DrPH Applicants Fall 2018

RR02

Hey Everyone! Just wanted to create this topic for those who are applying to DrPH programs to begin in the Fall of 2018! I'm beginning to look at programs and browsing through this board, so it would be great to hear from others who are doing the same. We can share our thoughts/updates/support here throughout this application cycle that we are about to begin soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also planning to apply for the Fall 2018 cycle and also browsing through this board for insights. Finally, 8 years after finishing my MPH (Tulane) and saying every year, I'd apply to doctoral programs, I'm finally going to do it this year. So nervous but looking forward to the process. I'm undecided between DrPH and PhD programs. Career-wise and based on my experience, I think a DrPH will be more useful to me but I'm worried about the dearth of funding for DrPH programs (especially as I'd be an international student) so I'm also looking at PhD programs as well. What schools are you looking at? 

• 2 weeks later...

That's great that you're applying for this cycle! I'm about to begin the second year in my MPH program, so I'm hoping to continue on with the DrPH program a few months after I graduate. I'm looking at a few schools -- really considering UIC and Johns Hopkins at the moment. Which schools are you looking at? 

Funding is also a concern that I have. There's actually going to be a SOPHAS virtual fair on July 11th, so i'll be on and chatting with school admissions and financial aid reps -- funding is surely going to be a topic i'll be asking about.

• 5 months later...

I am hesistant to apply to the DrPH program and hopefully you all can help me by roasting me. Seriously, give me feedback based on my background. Do I have a shot? Thinking Johns Hopkins with a Quality and Safety Track:

• Sergeant, United States Marines 8yrs (Multiple Deployments to middle east and horn of africa in both humanitarian aid and combat operations)
  • MBA with a 3.89 
  • Certified Lean Six-Sigma Black Belt (yes, we use two-means T-Tests, Z-Tests, hypothesis testing, control charts...and high level statistical analysis)
  • Adjunct Professor in combined MBA/MSN program at Capital University (ACPSB Acreddited)
  • Worked professionally for 8+ Years for: Zimmer Biomet (Clinical Team Leader, Orthopedics), Cardinal Health (Hospital Consultant and Pharmaceutical Distribution Mananger for North American Distribution hub), Nationwide Children's Hospital (Sr. Quality and Safety Leader responsabile for clinical quality and safety improvement for all ambulatory health, QI Coach and teacher for the Quality Improvement Healthcare Executive).
  • GRE: 5.2 Writing, 160 Verbal, 147 Quant

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I am considering applying for Fall 2018.

I am American (but currently based with an NGO in West Africa) considering the DrPH program at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I have 7+ years working with various non-profits and charities both stateside and abroad and already hold an MPH and MPA. Further down the line, I would love to transition out of the NGO space and into the UN system/WHO in a higher level (managerial/technical adviser role at an overseas post, likely still in SSA or in Geneva). I just finished my two graduate degrees a couple of years ago from one of the top (but most expensive schools in the US), so I am definitely racking up the debt in school loans and a part of me is unsure if I need my DrPH at this point in my career or if I should wait it out as I hold a decent job overseas working with health programs and with a charity that has room for growth.

I'm applying to GW's Health Behavior program; I've also applied to MPH programs at Johns Hopkins, Emory, Drexel, and Tulane since some admissions counselors were a bit apprehensive about pursuing a DrPH without an MPH or more coursework in biostats.

Undergrad School: Private liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Psychology
Grad School: Ivy
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): Master of Education in Prevention Science
GRE: 163 V/157 Q/5.0 AW
Experience/Research:
- Three years as peer health educator in undergrad
- Three years as research consultant writing socio-emotional health curriculum
- CDC PHAP program - program coordinator for a school-based STI screening program, program evaluation and intervention development for LTBI patients
- Presented twice at PHAP seminars, presented to TB PEN on LTBI work, had poster on same project accepted to TB Union conference but was unable to attend
- Fellowship with CDC focused on adolescent health policy

Special factors: Some admissions counselors seem to like that I've taken a nontraditional route into public health

LORS: Current CDC manager, 2 program managers and chief medical officer from PHAP host site, master's thesis advisor if need be

Interested in: School-based healthcare, adolescent health, socio-emotional development, infectious disease, domestic health policy

Edited by boisdejasmin

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, PublicHealth18 said:

Does anyone know about the new DrPH program at JHU? I've tried researching more about it but can't find much information because it's a newer program that they just re-vamped.

