PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Good GRE's?

650v/780Q/5.5AWA

93%/90%/88%

I was aiming to a PhD in Econ, but I was convinced to go this route. I know that others have better but where should these place me in the world of Poli-Sci?

You had great scores across the board. The verbal is most definitely not low. Percentiles are all that matter, not raw scores.

When I was down at UCSD one of the Profs on the admission's committee gave me a little insight into the mystical void that is grad school admissions. He said that at least UCSD looked at your grades/coursework first to determine how well you did and how difficult your coursework was. Then they looked at your recommendations and who they were from. The next important things were your GRE scores and writing sample (or at UCSD, an abstract of a paper). Lastly, they looked at your personal statement to learn what your interests were and your motivations. Now, who knows what each schools prioritizes. I also have to imagine that the top tier schools probably use GPA and GRE scores to eliminate obviously unqualified candidates before starting a lengthier process. I don't know if this provides any comfort or only makes you one more angry, but it is some food for thought. While I was admitted to a top ten program, I know that some of these priorities would have hurt me - especially the writing sample, since I have been out of school for numerous years and do not have a research paper anymore to demonstrate my writing and critical thinking abilities. So it provided me with at least some understanding, if not comfort...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...