PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

peppermint said:

That wasn't my post- I think that was in reply to me. This is my first time applying.. I'm not sure exactly how the admissions system works. I'm going to send you a message, if you want to discuss it more.

Oh, sorry about that. Please PM me. Thanks.

I also got the interview call from Emory. The guy sounded pretty enthusiastic about my application, but that could be what they say to everyone. I wonder how the acceptance odds breakdown for people who make it to this point.

Also, think there's hope for those of us who applied to UNC and haven't heard anything yet?

Also, no word yet from Berkeley. A guy on the admissions committee contacted my professor a week and a half ago who wrote a rec for me (they are friends) to say he liked my app and it was doing strongly with the committee - so I thought for sure we'd hear on Friday.

So hopefully it will be the next few days. Still waiting to hear one official acceptance. Would be a great way to complement Obama tearing it up on Tuesday.

congrats undrafted...maybe ill see at FSU in the fall...

BTW did you hear anything on funding

They said they were meeting later in the month to decide funding. I went down to one of the visitation days this Fall and it sounded like they were trying to increase the stipend from previous years. Housing and cost of living are pretty cheap, especially for a state capitol. I currently work as an economist, forecasting the outlook of metro areas, and if you're even considering buying a house near Tallahassee, this summer is the time to do it, as prices will be bottoming out in the third quarter of 2008.

I also got the interview call from Emory. The guy sounded pretty enthusiastic about my application, but that could be what they say to everyone. I wonder how the acceptance odds breakdown for people who make it to this point.

Also, think there's hope for those of us who applied to UNC and haven't heard anything yet?

Also, no word yet from Berkeley. A guy on the admissions committee contacted my professor a week and a half ago who wrote a rec for me (they are friends) to say he liked my app and it was doing strongly with the committee - so I thought for sure we'd hear on Friday.

So hopefully it will be the next few days. Still waiting to hear one official acceptance. Would be a great way to complement Obama tearing it up on Tuesday.

Then I suppose I will see you down at Emory, the weekend of the 29th. I'm pretty sure the professor who called was reading off of a script, but he definitely sounded very upbeat. I imagine it's a much more pleasant task than getting calls from students who have been rejected but not told yet.

I'm guessing we still have a shot at UNC, based on when people posted their acceptances in previous years.

Arrrrgh. I'm out of time. Have to go to work. But now I know that my days there are numbered :-)

I remain envious towards those of you who are already hearing back. It'll probably be March before I hear back from most of my choices. The exceptions are probably UNC (where I doubt I'll get in) and Tennessee (where I have little interest in going).

I have applied to:

Berkeley

Stanford

UCSD

Duke

Yale

MIT

Princeton

Chicago

Michigan

University of Washington (Seattle)

(International Relations)

No word from any of them yet, so the waiting continues... Good luck to all who have applied, and congrats to those who have already received acceptances.

They said they were meeting later in the month to decide funding. I went down to one of the visitation days this Fall and it sounded like they were trying to increase the stipend from previous years. Housing and cost of living are pretty cheap, especially for a state capitol. I currently work as an economist, forecasting the outlook of metro areas, and if you're even considering buying a house near Tallahassee, this summer is the time to do it, as prices will be bottoming out in the third quarter of 2008.

The Tallahassee housing market has been fairly stable and on the rise, despite of what the bigger markets in Florida are doing. The two biggest issues confronting people buying houses anywhere in Florida are (1) homeowner's insurance and (2) property taxes. Definitely take both of those into consideration before buying. For instance, the market value of your house may be $200K but under Save Our Homes (SOH), you might only be taxed at $83K or so. That part is nice. But they're messing with that statewide right now with some amendments and crud to the constitution. Before buying in Tallahassee, I'd have serious conversations with a knowledgeable realtor. I can't think of a single desirable neighborhood where prices are falling, only a few where year-to-year prices are stable, and, especially near campus, things are either stable or rising.

The Tallahassee housing market has been fairly stable and on the rise, despite of what the bigger markets in Florida are doing. The two biggest issues confronting people buying houses anywhere in Florida are (1) homeowner's insurance and (2) property taxes. Definitely take both of those into consideration before buying. For instance, the market value of your house may be $200K but under Save Our Homes (SOH), you might only be taxed at $83K or so. That part is nice. But they're messing with that statewide right now with some amendments and crud to the constitution. Before buying in Tallahassee, I'd have serious conversations with a knowledgeable realtor. I can't think of a single desirable neighborhood where prices are falling, only a few where year-to-year prices are stable, and, especially near campus, things are either stable or rising.

Median existing home price was $183,740 in the first quarter of 2007 and is predicted to be $162,500 in the third quarter of 2008, but of course how many of us will be earning enough to buy a house anyway?

The median price may be falling but I can say that nothing in my old neighborhood has fallen in price and the house that did sell sold for a few percent more than what people were selling for a year ago. YMMV, of course, but I'm guessing some of that falloff in the median price has a LOT to do with condos and townhouses targeted at students remaining unsold and the builders and sellers dropping the price. Since I don't instantly presume any grad student wants to live in an undergrad-heavy area, I just don't even consider the prices there. Also, it started raining again, reminding people that a good chunk of the city lies in floodplains and maybe they don't want to live there...

Also, it started raining again, reminding people that a good chunk of the city lies in floodplains and maybe they don't want to live there...

Floodplains... now that's something to look into. As much as I love swimming/SCUBA diving, I don't think my potential dog/cat would like it as much as I do. I saw some beautiful new apartments this Fall a few miles east of town, though I would imagine traffic to be a pretty big problem.

At this point, we may want to change the venue for this discussion from here to the Tallahassee city guide thread.