Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

16 hours ago, phyanth said:

Opened my e-mail this morning and saw an e-mail that said "Application Status Update", became really excited, and opened it to find that it was changed to ready for review by program...

This is going to be a rough month of waiting, haha. 

I keep getting stupid emails from other departments or schools with deceiving subject titles. My heart aches every time I finished reading the title.

Actually anytime I see a bold 1 or 2 in Gmail, I freak out. I can't stand it. 

What questions did y'all ask your interviewers? I'm pretty sure I'll be comfortable with whatever they can throw at me, but in the moment, I know I'll be too nervous to come up with good questions for them...

1 hour ago, Archaeodan said:

What questions did y'all ask your interviewers? I'm pretty sure I'll be comfortable with whatever they can throw at me, but in the moment, I know I'll be too nervous to come up with good questions for them...

@Archaeodan I asked my interviewer what support the dept provides in grant writing, placement of graduates, how I would be involved in their research/opportunities to publish, the dynamics of dissertation advising/committee (collaborative, or mainly working with POI?), What their approach is in advising students (see everyday? Meet once a week? Hands off?), and ease of interdisciplinary studies (e.g. taking additional stats classes, medical classes, whatever is relevant to you). 

Hope this helps, and good luck! I’m sure you will do well :)