DrPH Applicants Fall 2018

RR02

2 hours ago, Ebou said:

Had an interview USF yesterday and am hoping all goes well. They said they would be making their final decisions the end of this week and begin sending letters out in the next two weeks.

Good luck! What this for the DrPH program?

I know I have asked this before but has anyone heard from Boston University's DrPh program? I emailed them the last week of February and was told that decisions haven't been made yet but thought I would hear something by now. Assuming I didn't get in since I was never contacted for an interview but it would just be nice to have an official answer. 

On 3/15/2018 at 8:38 PM, boisdejasmin said:

Anyone else get a notification for financial aid from GW? What I'm viewing only offers me $33,000 in fed unsub loans :(

I haven't gotten any sort of notice yet. I completed my FAFSA just before it was due. I'm trying to avoid loans at all costs, and hope to find some sort of position with the university as I plan to leave my current employer and will need to relocate to the DMV area. University employees qualify for tuition remission - research personnel qualify the 1st semester coinciding or following the appointment date while staff have to wait 180 days (!) to qualify.  

Not sure what your situation is like but maybe this is an option you can consider as well?  

54 minutes ago, Eris2018 said:

I haven't gotten any sort of notice yet. I completed my FAFSA just before it was due. I'm trying to avoid loans at all costs, and hope to find some sort of position with the university as I plan to leave my current employer and will need to relocate to the DMV area. University employees qualify for tuition remission - research personnel qualify the 1st semester coinciding or following the appointment date while staff have to wait 180 days (!) to qualify.  

Not sure what your situation is like but maybe this is an option you can consider as well?  

I have a friend currently at GW finishing his DrPH and what you've described is what I was expecting in terms of funding. He said in the past they've been very good about finding slots for students on campus and moving them to research jobs as they become available. Both PhD/DrPH programs should  be graduating a good number of students this year which makes me more hopeful that there will be more space, but the timeline for that (everyone completing defense/whatever else they need to graduate) and the April 15th deadline probably don't align perfectly. I've emailed GW and will call tomorrow if I don't hear anything back today.

2 hours ago, boisdejasmin said:

I have a friend currently at GW finishing his DrPH and what you've described is what I was expecting in terms of funding. He said in the past they've been very good about finding slots for students on campus and moving them to research jobs as they become available. Both PhD/DrPH programs should  be graduating a good number of students this year which makes me more hopeful that there will be more space, but the timeline for that (everyone completing defense/whatever else they need to graduate) and the April 15th deadline probably don't align perfectly. I've emailed GW and will call tomorrow if I don't hear anything back today.

GW emailed me back and said I wasn't selected for funding, disappointing but I'm glad I finally know.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:46 PM, DraPHt2016 said:

Just got an email from Drexel that an admissions decisions had been made. Logged into the online portal and I was accepted. No financial aid info at this time.

Congratulations!!! And without an interview, that's awesome. Which track? I haven't heard back yet.

35 minutes ago, boisdejasmin said:

GW emailed me back and said I wasn't selected for funding, disappointing but I'm glad I finally know.

I wasn't selected either, but I'm trying to see what else I can find through the department, the Institute, or on campus. It isn't ideal but I'm going to see what comes along. I'm hopeful something will work out or that once I'm in the program, I'll secure a research position. I haven't accepted my admission yet though, because this does make me nervous, and I potentially have other options elsewhere. I just really like their program (sigh). 

Will you still try and attend without guaranteed funding for the fall semester? 

50 minutes ago, Eris2018 said:

I wasn't selected either, but I'm trying to see what else I can find through the department, the Institute, or on campus. It isn't ideal but I'm going to see what comes along. I'm hopeful something will work out or that once I'm in the program, I'll secure a research position. I haven't accepted my admission yet though, because this does make me nervous, and I potentially have other options elsewhere. I just really like their program (sigh). 

Will you still try and attend without guaranteed funding for the fall semester? 

I have a fully funded offer at the University of Maryland, so I'm feeling like I should play it safe and take that opportunity. 

9 minutes ago, boisdejasmin said:

I have a fully funded offer at the University of Maryland, so I'm feeling like I should play it safe and take that opportunity. 

Yeah that would be very hard to pass up, and congrats! 

I'm still waiting to hear from one program, and otherwise have a potential year-long funded fellowship abroad that I'm also pursuing. Eventually I may have to make the hard decision of either going to GWU and hoping it works out financially (my anxiety spikes just thinking about it), potentially going to the other program (and weighing a PhD v. DrPH), or taking the possibly once-in-a-lifetime fellowship opportunity and reapplying for doctoral programs in a year or two.  

I'm tired, as I'm sure we all are at this point. 

2 hours ago, NotSoPatientlyWaiting2018 said:

Congratulations!!! And without an interview, that's awesome. Which track? I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks! I was admitted to the Health Management and Policy department. I'm a "reapplicant"(?) and talked with the program manager before I applied on how I could be more successful.  No funding though (boo!) 

1 hour ago, drphhopeful said:

called USF today for an update...didn't give me much info, just that applications are still being reviewed and applicants should be informed within the next month. 

