Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

2 hours ago, narple said:

Seeking advice:

I am really struggling to cut down my thesis to an appropriate writing sample length. It feels so choppy. Can I leave out an entire section? Or should I try to fit in a bit of each? I leave descriptions in brackets of what I cut, but it is just not pleasant to read. Any advice is appreciated.

@Sigaba has given excellent advice in this thread and the one on writing sample (several threads down) about shorting your work to fit within limits.  In your case, keep a section that demonstrates your ability to integrate both primary and secondary sources and analyze them as part of your larger argument. You can preface your sample, "This section is part of my thesis on X, which argues Y".

1 hour ago, astroid88 said:

Tip: Avoid looking at your application materials once you've submitted them. Your mental health will thank you for it. 

Gaiman’s First Law: Picking up your first copy of a book you wrote, if there’s one typo, it will be on the page that your new book falls open to the first time you pick it up.

This may sound like a really basic question and I apologize if it's been answered elsewhere, but what format did you use to submit your writing samples?  I don't mean PDF vs. Word or whatever, but what formatting options are "standard?"  (The application I'm working on doesn't specify.)  I'm using a chunk of my MA thesis that's been edited a bit; I'm assuming that it should have page numbers (not sure about name at the top of the page since it's part of my application materials) and be double-spaced.  Any other suggestions?  I'm also unsure about footnotes vs. endnotes in the sample, as I can see the benefits of either; endnotes reduces the choppiness of the pages and makes it a bit more consistent for reading purposes, but then again it's probably nice to have the sources right there.  (Also, I used footnotes for my thesis so I'd have to go back and switch to endnotes if that's preferable, which is fine but would be a little bit time-consuming.)

Thanks in advance for your advice, I really appreciate how helpful everyone is here!

5 hours ago, fortsibut said:

This may sound like a really basic question and I apologize if it's been answered elsewhere, but what format did you use to submit your writing samples?  I don't mean PDF vs. Word or whatever, but what formatting options are "standard?"  (The application I'm working on doesn't specify.)  I'm using a chunk of my MA thesis that's been edited a bit; I'm assuming that it should have page numbers (not sure about name at the top of the page since it's part of my application materials) and be double-spaced.  Any other suggestions?  I'm also unsure about footnotes vs. endnotes in the sample, as I can see the benefits of either; endnotes reduces the choppiness of the pages and makes it a bit more consistent for reading purposes, but then again it's probably nice to have the sources right there.  (Also, I used footnotes for my thesis so I'd have to go back and switch to endnotes if that's preferable, which is fine but would be a little bit time-consuming.)

Thanks in advance for your advice, I really appreciate how helpful everyone is here!

I submitted my first two apps this past Friday. Honestly, I didn't even put the page numbers for one of my writing samples. One application wanted the whole thesis, so that obviously had the page numbers. But  for the app that wanted just a chunk, I copied and pasted parts of my sample that I wanted to show without adding the page numbers. Probably should have in retrospect, but the application instructions did not require it.

Oh, I also used footnotes and then gave my project's full works cited at the end. 

I think what you are proposing is fine. Take it with a grain of salt, though. I'm in the application process as well. 

Edited by astroid88

16 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Footnotes for easy referencing, especially that profs won't read the whole thing and you can save them the trouble from scrolling back and forth.

Hey everyone, I've been gone from GradCafe for forever, but I wanted to wish all of this year's applicants the best of luck and remind y'all to breathe! Do things that take your mind off applications, especially after you submit them :)

Now, I'm going to return to my cave, as I am knee-deep in the dreaded comps year. I'll try to pop in occasionally, especially when offers start rolling in and you may have questions about visiting programs, deciding between them and negotiating for funding. I found that to be the most exciting and terrifying part of the entire process. 

6 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Hey everyone, I've been gone from GradCafe for forever, but I wanted to wish all of this year's applicants the best of luck and remind y'all to breathe! Do things that take your mind off applications, especially after you submit them :)

Now, I'm going to return to my cave, as I am knee-deep in the dreaded comps year. I'll try to pop in occasionally, especially when offers start rolling in and you may have questions about visiting programs, deciding between them and negotiating for funding. I found that to be the most exciting and terrifying part of the entire process. 

Good to see you!  You got this with your exams!  Do COME BACK :)

9 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Thanks for the advice and good luck studying for the comps.  Hope you can drop in from time to time to provide answers as another veteran of the PhD process.  

On 12/4/2017 at 11:53 AM, astroid88 said:

Tip: Avoid looking at your application materials once you've submitted them. Your mental health will thank you for it. 

I should have taken this advice. I noticed I misspelled a scholar's name wrong on the first page of my writing sample. I was trying to improve my thesis from my senior year before I submitted but I guess I didn't proofread well enough. My personal statement looks good though... I think. 

