Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

Its just that I'm not sure how strong the fit should be. One school is specialized in my general geographical region, but there isn't a theoretical fit. One school kinda shares my thematical focus on environmental anthropology and my geographical region, but when I look at their cources I'm missing certain things. I don't want to spend money on schools that I think would have better matching applicants, but like you said I do wanna cast a wide net. Pfff :P 

@EvelynD yeah I understand. I typically look at the courses too. Some of the schools that I applied to I had to frame my statement in how my POIs interest in “d” fits with my interest in “g”. I think each time I came back to theoretical alignment than geographical at some schools. 

Unfortunately decided to look at the survey/results page.......

UMass Amherst has a deadline of Jan 15th but reports back pretty early around the beginning of Feb. Berkeley sends outs emails mid to end of Feb :angry: ..Stanford around mid-Feb-March. 

Feb will be here soon. I still have to finish my MA applications which I have no worries about :D

@waltzforzizi 2 of my programs send out interview invites in the next two weeks (I think my only two programs that do interviews) so I'm currently freaking out. One of them is super high on my list (as in, depending on how visits and acceptances go, it would probably come down to it and the school I've already been accepted to) so I keep checking my application status and the results page. x]

@GreenEyedTrombonist Wow, I would be excited and scared at the same time, haha. I read about your first acceptance! Congrats on that.

I have mentioned before I don't expect to receive any acceptance letters from these top programs ( Amherst MAYBE)), that's not a cushion lol, but I wanna know NOW and receive feedback from my main POI. They started sorting and organizing apps after Dec 1, return on Jan 9th. I feel like an email for an interview would be sent out mid-January, if they do interviews at all. 

Oregon University used to be at the top of my list for anthropology program because of it's holistic and applied approach, but I'm assuming your intended program will be different? I found NONE of the faculty members had research related to mine. It seems to be a sociocultural, medicinal and bioarch dominated program.

I heard Boston U is expensive, but their university states Ph.D. candidates receive funding. hmmmmm

@waltzforzizithanks! Actually, because of my interests, I ended up only applying to Comm/Media programs (despite having an MA in anthro). UO is picking up a new prof related to my interests and has a few other cool POIs. Boston might be fun, but they discourage emailing POIs before an acceptance, so not sure what will happen there. 

Don't give up hope! I believe in you! :) 

54 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@waltzforzizithanks! Actually, because of my interests, I ended up only applying to Comm/Media programs (despite having an MA in anthro). UO is picking up a new prof related to my interests and has a few other cool POIs. Boston might be fun, but they discourage emailing POIs before an acceptance, so not sure what will happen there. 

Don't give up hope! I believe in you! :) 

Haha, thanks but its okay if I don't receive any offers from the Ph.D. programs. I'm from California too. Arent, you worried about non-resident fees? That's weird about not emailing POI at Boston.

@waltzforzizi I'll have to double-check the financial offers, but I believe my tuition should be waived wherever I go so I'll double-check, but I don't think it'll be an issue. I'm more worried about experiencing winter and remembering to feed myself. :D 

10 hours ago, phyanth said:

All applications are submitted, and school admin are back! Now, to pass time patiently...

4 hours ago, AnthroPhDHopeful said:

Best of luck, all. It just figures that the schools I'm most looking to hear from seem to send their notifications out in very late February/early March!

@phyanth @AnthroPhDHopeful I'm in the same position although I'm still not sure about hitting the submit button for a few MA programs. Time will HOPEFULLY fly faster then we think...

21 hours ago, AnthroPhDHopeful said:

Best of luck, all. It just figures that the schools I'm most looking to hear from seem to send their notifications out in very late February/early March!

Me too I guess, and I'm not even going to make the same mistake as last year and check the results page. I'm just going to wait untill I get email,s or notifications from app acounts. 

On 31-12-2017 at 4:32 PM, Bschaefer said:

@EvelynD yeah I understand. I typically look at the courses too. Some of the schools that I applied to I had to frame my statement in how my POIs interest in “d” fits with my interest in “g”. I think each time I came back to theoretical alignment than geographical at some schools. 

I took your advice and found a super cool school I actually have a great fit with. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, EvelynD said:

I took your advice and found a super cool school I actually have a great fit with. Thanks!

Great! I actually found doing that opened up a lot of programs and interesting collaborations! 

@GreenEyedTrombonist I've long succumbed to checking the results page multiple times a day... I know the earliest I would hear back is mid-January, but it doesn't stop me in the slightest.

The only thing distracting me from all of this is HQ Trivia, online shopping, and eating like a kid in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. 

6 hours ago, phyanth said:

@GreenEyedTrombonist I've long succumbed to checking the results page multiple times a day... I know the earliest I would hear back is mid-January, but it doesn't stop me in the slightest.

The only thing distracting me from all of this is HQ Trivia, online shopping, and eating like a kid in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. 

Yeah, I keep refreshing as well. It seems as if especially tempting for us. The survey results mainly consist of people from physical science or humanities...rarely see an anthro or arch until several posts ( or years) deep. 

10 hours ago, phyanth said:

Hahahaha, mine is binge watching the X-files in preparation for the new season, and trying to keep my house clean. Only one of those two things is working...

So for one of my SoP's I have to provide an anticipated timeline. Does anyone mean what they mean by that? There is already a clear timeline in the graduate handbook so I wonder what they want me to add. My PoI is working in the field right now and he won't be back before the deadline. 

@EvelynD I would think just a general outline of your progression in fieldwork and research, like “I plan to apply for field research grants and work in the field every summer for 2 months; initial field research would allow me to decide the best field setting and build rapport”. Something like that? Obviously a little more formal, haha, but that is the best I can think of. 

1 hour ago, Bschaefer said:

@EvelynD I would think just a general outline of your progression in fieldwork and research, like “I plan to apply for field research grants and work in the field every summer for 2 months; initial field research would allow me to decide the best field setting and build rapport”. Something like that? Obviously a little more formal, haha, but that is the best I can think of. 

Thanks! Thats really helpful. I'll mix it up with what I've seen in the handbook!

On 1/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, Archaeodan said:

Finally submitted my last application! Feaaaaaar

Woo-hoo!

I, in the meanwhile, am still waiting for one of my professors to submit their LoR. Ahhhh . . .