welcome! If your interested in more of a conversational setting, we have a chat going on Discord that you can access here: https://discord .gg/cgErukr

Thank you!  I see you interviewed at Rutgers, how was your experience?

Edited by DS144

7 minutes ago, Bz79 said:

So the match could email us at any point Friday morning? I thought it was all sent out at noon but after their email I’m not sure 

I seems so. I was wondering about that as well. 

1 hour ago, Bz79 said:

So the match could email us at any point Friday morning? I thought it was all sent out at noon but after their email I’m not sure 

I think from most people's understanding you can receive an e-mail anytime that morning (their goal is to have all of them out by 11am), BUT if you haven't gotten an e-mail yet you can log onto the match site and see your results at 12PM. 

I have a new freak out I just came up with:

One of my schools had a scholarship track for diversity. I don’t really qualify for it, but I ranked it anyways. Above the regular track. 

Now I’m freaking out because I’m like WHAT if that’s what it picks, and I’m disqualified for something?

29 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

One of my schools had a scholarship track for diversity. I don’t really qualify for it, but I ranked it anyways. Above the regular track.  

Now I’m freaking out because I’m like WHAT if that’s what it picks, and I’m disqualified for something?

I did the same thing for CSU-Stan.  I feel like if they pick you for the diversity track when you don't qualify, then isn't that kind of on them for ranking you wrong?

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

1 hour ago, TAGC said:

I did the same thing for CSU-Stan.  I feel like if they pick you for the diversity track when you don't qualify, then isn't that kind of on them for ranking you wrong?

The schools are only supposed to rank qualified individuals for each track, so if you don't qualify for a track they will not have ranked you for it and thus you would not be matched to it. This is assuming they did it correctly. If by some mistake they ranked you for a track they don't qualify you for, well the match results are binding so....

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Probably the wrong day to ask a question but here goes. I've heard many say that they think certain schools prefer older students, which schools do you think feel this way? I know when y'all say older you still mean under 30. Well, I'm well past 30 but hoping to apply next year. So if there are schools that really seem to prefer oldies or freshies, I'm curious to know. IF they seem to really stick to younger people, I'd really like to know that too. I'm not going to base all my school choices based on whether I think I have a better/worse shot because of my age but still would like some insight. I know many have student profiles and I've read plenty of them but it's still hard sometimes to know who, if any, are a little older. 

Any info would be most appreciated.

13 minutes ago, MaybeGradschool? said:

Probably the wrong day to ask a question but here goes. I've heard many say that they think certain schools prefer older students, which schools do you think feel this way? I know when y'all say older you still mean under 30. Well, I'm well past 30 but hoping to apply next year. So if there are schools that really seem to prefer oldies or freshies, I'm curious to know. IF they seem to really stick to younger people, I'd really like to know that too. I'm not going to base all my school choices based on whether I think I have a better/worse shot because of my age but still would like some insight. I know many have student profiles and I've read plenty of them but it's still hard sometimes to know who, if any, are a little older.  

I don't think that older applicants means still under 30.  I think of it more as not straight out of undergrad, which could mean any age really.  There was a woman in her late 40s at my CSU interview and I'm not 100% sure but I think that a recent UBC graduate was in her late 30s.  I think a lot of the programs look at life experience as a good thing.  If you're an older applicant making a career change, then they also think that you are more likely to stay in the career because making a career change is difficult and you also have a little more experience to know what it is that you do and don't like in a job.

I don't have any advice for you on which schools look at older applicants, but I wouldn't worry too much about your age.

2 hours ago, MaybeGradschool? said:

Hello, there! I'm an "older" applicant, so I thought I'd chime in here. I applied to 4 schools and got interviews at 3. I would say in all my interviews, GCs and program directors seemed really positive about the experience I've had. I think it depends on what you've done in your time in between undergrad and now, but if you have a cohesive "story" about how your experiences have led you to Genetic Counseling, it can be seen as a favorable thing at any program. Another thing all program directors openly say they are looking for is maturity. Not that age always = maturity, but I think having had some life experiences can add to your sense of maturity during an interview. So in general, I would say most people view it as a positive. There's only one program I researched that called out on their website the extra time in between undergrad and applying as a positive, but I don't remember which program that was (sorry!). Overall, though, I never got the impression that there were certain programs that valued it over others. Hope that helps!

@MaybeGradschool? I'm a "not right out of undergraduate applicant," (but only by a year). I remember when requesting feedback last year, CSUStan did say that me not being right out of undergrad is a positive for my application. I believe UCI and Augustana stated similar things as well. 

18 hours ago, MaybeGradschool? said:

The only concern might be your ability to go back to school if you haven't taken classes for a while. If you have anything to show for your time off (work/life experience, maturity, grad degrees/classes) your age should be a non-factor. I've been able to comment on those things and have had very positive responses. My 2c as someone who's just under 30 with a family.