NSF GRFP 2008

cogdiss

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"we're just waiting on some final award confirmations."

I can't figure out what that might mean. Final award confirmations? Maybe they do a final pass through everyone's application to check for eligibility or something? With whom might they otherwise need to confirm?

I'm glad I won't have to consume any potentially toxic ink-jet output but I must admit that I was really, really hoping to be wrong. My faith in others' ability to make a deadline is low enough though that, to my mind, "Wednesday at the latest" probably means "Thursday if you're lucky but most likely Friday."

My BF tells me I'm a sour puss and to get off the computer. :)

With whom might they otherwise need to confirm?

My guess is that they need to confirm with all of the previous recipients whether they plan on using NSF funding during the 2008-9 school year. I doubt NSF puts $120,000 away in a vault for each fellow - they probably have to allocate $40,000 per fellow on a year-by-year basis. NSF fellows defer for other fellowships (like the NDSEG), or take time off, or whatever - people think up some creative ways to spend three years' worth of money over a five year period - but NSF needs an exact count of fellows who want $40,000 for the 2008-9 school year, because there is no waitlist. Meanwhile, Retard von Already-awarded-an-NSF-and-ruining-everyone-else's-spring-break-ington is on a Watson Fellowship in Namibia and can't be reached by phone or e-mail, so the GRFP Operations Office has to sit on its hands and wait for his reply.

ug. so do i even bother checking my email tomorrow during the day at all? what sucks is i'm supposed to be writing a qualifying paper, but i can't finish a paragraph without: 1) checking my email 2) checking FastLane 3) checking this thread 4) searching technorati/google blogs for "nsf grfp 2008."

in that order. i'm pathetic. at least when this is over i might be able to get some writing done. :|

I hear you. I'm defending my masters this week...unfortunately my prep is consisting mostly of the actions you mention above. Damn you, Retard von Already-awarded-an-NSF-and-ruining-everyone-else's-spring-break-ington!

Sorry to hear you guys have actual work to do, I feel like an asshole for complaining. Still, it's going to be soooo sad when I realize I've put all this time into preparing my app and checking my e-mail, only to be rejected. I will not even have a youtube video of thunderbelly "eating his/her words," so to speak, to comfort me in those trying times.

Maybe I will just lie to all of you :wink:

I will not even have a youtube video of thunderbelly "eating his/her words," so to speak, to comfort me in those trying times.

I'm tempted to toss Monday into the bargain too, but I so desperately want to know by Monday that I can't bring myself to do it. sorry.

At least we can be reasonably confident that this is our last weekend of waiting. Next weekend my excuse for not working will be that I have to go through the grieving process for my rejected NSF bid. :|

Hopefully we all get an email either way tomorrow! If they wait until Tuesday, they could play an April fools joke on use - e.g. accepted/rejected all of us or continue delaying the release. They might actually find such a prank amusing!

Ok, no, this is seriously getting ridiculous.

Personally I vote that someone else should call and try to get them to say whether or not it will be today. When I called I tried to sound really pathetic (wasn't too hard), and the guy sounded pretty sympathetic. I can officially get nothing done...

Put us out of our misery!

I don't have anything posted... I guess this is bad news :( But I can still hope! NSF sucks. Also, I think everyone and their mom is trying to log into fastlane right now, since it took five minutes to load the home page without any images... also, my last name starts with an F. So extra bad news if its alphabetical.