Jump to content

2017-2018 Application Cycle


Recommended Posts

 

23 minutes ago, katieb93 said:

Apparently acceptance letters for Pitt went out in the mail a few days ago.

 

Nothing for me.

Back into my depression hole I go. 

Ah yes, the depression hole. It is absolutely great down here. 

I got yeses from my two safety schools... But they don't handle funding until March. So I'm still sitting here hoping that one of my six remaining schools accepts me and gives me something that says funding.

Has anyone heard from Brandeis? I saw some people got waitlisted and accepted. I haven't seen a single email from them.

2a/0w/2r/6p

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got into Maryland Holy shit I thought I was going to strike out. I'm so freaking happy right now. I actually don't have to go back to Japan now to do PhD work.

She said Yes!!! She is Yale. Claiming an admit, slightly hysterically.  Edit: notified by POI email. 

^ Seek professional help. That goes for anyone that is expressing significant depression symptoms, and definitely suicidal thoughts. Your mental health is way more important than god damn gr

Posted Images

2 hours ago, komina12345 said:

Does anyone know if Indiana finished sending out acceptances or if I'm still in the game with them?

I have said this before (I believe yesterday) and I will say it again. Per the graduate secretary at Indiana, acceptances will hopefully go out next week. I was told this on Monday. At that point, decisions were still being made.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, arctic_ice said:

Rejection from Cornell. It seems to me that this cycle is over for me. I've learned my lesson.While this experience is useful, it nonetheless has a bitter aftertaste. 
It is time to start preparing for the second attempt in upcoming autumn.
Congrats to those of you who did it! I wish you success in your future endeavors!
And yes, please, do not forget to share your experience at the very end of the cycle! :)

Hey, don't lose hope! Prior to entering Harvard for political science, I actually struck out 3 years in a row on medical school. I figured that it wasn't worth it, and I went back to do my MA and got into a Ph.D. program off of that. What I'm saying is that there's always more to look forward to, and your past experiences can only help build up to an even stronger and taller version of you. At the very least, you still have the motivation which is great! I hope the best of luck for you next cycle!

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CambridgeHeismanLord said:

Hey, don't lose hope! Prior to entering Harvard for political science, I actually struck out 3 years in a row on medical school. I figured that it wasn't worth it, and I went back to do my MA and got into a Ph.D. program off of that. What I'm saying is that there's always more to look forward to, and your past experiences can only help build up to an even stronger and taller version of you. At the very least, you still have the motivation which is great! I hope the best of luck for you next cycle!

Wow! I guess as hard as it is to get into a PhD program, medical school much be much harder... How old were you when you started at Harvard, if you don't mind my asking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Wow! I guess as hard as it is to get into a PhD program, medical school much be much harder... How old were you when you started at Harvard, if you don't mind my asking?

I was 29 when I started. I had worked for a good while at a family friend's law firm at my hometown for a bit while also doing some research with a nearby university. I wouldn't say medical school is harder to get into than a Ph.D. program as much as it was the fact that my MCAT and my undergraduate GPA weren't too terribly high. I did far better on my GREs and had near perfect grades with my MA. My only regret is that I didn't approach my undergraduate pre-med with the same attitude as I did with my political science stuff. If I did, I have no doubt I would be in medical school.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CambridgeHeismanLord said:

I was 29 when I started. I had worked for a good while at a family friend's law firm at my hometown for a bit while also doing some research with a nearby university. I wouldn't say medical school is harder to get into than a Ph.D. program as much as it was the fact that my MCAT and my undergraduate GPA weren't too terribly high. I did far better on my GREs and had near perfect grades with my MA. My only regret is that I didn't approach my undergraduate pre-med with the same attitude as I did with my political science stuff. If I did, I have no doubt I would be in medical school.

Is the MA really that helpful for getting into PhD programs? I've heard you're pretty much expected to have a 4.0 in a Master's program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 12:40 PM, BobBobBob said:

Chicago's email came from Kathy in the department. Over 400 applications reviewed. Also highest stipend amount I've seen so far. high 20s.

First, congratulations again!

