PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

My subfield is in Political Theory and I'm applying to UVa, NYU, Yale, Stanford, U of C and Princeton.

I have no email whatsoever but I just checked the UVa website and it says, "Admission Status: Admit". Trying not to get too excited until I get an email 8). But i'm certainly rather relieved! Wonder if I'm part of the 70% that gets funding for the first year!!!

Haven't heard from any of my schools yet. I've applied to IR/Comparative programs at:

UNC (looooong shot)

Texas (looooong shot)

Georgia (where I really hope to go)

LSU (not crazy about it but i capitulated to a prof. and applied there)

Oklahoma (probably my second choice in terms of what "fits" me best)

Mississippi (safety school)

Tennessee (safety school)

I called Illinois today to see when they were expecting to notify admitted applicants and the assistant told me that the committee was meeting right now. The thought of them going over my application scared the hell out of me. Anyways, I just wanted to give everybody the heads up. Good luck!!!

Rejected by OSU via their website and wait listed by Illinois. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get into OSU, but it's cool. I think I might have taken UNC over them anyway. I'd almost certainly choose UNC over Illinois, though, so that's not a big deal. I could still get an offer from them anyway.

Got one decision of each type now, sweet! :P

Sorry about OSU and Ill., but you have a great school lined up. That surely makes those decisions less painful. I'm still waiting for a decision!

Thanks. You're right, though. If I had gotten these decisions before UNC, I'd be MUCH more stressed. With an offer in hand, this isn't too painful.

Good luck. There'll likely be a lot of decisions being sent out this and next week. I'm sure you and everyone else will get some good offers.

Did anyone get accepted or rejected by Illinois? If you did, how did you find out? I'm almost ready to assume that Illinois has rejected me, and the letter is on its way to my house. As you can tell, I'm a very positive guy.

Flyingwalrus, I'm sorry to hear about you being waitlisted by Illinois and rejected by Ohio State, but congrats on UNC. I haven't heard from anyone and it's honestly driving me crazy. If any school outside of my deep safety would offer me a spot right now if I were to withdraw all of my other applications, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Did anyone get accepted or rejected by Illinois? If you did, how did you find out? I'm almost ready to assume that Illinois has rejected me, and the letter is on its way to my house. As you can tell, I'm a very positive guy.

Flyingwalrus, I'm sorry to hear about you being waitlisted by Illinois and rejected by Ohio State, but congrats on UNC. I haven't heard from anyone and it's honestly driving me crazy. If any school outside of my deep safety would offer me a spot right now if I were to withdraw all of my other applications, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Thanks!

I think it's safe to assume that Illinois has decided whom to offer admittance to seeing as how I got a wait list notification. Whether or not they'd started notifying those people is another question entirely, as they may be wrestling with questions of who gets how much funding.

Congrats, polisciapp and Undrafted! Good luck- I'm sure you'll do great! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, peppermint. But you have already been accepted in political science, right? So did your other post, below, mean that you were previously in religion? I'm confused. Also, why do they interview us if they already admitted people?

Peppermint: I was a PhD student at Emory seven years ago; now I'm going through the process again (and applying to Emory again - sigh). Obviously each division handles things differently, but my division (religion) sends out invitations in late January for their top candidates to visit campus in late February. In some of the "sub-areas" in religion, this means you are accepted -- i.e., they only invite people for whom they have a slot. For other "sub-areas", they invite more people than they have openings and let them fight it out. Long answer to your question; maybe it helps.

polisciapp said:

Thanks, peppermint. But you have already been accepted in political science, right? So did your other post, below, mean that you were previously in religion? I'm confused. Also, why do they interview us if they already admitted people?

That wasn't my post- I think that was in reply to me. This is my first time applying. I'm not sure exactly how the admissions system works. I'm going to send you a message, if you want to discuss it more.