Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

@EvelynD Yeah, there was a thing that happened that made me stressed about it. I've moved into the acceptance phase, haha. 

I've been working on my SoP and should have it ready for a first round of edits this week. :) 

I don't think it's good yet, but I'm getting my thoughts down on paper and progressing so I'm counting it as a win. I've got more emails and writing to do today, but I also have a phone interview soon, haha. 

How are you doing?

@GreenEyedTrombonist Sounds like you're kicking ass with your SoP.  I didn't finish my first draft until the first week of October!  Also, I wouldn't stress too much about cross-disciplinary letter writers.  My letter writers last cycle were a museum professional with an MA in Art History, an anthropologist, and two historians (one of whom has PhD in American Studies).

@museum_geek Oh, what I have for the first draft will definitely not be good. Hoping that a bunch of nice people will be willing to edit so I can make it something decent. 

Yeah, I was speaking about it with my 3rd committee member. She's in Comm, but she only had me for an undergrad class and wasn't really involved with the steps of my project (though she provided very thorough edits that helped the final product) so she wasn't comfortable being an LoR. She mentioned it probably won't be a big deal as long as the profs know me and can speak to my skills in a doctoral program.

20 hours ago, museum_geek said:

@GreenEyedTrombonist Sounds like you're kicking ass with your SoP.  I didn't finish my first draft until the first week of October!  Also, I wouldn't stress too much about cross-disciplinary letter writers.  My letter writers last cycle were a museum professional with an MA in Art History, an anthropologist, and two historians (one of whom has PhD in American Studies).

The overall impression that I get from you is that you really know what you are doing! Wouldn't want you as my competition! So I'm sure your SoP will be great.

I'm still in the business of hunting  looking for programs. I have 5 programs secured on my list (3 are second tries, and I'll have to contact mu Poi's again, but I'm thinking of taking Toronto off the list), and I'm waiting to hear back from 2 more. Just wanna make sure that I can be admitted directly to a PhD program with my MA degree. Haven't started on the SoP yet, I haven't got the piece of mind until I have found at least 8, but hopefully 10, good programs. Oh, and I'm super anxious my letter writers won't help me this year. Fun, fun, fun. 

11 hours ago, adengyuchen said:

oh crap sorry i have been away from grad cafe for a while. I will send them your way when i have them ready, if the offer is still up :D thanks!

You show you yours, and I'll show you mine!

Hi everybody, 

I have a really critical question. I know it might be too late to ask for 2018 cycle, but anyway. My background is in Mechanical Engineering and I am going to finish my MA studies in Science and Technology Studies (STS) at York University. I took two courses from Anthropology Department, and I found them super exciting and I made my decision to pursue it in graduate studies (MA/Ph.D.). Due to some family issues, I prefer to leave Canada and apply for US universities, but as you know they hardly fund MA students so it is not the best choice for me (though I prefer to strengthen my background in MA). On the other hand, Canadian universities fund MA studies, and I believe I have a better chance to get an admission from at least one of them. Now my questions are: 

1. Do you think that I have any chance to get an admission from a well-known social and cultural anthropology Ph.D. program in the US? Considering my kinda irrelative background. 

2. Is it better to apply for a Canadian MA program first and then go for Ph.D.? or Do you know any funded master program in the US that I can apply? 

I really believe that I am passionate and dedicated enough to Ph.D. program, it is just that I am not sure how can I get an admission based on my background. 

1 hour ago, rhlabbasinejad said:

Hi everybody, 

I have a really critical question. I know it might be too late to ask for 2018 cycle, but anyway. My background is in Mechanical Engineering and I am going to finish my MA studies in Science and Technology Studies (STS) at York University. I took two courses from Anthropology Department, and I found them super exciting and I made my decision to pursue it in graduate studies (MA/Ph.D.). Due to some family issues, I prefer to leave Canada and apply for US universities, but as you know they hardly fund MA students so it is not the best choice for me (though I prefer to strengthen my background in MA). On the other hand, Canadian universities fund MA studies, and I believe I have a better chance to get an admission from at least one of them. Now my questions are: 

1. Do you think that I have any chance to get an admission from a well-known social and cultural anthropology Ph.D. program in the US? Considering my kinda irrelative background. 

