Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

3 minutes ago, idoitchicagostyle said:

Im currently a UCLA undergraduate. And I cant have a higher praise of Goldman.

Hi there, fellow Bruin. I was an undergrad at UCLA too and it looks like I might be going back for grad school! haha

Edited by lordtiandao

6 minutes ago, lordtiandao said:

Hi there, fellow Bruin. I was an undergrad at UCLA too and it looks like I might be going back for grad school.

Welcome back to the school! I also applied to UCLA in the Chinese history field. I knew I didnt get nominated actually 3 weeks ago. You guys beat me in the race! But I sincerely congratulate you. I 100% trust Goldman's judgement.

Edited by idoitchicagostyle

4 minutes ago, idoitchicagostyle said:

Welcome back to the school! I also applied to UCLA in the Chinese history field. I knew I didnt get nominated actually 3 weeks ago. You guys beat me in the race! But I sincerely congratulate you. I 100% trust Goldman's judgement.

Thank you so much! Have you applied to any other programs?

3 minutes ago, lordtiandao said:

Thank you so much! Have you applied to any other programs?

I did. I applied to Harvard, JHS, Columbia, Princeton, UCLA and Chicago for Phd. Oxford, SOAS ans LSE for master. It is my first cycle, so I dont really expect too much. I might as well do a master first. I already got an offer from SOAS :)

I see your whereabout is Hong Kong. Are u studying there? And if you dont mind, can you let us know which other school accepted u?

4 minutes ago, idoitchicagostyle said:

I did. I applied to Harvard, JHS, Columbia, Princeton, UCLA and Chicago for Phd. Oxford, SOAS ans LSE for master. It is my first cycle, so I dont really expect too much. I might as well do a master first. I already got an offer from SOAS :)

I see your whereabout is Hong Kong. Are u studying there? And if you dont mind, can you let us know which other school accepted u?

Congratulations and best of luck with your other applications! I got an offer from SOAS too way back when I was applying to Masters programs too, but I passed it up to come to Hong Kong. I'm doing my MPhil here in Chinese history here (one of the good things about Hong Kong is that all MPhil programs are fully funded). The other school that accepted me was, funnily enough, USC haha.

14 minutes ago, lordtiandao said:

Congratulations and best of luck with your other applications! I got an offer from SOAS too way back when I was applying to Masters programs too, but I passed it up to come to Hong Kong. I'm doing my MPhil here in Chinese history here (one of the good things about Hong Kong is that all MPhil programs are fully funded). The other school that accepted me was, funnily enough, USC haha.

Very nice to meet you. I wish to talk to you more, but I figure we shouldnt be spamming this post with our convo, of which others might find little interests. I will message you, if you dont mind. For others, I apologize if our previous comments take up more spaces than they should.

5 hours ago, khigh said:

...Boyfriend and I are talking about writing a phenomenological paper on women in Berlin in 1945. I would love to do one on Magda Goebbels or Jenny Marx, but both of those would be difficult.

If you need help finding source material from either of them, send me a PM. I live in Berlin and have started my own research in the Bundesarchiv and Staatsbibliothek. Just a heads up, though, any material dealing with Goebbels (even his wife and family) is extremely hard to get your hands on. The German government and archivists have been limiting access to these types of documents because of the possibility for misrepresentation and misuse, especially with the current political environment in Europe.

14 minutes ago, Tigla said:

If you need help finding source material from either of them, send me a PM. I live in Berlin and have started my own research in the Bundesarchiv and Staatsbibliothek. Just a heads up, though, any material dealing with Goebbels (even his wife and family) is extremely hard to get your hands on. The German government and archivists have been limiting access to these types of documents because of the possibility for misrepresentation and misuse, especially with the current political environment in Europe.

If I go down the Magda road, I will for sure let you know. The home videos were really hard to watch with the girls playing with Blondie. I have the diary, home videos, speeches, and Michael. I’d love to do something on Jenny Marx, but her diaries got destroyed in the Blitz. 

