2017-18 Job Market Support Thread

Eigen

8 hours ago, spunky said:

Just to update the thread, I did receive an invitation for an interview scheduled for next month. I kind of like how on the "unofficial" itinerary they sent to me, everything ends with a restaurant dinner. I'm gonna be wined and dined! Sweet! :D

That's pretty standard, to be honest. Just be sensible with the drinking (or don't drink at all). There are way too many stories of candidates getting tipsy/drunk on interviews. My rule of thumb is one drink with dinner only, but that's just me personally.

Also, remember that they're trying to convince you to like them just as much as you're trying to convince them to hire you. I say this because I've definitely been on campus interviews where, after meeting with everyone, I realized there was no way I could be happy working in that department. Sometimes it's then a sigh of relief to find out they hired someone else. (And, even in those cases, I'm always polite and professional since you never know how things may change in the future for both you and the department. In one case, it turns out that the people that I didn't get along with have mostly retired and I've been invited to apply for a different opening in the same department. Like I said, you never know!)

1 hour ago, rising_star said:

That's pretty standard, to be honest. Just be sensible with the drinking (or don't drink at all). There are way too many stories of candidates getting tipsy/drunk on interviews. My rule of thumb is one drink with dinner only, but that's just me personally.

This. More generally, while there, you are *always* interviewing. Meals, smalltalk with whoever is walking you to your next appointment, chats with the secretary or a random student all still count. 

Most of my interviews have at least a dinner out with faculty (usually 2), and one meal with students (for SLACs). For alcohol, I usually just make sure I order last to get a since for what other people are having. If most of the table are having drinks and I want to join in, I can do so knowing I won't be the odd one out. I've also had water when everyone else was drinking, and that was fine. 

Most faculty like the meals out too- it's a relaxed chance to get to know the candidate, and often for them to get to eat out somewhere they might not otherwise frequent.

On another note, I'd completely forgotten about this thread. 

Been a productive year for me so far- 35 applications submitted so far. One campus interview, 9 additional phone interviews. I was starting to worry a bit, and this week has been huge for phone interview invites. I think I have 6 of the above scheduled for next week alone. 

As with last year (for me), the waiting post-interview is the hardest. You liked them, you thought they liked you, and then you have (usually) at least a few weeks up to a couple of months of radio silence. Either you weren't the first pick, you weren't a pick at all, or the administration is dragging feet. 

Scheduling interviews with a full teaching load is hard, and I'm thankful I have supportive colleagues to cover classes. 

• 1 month later...

Bumping this back up to share- just got a TT offer at one of my top choice schools. 

After 3 years on the market, I have this feeling of missing tension, like there's something I should be looking out for/worrying about, but I think it's just delay in the excitement setting in.