2. Is it better to apply for a Canadian MA program first and then go for Ph.D.? or Do you know any funded master program in the US that I can apply? 

I really believe that I am passionate and dedicated enough to Ph.D. program, it is just that I am not sure how can I get an admission based on my background. 

Hey @rhlabbasinejad ! Welcome to the dark side (aka anth, haha). Before any of us can really answer your main question, what are your specific research interests within anth? What do you want to study, where do you want to study (research location, not school), and how do you want to study it? Since goodness of fit is super important in an application, answering these questions may help us narrow down programs at which you would be happy.

Now, as for the two questions you have listed. Other than a lack of classes, I know nothing of your background. Everyone has a chance to get into a PhD program, but there are a lot of factors to consider. What can you leverage that would make you a good anth applicant? Have you tried to attend conferences, done any research outside of school, spent time exploring what anth has to offer outside of the two classes you took? Furthermore, is your research topic connected to your previous studies in Mechanical Engineering or can you leverage that degree towards your future studies? I don't know much about mechanical engineering, so this example may not connect, but I did a project where we partnered with Nissan to explore how people interact with parking and how that might change with the adoption of autonomous vehicles. Most anth programs will state that they consider your SoP (aka where you show goodness of fit) the most important factor in an application with GRE and GPA seen as less important and usually used to create a basic cut-off more than anything else. Given your different background, I have no idea how your GPA will factor in, but GRE scores should have the same weight. 

As far as funded MA, that's tricky. There are many MA programs in the US that do not state they are funded (and quite a few that do), but they actually provide employment opportunities that can cover or reduce tuition. For instance, I did not attend a funded MA, but I became a TA and had my tuition waived (plus a monthly stipend) the last year of my program. In the first year of my program, I worked as an RA and had a federal grant reduce my tuition. It may be safer to go Canada first (don't mean to pry and no need to answer, but I am a bit curious about what kind of family issues make all of Canada not an option), but, as an ignorant citizen of the US, I know very little about Canadian programs. 

I need some help understanding the meaning of two messages I got! I reached out to two people (well, a lot more, but these two lft me with questions) from different schools, and I don't understand their answers. Basically, I introduce myself and my project, and end the email by asking if my ideas fit with their own research specialties and the faculty in general. 

Usually I get a clear yes or no, but today I got this:

Prof A: 'It sounds like prof. 1 and 2 you mention in your email already are good advisors, since I don't know about your topic. However, besides a committee you also need mentors'.  

Prof B: 'Our ideas match, but I will be leaving this uni soon. However, if you have the cahnce to visit us we can talk about your ideas'.  

What exactly do they mean, and how do I respond? Can I mention Prof A in my SoP as a mentor? I think Prof B is being polite, but since she is leaving I can't mention her. Urg,..you Americans and your meanings ;)

@EvelynD Was that the entire message from A? I mean, they outright say they wouldn't be a good advisor since they don't know your topic. Maybe ask them to clarify the different roles advisors and mentors have within that program? 

It does sound like Prof B is being polite. If you don't have any immediate plans to visit that university, I would probably respond by thanking them for letting you know, expressing sadness that they are leaving the program, and asking if it would be possible to remain in touch with them (if you want to).

1 minute ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@EvelynD Was that the entire message from A? I mean, they outright say they wouldn't be a good advisor since they don't know your topic. Maybe ask them to clarify the different roles advisors and mentors have within that program? 

It does sound like Prof B is being polite. If you don't have any immediate plans to visit that university, I would probably respond by thanking them for letting you know, expressing sadness that they are leaving the program, and asking if it would be possible to remain in touch with them (if you want to).