@khigh I'm not sure if you have seen these documents about Jenny. https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/letters/jenny/index.htm

If you do a little digging in the unexpected corners of the internet (mostly focusing on Marxist-feminists) then you might be surprised at what pops up.

UPDATE:

The archive took down the uploaded files. Sorry, but the link is useless now and can now be removed from my bookmark tab.

Edited by Tigla

7 minutes ago, Tigla said:

@khigh I'm not sure if you have seen these documents about Jenny. https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/letters/jenny/index.htm

If you do a little digging in the unexpected corners of the internet (mostly focusing on Marxist-feminists) then you might be surprised at what pops up.

UPDATE:

The archive took down the uploaded files. Sorry, but the link is useless now and can now be removed from my bookmark tab.

I have them. I wrote a paper about revolutionary women at one point. Her diaries were stored in a church in London that caught on fire during the Blitz. Her diaries are supposed to contradict what she actually wrote to people. Emma Goldman had some second or third hand knowledge about the private Jenny, but even that might have been a facade. She didn’t seem to really like falling down the social ladder, but we won’t ever know how she really felt now. 

Got a phone call this morning from the prof I've been talking to about my app. It wasn't bad. it was one of those "it's not you, it's us" calls. They just don't have a Dutch person right now and they wouldn't want me to switch my focus. I told them about wanting to look at the Dutch in the Mediterranean, which it seems will be a much better approach for next cycle. I am going to the consortium meeting on the 21st to listen to a talk on poetry in the EM Med. I am going to take a break from looking at anything to do with apps and then spend part of the summer redoing all of it.

I was told that they were impressed with the original translations in the writing sample and asked if I had more translations or if i had only done them for that paper. I'm 250 pages into translating a 750 page travel memoir. Soooo, was told to use a spot in the extra materials section to put about 10 pages of translation next time- there is no one there that does Dutch language, so showing I can do that on my own helps. Oh, and add a translation of EM Italian because no one there does Italian. They are VERY heavy on the French side for EM except for one and they do Central Europe.

I feel a lot better today and thought some of you may find that translation information to be helpful in the future.

4 minutes ago, hrmit said:

Hey I keep seeing people posting info about specific dates that universities sent out letters on, in previous years. Where are you getting this info??

The results section of this website. There’s a bar for it up at the top of the site or you can just google it.

15 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

The results section of this website. There’s a bar for it up at the top of the site or you can just google it.

Thank you so much!

40 minutes ago, cocakolakowski said:

Still haven’t heard anything from St. Louis yet, so fingers are still crossed. It is one of my top choices.

Hang tight.  In the meantime, have a chuckle over at the lego grad student website to ease your waiting anxiety.  

44 minutes ago, cocakolakowski said:

Still haven’t heard anything from St. Louis yet, so fingers are still crossed. It is one of my top choices.

I hate the weekends the most because nothing ever happens but I'm still sitting around on edge like...7787795.thumb.jpg.6ae1fadd20f1be1d6761841f1ad365fe.jpg

5 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

@DGrayson it's not completely silent.  Either eighteen decisions today or reported today.  

I think some depend on time zones. For me, at a certain time (usually around 8 pm), posts updated are given a time stamp for the next day. That, and quite a few are just updates--still useful though. Generally speaking, however, there doesn't seem to be a lot of movement on the weekends. 

1 hour ago, earlycalifornia said:

It's not too quiet for me. I received an email from CUNY today. I am on the waitlist. I feel good about it. 

Congrats! I hope you'll make it. I, too, applied there, but haven't heard anything yet. Would you mind saying who contacted you? At least one person seems to have been offered an interview...

Edited by VladL

1 hour ago, VladL said:

Congrats! I hope you'll make it. I, too, applied there, but haven't heard anything yet. Would you mind saying who contacted you? At least one person seems to have been offered an interview...

Looks like the Chair of the Admissions Committee sends out the emails to waitlisters