Second, was it Kathy's name in the 'sender' line? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and checking my email this weekend, since a closer scrutiny of the results board reveals the other department I'd been waiting on sometimes doesn't notify until the tail end of the month.

...But since I haven't checked my email for about a week now, my inbox is bound to be pretty messy, and I'd like to expedite the process via the handy-dandy Search function. Do you mind me asking you for at least part of the sender's name, so I know what to look for? (I can't type 'Chicago'; having lived there, I still get too much crap from Groupon and Yelp.)

Edited by ArcierePrudente
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

...But since I haven't checked my email for about a week now

A gradcafe user who during the height of applications season hasn't checked their email in a week. I'm impressed and slightly jealous

Also, Kathy Anderson is the Chicago administrator and sender yep.

Edited by Sartori
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, arctic_ice said:

Rejection from Cornell. It seems to me that this cycle is over for me. I've learned my lesson.While this experience is useful, it nonetheless has a bitter aftertaste. 
It is time to start preparing for the second attempt in upcoming autumn.
Congrats to those of you who did it! I wish you success in your future endeavors!
And yes, please, do not forget to share your experience at the very end of the cycle! :)

I'm in the same boat. Except I'm not sure whether I would be able to go the second cycle route. Tough luck I guess.

Congratulations to all the admits from my side as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, katieb93 said:

Like is it worth it to spend another $1,000 on applications?

i could have actually enjoyed my life with that money. 

Feels like a PHD is just that for me - a dream.

Try and get waivers! I even emailed some schools saying “really wanna apply, don’t have money to, etc.” and got fee waivers that way. Another person on this thread mentioned not to be afraid to ask your school what they can do for you! I wouldn’t give up if this is what you want to do. 

Another thing that really helped was getting feedback from grad students at said programs to help with statements, how faculty are, etc. 

Plus, you have us! PM if you need help on that kinda stuff, can’t say I can help you get into the school of your dreams but I know a lot of people willing to help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, katieb93 said:

Like is it worth it to spend another $1,000 on applications?

i could have actually enjoyed my life with that money. 

Feels like a PHD is just that for me - a dream.

I feel it. Even with waivers the price for multiple GRE tests and those who won't waive you is so expensive. I got into two of my safety schools this go around and might just take the hit and accept I'm probably not going to the schools of my dreams just to avoid the pain that was this past year. It is a rough call to jump back in a second time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, possibleirphd said:

Try and get waivers! I even emailed some schools saying “really wanna apply, don’t have money to, etc.” and got fee waivers that way. Another person on this thread mentioned not to be afraid to ask your school what they can do for you! I wouldn’t give up if this is what you want to do. 

Another thing that really helped was getting feedback from grad students at said programs to help with statements, how faculty are, etc. 

Plus, you have us! PM if you need help on that kinda stuff, can’t say I can help you get into the school of your dreams but I know a lot of people willing to help!

Good tips for domestic students. I am an international applicant though so the waivers don't work for me. Plus there's the TOEFL test fee and the application fees are also higher for international applicants. These expenses forced me to cut down on my applications and now I'm left with no options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skhann said:

I'm in the same boat. Except I'm not sure whether I would be able to go the second cycle route. Tough luck I guess.

Congratulations to all the admits from my side as well.

I really wish I could help you since you gave a lot of positivity towards my direction when I was despairing a few days ago. I know this doesn't mean much (and I'm not even sure if you're religious), but I'll be praying for your success!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dr.strange said:

Finally received a rejection from Northwestern. It is expected but i'm glad that the wait is over.

It is so frustrating that they send rejections on weekends and one by one ? still waiting

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, komina12345 said:

I really wish I could help you since you gave a lot of positivity towards my direction when I was despairing a few days ago. I know this doesn't mean much (and I'm not even sure if you're religious), but I'll be praying for your success!

Thanks man. Means a lot to me. No I'm not in that much despair so no wandering in the forest for me ;)

I've been through much in my life so this is nothing comparatively. Just that I'm afraid about my prospects in the next cycle, especially all the emotional, logistical and, more importantly, financial hassle involved.

P.S. Good to know things turned around for you and wishing you the best for your future endeavors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.