Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

So. I feel that trying to reach a goal requires wearing blinders - you're just going for your target and there is an inherent assumption that you will reach it. Now that my applications are in, the blinders are off and it's just hit me - I might not be accepted anywhere :blink: I only applied to four programs - all excellent fits with several POIs - but one is a top 10, two are in small towns... Now that all the deadlines have passed, I'm regretting not casting my net a bit wider and applying to at least one more in a city... just to (hopefully) have some options. I don't know. Anyone else?

@jamesaly, I completely understand where you’re coming from. I was originally going to apply to 4 schools, and then realized that I might be limiting myself; There are probably plenty of professors who would be interested in what I want to do, even though it’s not necessarily a 100% perfect fit. So I ended up submitting 5 apps so far, and 4 coming up. I can’t really afford to apply to many schools, but thankfully I got waivers for 3 of the most expensive applications. 

There are many schools who have a Jan 1st deadline, so you could still pull together an application by then! 

@phyanth - True! I just wanted to give myself the best possible chance with my limited selection. I think I would feel more comfortable with even one more, especially if it was in a city. Do you know any (sociocultural/applied) programs with January 1st deadlines?

@jamesaly, I'm not too familiar with sociocultural depts with regards to strength of program, but I know UC Riverside is an 5th, WashU/WUSTL is Jan 1st, and Cornell is Jan 1st. You might want to do some intensive digging around online :)

Ugh, also feeling like I might have overestimated my chances with my schools! I had a strong application and an MA from a good university (interdisciplinary, but I worked in their anthro. dept., which is top ten). I only have "perfect fit" POIs in two of the schools, though, and there are certain things about my application I think could really slash my chances...

I applied to 5 schools, 4 of which are top 10... I am now freaking out and want to throw in some more applications for January, but mostly I'm afraid of hassling my letter writers again after telling them I was done with apps! Any advice on this? Should I just bite the bullet and email them?

58 minutes ago, sideeye_emoji said:

I applied to 5 schools, 4 of which are top 10... I am now freaking out and want to throw in some more applications for January, but mostly I'm afraid of hassling my letter writers again after telling them I was done with apps! Any advice on this? Should I just bite the bullet and email them?

This!

@sideeye_emoji and @SmallAxe Haha, you will have to. I'm sure they won't mind, I don't know how much they edit letters from school to school.

But seriously. If you're going to apply to more schools, let your letter writers know sooner, than later, to give them ample time and notice. 

IT'S HAPPENING. I was browsing through results this morning and saw that there was an interview offer for someone in Bio Anth at University of Minnesota. 

Can I start freaking out now??? Anyone else hear about interviews? It seems so soon! :o

Edited by phyanth

Breathe @phyanth and then let's freak out together :D 

One of my programs (Comm) moved up their deadline so they sent first round acceptances yesterday. I'm ecstatic about getting in, but not about the month and a half I have to wait to hear from other schools, haha.

37 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Breathe @phyanth and then let's freak out together :D 

One of my programs (Comm) moved up their deadline so they sent first round acceptances yesterday. I'm ecstatic about getting in, but not about the month and a half I have to wait to hear from other schools, haha.

Oh my goodness, CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy and excited for you :) You can officially breathe a sigh of relief haha, I'm so jealous!

Edited by phyanth

59 minutes ago, phyanth said:

IT'S HAPPENING. I was browsing through results this morning and saw that there was an interview offer for someone in Bio Anth at University of Minnesota. 

Can I start freaking out now??? Anyone else hear about interviews yet? It seems so soon! :o

Did you apply to Minnesota? I have a friend from undergrad currently there doing bio anth and she loves it.

So, I received an email notifying me that they’ve created a student number for me... and how to apply for housing/financial aid, should I choose to attend. It didn’t say anything about me being accepted. Am I reading too much into this??? Is it common practice to assign student numbers to applicants? It seems counterintuitive.

13 hours ago, phyanth said:

So, I received an email notifying me that they’ve created a student number for me... and how to apply for housing/financial aid, should I choose to attend. It didn’t say anything about me being accepted. Am I reading too much into this??? Is it common practice to assign student numbers to applicants? It seems counterintuitive.

I think those are automatically generated. I've been receiving recruitment emails from one place (e.g. 'Our campus has great research facilities - here's a list...'), a student number and supplementary forms from two others. I sent my GRE scores to Chicago after the exam and they sent 'Looking forward to your application' and 'Why you should come here' emails. I did not end up applying but I did like the approach. 

On 12/23/2017 at 1:31 PM, phyanth said:

All of the schools that I applied to gave me a student number so that I could easily track my application. I wouldn't say that you've gotten accepted until you hear from the university or your POI.

On 21-12-2017 at 7:38 PM, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Thanks @phyanth ! I may have messaged nearly everyone I know about it yesterday. I may have also shouted it at my parents 3 times each and printed off the letter to make others read just in case I was hallucinating... :D 

Omg,  how did I miss this? Congrats, Im so happy for you! 

I am freaking out for no special reason...I just checked the results page (so dumb, imo this only makes me geel worse) and one of my fav schools is already sending out acceptances for other departments. The departmental deadline is in january but the graduate school deadline was in november. I know results for anthro are not related to other departments, but still! 

18 hours ago, Bschaefer said:

I am so happy that all of my applications have been submitted - now the dreaded wait....

Congrats! I still have one deadline on January 31, and I'm still deciding about 2 schools, to submit or not to submit...

11 hours ago, phyanth said:

I just have one more app and two scholarship essays to go... Almost there! Hopefully we all start hearing back early Jan for interviews.

@Bschaefer, have you heard from Brown about interviews? 

As of right now no, I think my POIs said they’d get in contact after the new year due to the uni being closed. I think first week or so for interviews. I do know they don’t always interview too so I guess it depends what’s going on internally etc. 

10 hours ago, EvelynD said:

Congrats! I still have one deadline on January 31, and I'm still deciding about 2 schools, to submit or not to submit...

Thanks! Id say submit because it will be a wide net of programs.