NSF GRFP 2008

cogdiss

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried calling the GRF Operations Center (spiffy name!) just now. The answering machine message says that applicants will be notified in late March, no mention of early April. Just think...ten minutes from now, maybe we will all know. :roll:

EDIT: Thunderbird seems to be misfunctioning...expected the e-mail from NSF by now...

Funny, my email is malfunctioning too.

Looking back over previous years on here, it seems like they tend to release the results pretty late in the evening (5-7pm), so there's still hope!

At least the revision suggests that we'll get our responses either tomorrow or Friday. Although I guess they've left themselves Monday as well.

yes... and don't forget about "early April." It's most likely that they just never updated the outgoing voicemail message when they updated the web site.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy here, by the way. I just hate the idea of hundreds of the smartest people in the country wasting a week of their lives calling NSF and hitting shift-reload in their web browsers. If only 52 of us do that then we've wasted an entire year of NSF-applicant quality brain power! Look how many reloads this thread has gotten already.

I'm sure there's no way they'd update the site to include "or early April" if there were really any chance that the results would be out in March -- bureaucracies just don't work that way.

If results come out tomorrow or Friday I will print out my NSF rejection e-mail, film myself eating it, post it to youtube, and link it from here.

Secretly, I think you're right, but that's still not enough to keep me from refreshing the NSF GRFP website every five seconds or so. Plus, watching you eat your rejection email would make the rest of us who get rejected feel a little better...

I'm sure there's no way they'd update the site to include "or early April" if there were really any chance that the results would be out in March -- bureaucracies just don't work that way.

Why would they leave the word march, if there was not a chance for March? They would have replaced March with April if that was the case. I am guessing it will be out sometime between March 28-April 4. Lets hope for an earlier date, since there are a lot of us wasting lots of time waiting for results.

Well, that's good to know, I suppose, although I'm sure more than a few of us won't be able to help repeatedly refreshing until then anyway. How did you get through to someone?

I literally never know what NSF is doing during this time--they've got to be sitting on the results, which is pretty maddening. I'm sure it takes a lot of organizational prep to devastate thousands of people, but still. Just frustrating to know that it's all been decided already, and yet we're sitting here in limbo (to put it nicely).

Hate to be a bearer of mediocre news, but talked to an actual human(!) at GRFP and they told be early next week.

x2.

Well thunderbelly, it looks as if I will not be watching you swallow your award notification. But that's okay, because I am now able to picture it in my head quite well, thanks to all of the details.

I'm wondering - I've heard that NSF doesn't talk to your potential grad program at all. However, it wouldn't make sense for them to give a fellowship to someone that got rejected from that program. Am I correct to assume that if I didn't get accepted to my program I talked about (but did get into an even stronger program - I had discussed the original school due to location for a study), that I can't get the GRFP award? Is the award completely contingent on the specific program?