I submitted all my applications in November so I am trying to keep preoccupied and not check the application status every day. Thankfully, work has been busy enough to keep my mind off of it. I e-mailed the professor of my top choice to see if he was taking students next year. He said he was going on sabbatical but that I should still apply and we might be able to work around that if I am admitted. Not quite sure how to take that but I think I should be optimistic. 

Good luck everyone! 

LPT: Put your SOPs into a text-to-speech website and have it read back to you. I have found so many tiny grammar errors and missing words that I did not catch while reading. But when it's read out loud, you'll immediately notice if something is out of place.

10 hours ago, lordtiandao said:

LPT: Put your SOPs into a text-to-speech website and have it read back to you. I have found so many tiny grammar errors and missing words that I did not catch while reading. But when it's read out loud, you'll immediately notice if something is out of place.

The newer versions of word have this feature. It’s pretty easy to use. It’s called Read and you can set it to different voices and speeds. Reading aloud doesn’t catch every error, but it helps catch a lot.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:25 AM, fortsibut said:

I use footnotes, but that is because I do my own translating and like to have the original language easily accessible in the footnotes. Endnotes would be a pain for the reader.

6 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Do not use endnotes unless you wish your paper to be hurled about an office with particular abandon. 

I tried to read an article the other day with translations- all endnotes.  I haven't finished reading it because I hate having to flip to the back to see what the original work stated. Blegh.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:25 AM, fortsibut said:

Don't use endnotes. Endnotes are frequently used in publishing to reduce the space each page takes up.

3 hours ago, telkanuru said:

Do not use endnotes unless you wish your paper to be hurled about an office with particular abandon. 

This. As an aside, I know there are financial reasons why publishers make authors use endnotes instead of footnotes, but I hate it with the fire of 1000 suns.

5 hours ago, telkanuru said:

Even to create more space for content for applications that require a 10 page writing sample? I already did this for one of mine because it listed a 10 page limit, but said that I could include references in the body or at the end. That said, I have more coming up that with the same length requirement that I could edit it back for.

15 hours ago, Account6567 said:

Even to create more space for content for applications that require a 10 page writing sample? I already did this for one of mine because it listed a 10 page limit, but said that I could include references in the body or at the end. That said, I have more coming up that with the same length requirement that I could edit it back for.

Is this Penn? I went nuts with my Penn application last year, changed the font, moved the margins, used endnotes--everything that I would not recommend, and I got in. Their 10 page thing is horrible. 

3 hours ago, OHSP said:

Is this Penn? I went nuts with my Penn application last year, changed the font, moved the margins, used endnotes--everything that I would not recommend, and I got in. Their 10 page thing is horrible. 

Yep- Congrats on getting in! The 10 page requirements really are such a pain...

My position tends to be that for places with inane requirements, like a ten page writing sample, a few norms can be bent which would be courteous and wise to observe elsewhere. For example: endnotes. I think Penn expects this, too, or they wouldn't have explicitly included the note about how you can have your references at the end.

On 6/22/2017 at 5:05 PM, gsc said:

you should consider Rutgers — specifically, Donna Murch, who is actually finishing up a book on policing/the war on drugs. 

Just saw this, but I did my BA at Cornell and took a bunch of courses with Julilly Kohler-Hausmann. She would be an excellent grad advisor. She does really, really interesting work on the Rockefeller drug laws and is just a wonderful human. 

I have a last-minute question. Would you spell out in your SoP that this is your top choice school and you will commit if admitted?

5 hours ago, VAZ said:

I have a last-minute question. Would you spell out in your SoP that this is your top choice school and you will commit if admitted?

I would say it is fine to mention that a school is your top choice if that is true, but I would not suggest you would commit if admitted.  The former might be held in your favor if debating between two equally qualified candidates.  There is even a post about it in the stickied retrospective thread at the top of this subforum.  However committing to attending would be less advisable because it gives you less room when negotiating funding.  Yes its not a legally binding contract, like say, early admission in undergraduate, but saying you would commit is a promise and breaking it (or suggesting you will break it to negotiate) is just a good way to burn bridges early in an academic career.

I would wait for a second opinion because I am not sure how valuable my advice is.

All my apps were due December 1st.  Good luck to everyone who has them due today.  Take a short break before you hit submit and come back to review the materials with a fresh mind.

6 hours ago, VAZ said:

If you felt the need to spell it out, then your statement is not persuasive enough.  For fellowships and jobs, nobody ever writes, "This is my top choice" because applicants must let their work/projects/ideas speak for themselves.  Your SOP should clearly demonstrate ways that the adcoms and the faculty in your subfield can imagine working with you on intellectual basis for the next 5-8 years. Write in a way that you cannot imagine yourself being anywhere else.

You also don't want to backtrack on your commitment should another school offer better funding and/or show you things that you didn't know about as an applicant.  Most professors are reasonable people and know that applicants/prospective students have high anxiety about getting in and will forgive... but you never know who's going to hold a small grudge.  Better to, as I say, "let cards fall where they may".  You've done your best.