I'll send you a PM!

Is it a bad sign when a PoI doesn't reply to your emails? Last year I reached out to prof A but never recieved a reply. I recently emaild him again because he is also the director of the graduate school, and I had a question about the app proces. So far no reply.

And in late July I wrote to prof. B (different school), and haven't gotten a reply either. I'm thinking about sending him a new message because I reached out to him over the summer and maybe this was bad timing. 

Does this mean they aren't interested, or am I making too big of a deal out of it? 

1 hour ago, EvelynD said:

Is it a bad sign when a PoI doesn't reply to your emails? Last year I reached out to prof A but never recieved a reply. I recently emaild him again because he is also the director of the graduate school, and I had a question about the app proces. So far no reply.

And in late July I wrote to prof. B (different school), and haven't gotten a reply either. I'm thinking about sending him a new message because I reached out to him over the summer and maybe this was bad timing. 

Does this mean they aren't interested, or am I making too big of a deal out of it? 

They could either be too busy or they could just not be interested, there isn't one answer for all cases. These professors get loads of emails every year from prospective students and they probably forget to respond to most of them. The summer is super tricky, esp. for anthro when people are on fieldwork. I would definitely encourage you to send another letter their way because in all likelihood it just sank to the bottom of their inbox while they were out of the office.

But it's also important to think about it from your perspective- do you want to work with someone who won't respond to your emails?

36 minutes ago, EvelynD said:

Also, how do I tell a 2016 PoI that I am reapplying? How do I formulate this in my email?

It's ultimately up to you how you want to phrase it, but I would start out by thanking them for their time the previous cycle and then mention you have taken steps to better/strengthen yourself (maybe took their critique?) and are planning to apply again. I don't think there's a need to overthink it!!

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! Thats why I'm sending prof. B another message, but I'm hesitant about applying at Prof. A's school, him being the graduate director and all. 

As for the reapplying, I kinda did what you suggested and I've already gotten a positive reply from that. Good to hear that you guys are suggesting to do the same thing!

1 minute ago, tealmadonna said:

I'm not sure if I should submit a super specific research proposal or focus more on my experience and interests and how it relates to International Cooperation (which is what I have done s far). My undergrad was in an unrelated field (Media Studies), so I'm a bit lost if I have to go in-depth about thesis plans etc.

Have you tried emailing the department / graduate office and just ask? 

3 hours ago, EvelynD said:

Only half of the professors I emailed last cycle responded.  Of those who did respond, only about half had meaningful responses beyond "just apply and we'll see what happens."  I didn't have any prior contact with the professors at the school I ended up choosing, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's going well so far!  The first couple weeks were overwhelming at times, but now that we're 6 weeks into the semester I have a better handle on things.  I'm really fortunate to be in a close-knit, supportive department - everyone has really gone out of their way to make our first year cohort feel at home.  The workload has been heavy and teaching 60 students in addition to classes gets stressful, but that's just part of the bargain!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4-10-2017 at 11:28 PM, suavesana said:

Hi everyone! I'm reapplying this year too. I have a [kinda final] draft of my SoP if anyone is willing to edit -- and I'll of course edit anyone's as well! I'm feeling really positive about this year. Good luck to all of us :) 

Good luck! I've got a SoP that is kinda ready to be considered as a first draft, we can exchange if you like?

I just found out that one of my programs has a priority deadline for funding at november 1st. didn't know, so now I have to rush things, especially my GRE scores and LoR's. Urg...

@EvelynD I think if you send them this coming week, you should be fine! I actually just sent mine this past week because I know that I’ll forget until it’s seconds from the deadline haha. Plus they say it can take up to a couple days, but its really fast. 

LoR’s on the otherhand is a gamble - I’m in the same boat, I have 2 people out of the 4 I want to ask so far! 

Where are you applying to again?