2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

25 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Out of curiosity, what is the average expected salary of someone as a professor in political science?

It depends, really. Location (higher COL=higher salary), prestige/competitiveness (Harvard would pay more than UMass-Boston), and funding levels (state vs. private) can all play a role. On a broad scale, you can probably expect 45-65k, but that is 1. highly variable, and more importantly 2. contingent on actually getting a job, which it in and of itself is tough to do. 

20 hours ago, BunniesInSpace said:

It depends, really. Location (higher COL=higher salary), prestige/competitiveness (Harvard would pay more than UMass-Boston), and funding levels (state vs. private) can all play a role. On a broad scale, you can probably expect 45-65k, but that is 1. highly variable, and more importantly 2. contingent on actually getting a job, which it in and of itself is tough to do. 

That's about right for new assistant professors, per the ASA (though I suspect salary increased over the past couple years, and salary isn't equivalent to compensation)

Edited by Ayerbender

Waitlisted at UW-Milwaukee. If anybody has an offer elsewhere and is not intending to go to UWM, I hope you could decline soon. Thank you. I truly appreciate it.

2 hours ago, csantamir said:

I just declined my unfunded offer.

I hope you receive an offer that funded. Thank you. I am waitlisted both for admission and funding.  

42 minutes ago, Wiesbaden said:

Is there someone who is waiting for the decision of UCSB? 

My understanding was that the process had some hiccups, but I heard back from UCSB over a week ago.

19 hours ago, AlphaLvSim said:

My understanding was that the process had some hiccups, but I heard back from UCSB over a week ago.

What sort of hiccups? I'm still waiting to hear back too.... 

1 hour ago, Coffee114 said:

What sort of hiccups? I'm still waiting to hear back too.... 

I talked with the office and apparently the admit decisions were supposed to go out earlier than they did, but there was a communication error that delayed sign-off by the Dean's office.  Admit day is April 6th, so if you have not gotten a rejection it might be worth calling/emailing.  My conversations with the grad assistant Carol were pleasant and informative.

1 hour ago, AlphaLvSim said:

I talked with the office and apparently the admit decisions were supposed to go out earlier than they did, but there was a communication error that delayed sign-off by the Dean's office.  Admit day is April 6th, so if you have not gotten a rejection it might be worth calling/emailing.  My conversations with the grad assistant Carol were pleasant and informative.

Did you get a phone call or get an email or message from the univ? Can we get an acceptance letter in April?

Edited by Wiesbaden

1 hour ago, Wiesbaden said:

Did you get a phone call or get an email or message from the univ? Can we get an acceptance letter in April?

I got an email with a offer letter.  My actual status on the UCSB portal did not update until days later.  Regarding later acceptances, I am not sure and it was not something that I asked when I called the department for some other clarifications.    

7 hours ago, AlphaLvSim said:

I got an email with a offer letter.  My actual status on the UCSB portal did not update until days later.  Regarding later acceptances, I am not sure and it was not something that I asked when I called the department for some other clarifications.    

The univ. confirmed that I am on the waitlist. They decide to torture me again.

5 hours ago, Richard Jiang said:

I received one from Delaware with $20,000 in the first year, since I had also been admitted by Korbel, I will decline this offer, hope this would help you.

Congratulations!

I also have a funded offer from another school, but I would rather go to Delaware if they accept/fund me.

I do not know how they deal with waitlist in Delaware but let's see. Fingers crossed

I hope they give an answer before April because I want to respond another school.

Thank you.