Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

Thanks for all the insight! There’s one school that hasn’t responded, but it’s also in Canada, so they may have a difference policy. I’m still going to apply because my research is literally a perfect match with the POI there.

Hello all! Would anyone else be interested in a personal statement exchange? I'm at the rough draft stage on mine and would really appreciate some anthropologically-knowledgeable eyes on it. In case it's relevant, I'm applying to sociocultural and linguistic programs emphasizing in science/technology, politics of knowledge, post-structural theory, social media, fiction, and/or conservation discourse. Happy to read anything/provide feedback in return.

Wooo! Back for round 2! Kinda feel like not getting in last year was for the best. Did a lot with this year, have a much better statement written, and I'm actually slightly excited to get back into the saddle of this grad school application madness. Applying to 4 this year (maybe more), all with December 1st deadlines, and I'm moving for a new job on Nov 23rd. I'm running on caffeine and luck and I'm pumped.

@Archaeodan awesome, hope you have a better go of it this round! :) 

It's my first round for PhD, but I'm not holding my breath. I emailed POIs, they responded, I sent more stuff to them, and radio silence (With the exception of one)..... :(

One application down, three to go!

In an irritating turn of events, the school I applied to had a 500-word maximum for the SOP until last night when it had changed to 1000! *facepalm* I decided against rewriting it. It's out of my hands now!

Good luck Jamesaly! 

I've turned in 2 apps by now, and 3 coming up on December 1. There is one thing I am struggling with, and that is the question of how my problem/question is relevant in anthropology. 'Because I like doing this' probably isn't the right answer. Can you guys help me out a little bit? How do I explain why my ideas are relevant?

Thanks @EvelynD! The relevance to anthropology isn't so much about what you think about the subject, but rather where it fits in with anthropological literature. In my statement, I wrote things like this project builds on the anthropological tradition of analyzing X to understand Y (e.g. Famous Scholar A, Famous Scholar B, Famous Scholar C, My POI). I should add that I only included citations in one SOP since most say they should be implicit.

Also, another way to rethink the question is 'What makes my research anthropology?' Usually it has more to do with the methodology or the way you've framed your question, but it's an admittedly hard question! If you can answer that you have a framework for an excellent response to the question. 

I hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Only TWO DAYS until the first big deadline!! :blink: Anyone else freaking out? I feel like once everything is submitted, I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about if I'll even get in to a single school :blink: Anyone else like this? 

Still waiting on one rec letter. She's a friend, so it's hard to keep pestering her because I don't want to make her feel bad, but like damn. Doomsday is very close. And I know as soon as these go in, I'm gonna be a ball of nerves. My job requires me to be on my emails at all times, so it's super gonna enable constant freaking out. My poor coworkers lol.

This thread reminded me to check and my last rec letter (for the app due Dec 1st) is in! App complete! Now to wait for the last rec letter for all the others, get a GRE thing worked out for one of them, and then wait forever to hear back, haha.

@phyanth Aight, so my last rec sent me a text saying she's got them fully written, just needs to submit when she gets a free second. WOO. That's a load off. 

I'm applying to Georgia Geography (anth prof has an appointment in both departments), Penn State Anth, Brown Anth, and Chicago Ecology (cool collab project). Possibly also BU Anth if POI says yeah, but that's January 15th deadline.  Chicago is the only real sticking point here, because they require the whole package including recs by Friday. So yeah. Been a fun week lol.

Edited by Archaeodan
tagging didn't catch

Yes! Both my December 1st apps are in. I've got two more mid-month - just waiting for one last rec letter to submit. Between the GRE, transcripts, and application fees ($110 USD for one?!?!) these applications are quite the financial bullet.

@Archaeodan Woohoo!!! That's awesome; it's terrifying when you've finished everything and turned it in, only to hope that your professors turn letters in on time too! I think mine are all going it on time, yasss

@jamesaly FOR REAL. I'm applying to eight different schools, and it's going to run me near $1000 to apply. And that's $1000 I don't have :o But thankfully, I got a fee waiver from one of the most expensive schools, you should look into it if you qualify!!!

All of my Dec 1st deadlines are in, PHEW. Now, on to the Dec 15th deadlines!

FYI for anyone applying to UTK, I talked to the anth dept on the phone and the woman let it slip that so far, they only have 75 applications. Now, I'm sure that's going to jump in the next few days, but 75 is much better than 200 or 300, eh? 

Edited by phyanth