They have quite a bit of information on their website: https://www.jhsph.edu/academics/degree-programs/doctoral-programs/doctor-of-public-health/

The curriculum page details the concentrations and you can find all the courses you need to take etc.

30 minutes ago, DrPH_WannaBe said:

I still haven’t heard from GW or Hopkins... health behavior at GW and customized track at Hopkins 

Don't worry, me neither. I looked at the Results tab from previous years -  I'm hoping GW will have been in contact by the end of Jan. Hopkins took forever last year, so I'm not expecting to hear from them before the end of Feb.... sigh..

Hi All!

We're in that very exciting and fun period waiting to hear back from schools *insert sarcasm*. So far, I've only heard from GW (Health Policy)-completed my interview this week and I think it went well so crossing my fingers that I will hear some good news in the next month or so :-) Sounds like all the departments are handling interviews differently so don't despair. Also waiting to hear from Tulane, Berkeley, Drexel, UT-Houston, UNC, and FIU (PhD). 

I had my interview with GW - Health Behavior today and I felt like it went well - my panel was pretty big so those 20 minutes went very quickly. One professor wanted to follow up with me so I'm looking forward to that next step. Overall, GW was very friendly and I'm excited to see where this goes.

5 hours ago, boisdejasmin said:

I had my interview with GW - Health Behavior today and I felt like it went well - my panel was pretty big so those 20 minutes went very quickly. One professor wanted to follow up with me so I'm looking forward to that next step. Overall, GW was very friendly and I'm excited to see where this goes.

Always fun to get it over with, that's for sure! How many people were on the other side of the screen? I'm interviewing for their PhD program on Monday and wondering how many faces to expect...

13 hours ago, ianmleavitt said:

Always fun to get it over with, that's for sure! How many people were on the other side of the screen? I'm interviewing for their PhD program on Monday and wondering how many faces to expect...

There were three panelists on video and I think three professors called in. Good luck on Monday!

20 hours ago, boisdejasmin said:

Was your interview for PhD or DrPH. I applied for Health Behavior DrPH and haven’t heard anything either way from them. I know some people have gotten rejection letters and others have interviews but I think I’m in some middle group. 

10 hours ago, DrPH_WannaBe said:

Was your interview for PhD or DrPH. I applied for Health Behavior DrPH and haven’t heard anything either way from them. I know some people have gotten rejection letters and others have interviews but I think I’m in some middle group. 

DrPH, hope you get an invite soon! Mine came on the evening of the 19th.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:31 PM, DraPHt2016 said:

Hi All!

We're in that very exciting and fun period waiting to hear back from schools *insert sarcasm*. So far, I've only heard from GW (Health Policy)-completed my interview this week and I think it went well so crossing my fingers that I will hear some good news in the next month or so :-) Sounds like all the departments are handling interviews differently so don't despair. Also waiting to hear from Tulane, Berkeley, Drexel, UT-Houston, UNC, and FIU (PhD). 

I also applied to the Health Policy track, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'm worried that might mean a rejection :/ If you don't mind me asking, when did you get asked to interview and was it via email or phone?

20 hours ago, PubHlth said:

I also applied to the Health Policy track, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'm worried that might mean a rejection :/ If you don't mind me asking, when did you get asked to interview and was it via email or phone?

I received the email on the 11th of January and interviewed (over the phone) on the 26th. They said I would not hear anything back until the end of February/early March so they could be going through rounds of interviews until they get a good candidate pool. Don't give up hope!

On 1/31/2018 at 1:13 PM, DraPHt2016 said:

I received the email on the 11th of January and interviewed (over the phone) on the 26th. They said I would not hear anything back until the end of February/early March so they could be going through rounds of interviews until they get a good candidate pool. Don't give up hope!

Thanks so much for the info! I won't give up hope just yet. Also, best of luck to you!!

I applied to predominantly PhD programs, but did apply to the DrPH at GWU for Health Behavior (interview went well I think) and the DrPH at the Colorado School of Public Health. Has anyone applied to or heard from that program?

Edited by emjayco

On 2/7/2018 at 10:07 PM, emjayco said:

I applied to predominantly PhD programs, but did apply to the DrPH at GWU for Health Behavior (interview went well I think) and the DrPH at the Colorado School of Public Health. Has anyone applied to or heard from that program?

Have you been in touch with anyone at GW since your interview? I was expecting to get some notification to set up 1:1 interviews with professors sometime this week.