*sigh* I don't understand how they make us submit waaaay before everyone else and still can't make admissions decisions over FOUR months later >:-|

6 hours ago, Eris2018 said:

There was a deadline for the FAFSA!?!? The Associate Director for Fin. Aid just said I need to have the FAFSA in at least 4 weeks before I plan to begin courses.

11 minutes ago, DraPHt2016 said:

Thanks! I was admitted to the Health Management and Policy department. I'm a "reapplicant"(?) and talked with the program manager before I applied on how I could be more successful.  No funding though (boo!) 

*sigh* I don't understand how they make us submit waaaay before everyone else and still can't make admissions decisions over FOUR months later >:-|

There was a deadline for the FAFSA!?!? The Associate Director for Fin. Aid just said I need to have the FAFSA in at least 4 weeks before I plan to begin courses.

I just double checked and the deadline apparently varies by state AND can vary by college, so I'm sure you're fine. Especially if that's what the Ass. Director told you.  You can check deadlines here https://fafsa.ed.gov/deadlines.htm# 

Hi, has anyone heard back from FIU for their PhD program? I emailed them 2 weeks ago and they finally emailed me back last week saying I will know within a few days but it has now been over a week.

Edited by TFPubHealth

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 10:22 AM, DraPHt2016 said:

I emailed Dr. McCoy (PhD coordinator) last Wednesday to ask when we would get a decision, but I never heard back from her. Someone posted in the results that they had been accepted via email on March 13th. Maybe we are on some kind of waitlist and they are waiting to see who will accept before they send us a decision??

Just an update, I checked my application status online and it does say admitted, I haven’t received any formal written acceptance from the school as yet so you may want to check the online portal. 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, DraPHt2016 said:

Oh okay, thanks for the update and congratulations! Do you plan on attending?

My app is still showing "incomplete" in the portal (it's not incomplete-I resolved that issue several weeks ago) , but I do not see anything about an admissions decision.  *sigh* 

Good luck! & I’m not sure about attending, still waiting on funding, that’ll be the deal breaker for me. 

16 minutes ago, DraPHt2016 said:

Thanks! Did you ever receive anything official from them or only the update in the portal? I emailed Dr. McCoy and the PH Coordinator on Friday. :angry:

And @TFPubHealth

Do you know if they offer funding for those applying for the spring semester? I'm interested in applying but don't know if I should just wait until next year. 

Also, anyone applying to usf's drph.... How many years of experience do you have ? Is there funding? Feel feel to PM with any info. Thanks!

1 hour ago, hccgrl said:

And @TFPubHealth

Do you know if they offer funding for those applying for the spring semester? I'm interested in applying but don't know if I should just wait until next year. 

Also, anyone applying to usf's drph.... How many years of experience do you have ? Is there funding? Feel feel to PM with any info. Thanks!

I applied to USF and was rejected. MPH and 6.5 years of public health experience. Idk what they wanted! lol Per the website DrPH students aren't eligible for doctoral fellowships, but they are eligible for various school scholarships. 

22 minutes ago, DraPHt2016 said:

I applied to USF and was rejected. MPH and 6.5 years of public health experience. Idk what they wanted! lol Per the website DrPH students aren't eligible for doctoral fellowships, but they are eligible for various school scholarships. 

Thank you. Yea, i have 8+ years of working in health care and 2/8 have been as a project coordinator in community health, so it seems as though I'd have to wait a few more years to apply for that program.  They were my dream school for years, until I did a campus tour and met with a handful of faculty for their PhD program... I couldn't get a feel of what they wanted, but it sure as heck seemed like it wasn't me. Granted, that was a different department than the Drph, but still. 

Did you have any contact with that department or any faculty? Have you asked them why you were denied?

20 hours ago, hccgrl said:

Thank you. Yea, i have 8+ years of working in health care and 2/8 have been as a project coordinator in community health, so it seems as though I'd have to wait a few more years to apply for that program.  They were my dream school for years, until I did a campus tour and met with a handful of faculty for their PhD program... I couldn't get a feel of what they wanted, but it sure as heck seemed like it wasn't me. Granted, that was a different department than the Drph, but still. 

Did you have any contact with that department or any faculty? Have you asked them why you were denied?

Wow! 8 years is a lot. I don't think you would need more than that to apply, but what do I know :D

I had contacted a professor I was interested in working with before I applied and I felt like we had a good connection. I asked about how the admission decision was made/how I could improve and I got the following blanket statement:

"Please note that your  application was carefully reviewed by a faculty admissions committee. Due to the large number of applicants, it is essential for the faculty committee to select the most qualified students with the best possible faculty match for maximum success in the doctoral degree. The decisions are final  for this admission cycle. However you are welcome to appeal the decision for Fall 2019 with an updated resume and personal statement, and we will add your appeal to the applicant pool for Fall 2019 to be reviewed by the faculty admissions committee."

That does not really tell me a whole lot. Maybe my personal statement needs fine-tuning(?), though I thought I was very concise and specific regarding my interests.