2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

I cannot believe that I still haven't heard a peep from Georgetown. They told me two weeks ago that they'd send out decisions by no later than Friday the 23rd, which was last week!

At this point, I've decided to assume a rejection and accept my tuition waived M.A. offer which is giving me a paid research assistantship. I'm glad that I at least got that one offer, since the bulk of my Ph.D. applications didn't pan out successfully. Hopefully with the M.A. and two years of research experience, my chances will be improved next time around.

Good luck to those of you still waiting =) 

On 3/27/2018 at 5:30 PM, Haeralis said:

I cannot believe that I still haven't heard a peep from Georgetown. They told me two weeks ago that they'd send out decisions by no later than Friday the 23rd, which was last week!

At this point, I've decided to assume a rejection and accept my tuition waived M.A. offer which is giving me a paid research assistantship. I'm glad that I at least got that one offer, since the bulk of my Ph.D. applications didn't pan out successfully. Hopefully with the M.A. and two years of research experience, my chances will be improved next time around.

Good luck to those of you still waiting =) 

I have applied to Georgetown’s PhD in Theological & Religious Studies and have not heard a peep either...though others have heard rejections or waitlists so far. Don’t lose hope just yet! I called the Dept yesterday which said decisions were made that day, and I would hear something by Friday this week at the latest. They may just have a lot of complications this season for whatever reason and are very delayed in sending out notices. I encourage you to call your relative Dept as well and be a squeaky wheel. 

Interesting situation I've found myself in, I was wondering if anyone could help me understand. I am currently on the waitlist for a school. Today, I received the following email:

Dear NCPolPsych,

I'm reaching out to see if you could come up to visit campus on Tuesday. We're still keeping a close eye on our alternate list, and we want to be in a position to move fast as we get close to 4/15, and also help you move fast on your decision if we are able to admit you. Do you have some time?

Thanks,
DGS

What does this mean for my prospects?? Very confused. 

1 hour ago, NCPolPsych said:

Interesting situation I've found myself in, I was wondering if anyone could help me understand. I am currently on the waitlist for a school. Today, I received the following email:

Making sure you commit if being taken off waitlist? 

4 hours ago, NCPolPsych said:

What does this mean for my prospects?? Very confused. 

My guess is that they're trying to rank the prospective students on their waitlist, so that they can send admissions to the top x students based on how many open spots they have after hearing back from the initial admits. As @Stdrauss said, they also want to make sure that you would accept their offer if admitted - particularly if they are really shooting for a certain number of admits. If this is a program that you would absolutely attend if offered admission, I would strongly advise you to make this fact apparent during your visit.

Edited by dagnabbit

Hi this is my first time on the forum after lurking for a while and I appreciate the advice everyone has given. 

If anyone has an offer from the university of Minnesota but will go to another school, can you please decline the UMN offer?

Thanks

Edited by tiltedscholarxiv

• 1 month later...