2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

8 hours ago, izmir said:

Hey everyone! Do you know if the adcomms read all three letters starting with the one that came in first or the one that you listed on the top of your list? I am worried because my most important letter writer did not submit his letter yet and I want the adcomms to read that letter carefully.

I imagine that there's a lot of variation in how adcomms look at application materials, so I'm not sure anybody will be able to answer this question for you. If the letter is particularly enthusiastic, or if the letter writer is a known quantity, I'm sure committee members will read it carefully.

11 hours ago, izmir said:

Hey everyone! Do you know if the adcomms read all three letters starting with the one that came in first or the one that you listed on the top of your list? I am worried because my most important letter writer did not submit his letter yet and I want the adcomms to read that letter carefully.

The order does not matter.

1 hour ago, audre.bored said:

Anyone else happy/relieved submission deadlines are starting and we can stop looking at application materials?

I am. I've now submitted all of my applications. What happens now is out of my hands!

Congrats to @deutsch1997bw and all those who've completed their apps!

I still have 5 more to submit, 2 of the 5 are completed and 3 left to write a focused SOP for. The end is so near, only a few days worth of work. I think it's going to be a strange feeling to have all of this over after the last few months.

Still it was nice to check in on the December 1st ones today to make sure everything was good and know those are out of my hands.

I'm still waiting 'patiently' for my last recommendation to be submitted in the next 4.5 hours to be in time for my first application deadline of today.

he's told me all week, and again today, that he is doing it...but it's still not there.  will this mess up my admission chances?

13 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I am in the same situation. I have an application due to UT-Austin by midnight!

I hope it gets submitted, but am also hoping if it isn't that it won't be held against me too much.  I submitted the rest of the application last week.  Why the stress though?!

2 hours ago, PerfidiousGerontion said:

Do you think that 161 Q on the GRE is no longer enough for top programs? They like to rehash the figure of "top 80%", and 161 is now top 78%. At some unspecified point in the distant past, even 158 approached 80%.

I've been wondering the same thing, as that's what I got on the Q section. My guess is that it largely is influenced by the quant focus of the program and the quant background we have. My guess is that we're above the "cut off" where the app doesn't even get a serious look, but on the lower side and needing some other quantitative support for the top programs. At least, that's what I'm hoping is the case.

5 hours ago, Hamb said:

I've been wondering the same thing, as that's what I got on the Q section. My guess is that it largely is influenced by the quant focus of the program and the quant background we have. My guess is that we're above the "cut off" where the app doesn't even get a serious look, but on the lower side and needing some other quantitative support for the top programs. At least, that's what I'm hoping is the case.

It's a bit ridiculous to me, primarily because the GRE is possibly the worst possible indicator of whether someone can do quantitative research. I struggled so much with the geometry problems, while the actual stats stuff on there was overly basic and easy to me. But it's not like I invented standardized testing. We've just gotta play into the system. 

I got 158Q (dragged up kicking and screaming from a 142 on a practice test only one month before), but I'm hoping my quantitative research background will make up for it. We'll see.

19 minutes ago, megabee said:

I got 158Q (dragged up kicking and screaming from a 142 on a practice test only one month before), but I'm hoping my quantitative research background will make up for it. We'll see.

I'm in the same boat. While I have extensive quantitative research experience, my quantitative GRE was not good at all. One of my letter writers is a methodologist who happens to be pretty well-connected, so I'm hoping that helps me out.

12 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I'm in the same boat. While I have extensive quantitative research experience, my quantitative GRE was not good at all. One of my letter writers is a methodologist who happens to be pretty well-connected, so I'm hoping that helps me out.

I got a pathetic 143 on my first try, managed to raise it to 151 after 2 months of studying and doing practice tests. 

Hello group! It's been a while since I've posted, so good to see everyone hard at work here :)

Just wanted to offer words of encouragement: I was submitting all my applications this time last year, I definitely remember the anxiety and impatience. This forum is crazy helpful to let off the nervous energy, but it can suck you in. Use it wisely!

Also, wanted to just offer that if any is apply for theory and would like my very, very limited insights, I'm happy to share via PM, or if, more specifically people want to know about University of Virginia, also happy to correspond also. I'll be checking in the forum more with the semester coming to a close. But again, glad to be helpful if anyone would like another set of eyes or perceptive.

Best wishes!