Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

4 minutes ago, Guest345 said:

Have to say a somewhat-nerve wracking thing is being in a timezone different from the schools you've applied to. Currently abroad in Europe and keep reflexing checking my EST-set clock.

I'm kinda living excruciatingly with that feeling too! As an applicant from, and living in, Southeast Asia, I had to keep telling myself yesterday that it was still Sunday in the US while in my country it was already Monday. :unsure: And i'm not even mentioning that since late January I haven't been able to sleep properly at night at all! It's like I would somehow wake up at 2am or 3am and refresh my mailbox and the result page just to see if the schools to which I applied have sent out the decisions or not. This week will definitely kill me. :wacko:

27 minutes ago, pepe.s said:

I'm kinda living excruciatingly with that feeling too! As an applicant from, and living in, Southeast Asia, I had to keep telling myself yesterday that it was still Sunday in the US while in my country it was already Monday. :unsure: And i'm not even mentioning that since late January I haven't been able to sleep properly at night at all! It's like I would somehow wake up at 2am or 3am and refresh my mailbox and the result page just to see if the schools to which I applied have sent out the decisions or not. This week will definitely kill me. :wacko:

I can only imagine how hard the time difference is and I can related to the sleepless nights. Just have faith @pepe.s, we are all in this together, especially in this forum : ). Best of luck in your applications. 

12 minutes ago, cocakolakowski said:

I can only imagine how hard the time difference is and I can related to the sleepless nights. Just have faith @pepe.s, we are all in this together, especially in this forum : ). Best of luck in your applications. 

That’s a very nice of you! Thank you a lot for those kind words. At least I know i’m not the only one who is suffering insomnia :P Let’s hope for the best for this week. ;D 

Edited by pepe.s

4 minutes ago, lordtiandao said:

@pepe.s As someone currently in Hong Kong, I can definitely relate haha. It's even worse for the West Coast, due to the horrendous 16 hour time difference.

Indeed! the waiting game since Dec is already torturous, and now the time zone difference just makes it even worse for us hahahaha 

Randomly checked the portal for Northwestern and saw my decision letter had been posted—a rejection, which I was expecting due to the program only being a mediocre fit and after hearing last year's incoming cohort was oversaturated with Americanists. Best of luck to others who applied!

@Dobby'sSocks I’m sorry to hear about your rejection from Northwestern. Is the portal you’re talking about the same as the “Activity Page” they emailed about? I clicked the link for that and was just sent to the normal applyweb website with “Print Receipt,” “View Checklist” and a list of my recommenders. Did a new link appear there for you? Thanks for posting about your results. I appreciate it. Also your username makes me happy. Good luck with your other applications.

@Ragu No worries—it's less of an actual disappointment than a blow to my ego. And yes, it was on the ApplyWeb site where the "Print Receipt"/"View Checklist" buttons are. A new one reading "View Your Decision Letter" appeared. Hopefully the fact that yours isn't there yet is a good sign!

35 minutes ago, Dobby'sSocks said:

Randomly checked the portal for Northwestern and saw my decision letter had been posted—a rejection, which I was expecting due to the program only being a mediocre fit and after hearing last year's incoming cohort was oversaturated with Americanists. Best of luck to others who applied!

Same here- I got an email about it as well, so everyone's should be up by now.

Thanks I get nervous figuring out these portals. I had a bad experience with one and couldn’t get my result even though I got an email saying a decision had been made...that was a sleepless night. I haven’t heard anything from Northwestern yet so ??

6 minutes ago, Ragu said:

Thanks I get nervous figuring out these portals. I had a bad experience with one and couldn’t get my result even though I got an email saying a decision had been made...that was a sleepless night. I haven’t heard anything from Northwestern yet so ??

Yeah sorry I mean everyone who got rejected without waitlist/further consideration, or at least I think so given the email I received appears to just be a mass email to check the portal. If you still haven't seen anything yet that's a great sign!

Hi guys, I am new to this discussion.

Just wanted to share this excruciating wait for an admit. I keep getting nightmares about receiving rejections.

Also, I am a resident of South Asia, so I keep calculating the time difference and try to make myself feel better.

One doubt, can we rely on the dates decisions were sent out last year and expect them to be rolled out around the same time this year?

Thanks!

Good luck to everyone! :)

Edited by youngsheldon

48 minutes ago, youngsheldon said:

Hi guys, I am new to this discussion.

Just wanted to share this excruciating wait for an admit. I keep getting nightmares about receiving rejections.

Also, I am a resident of South Asia, so I keep calculating the time difference and try to make myself feel better.

One doubt, can we rely on the dates decisions were sent out last year and expect them to be rolled out around the same time this year?

Thanks!

Good luck to everyone! :)

I can relate to the checking time difference bit so much! It almost feels like living in two worlds. Nights are especially horrid because I know the decisions are rolling out while I snooze. 

24 minutes ago, BuckinghamRabbit said:

If the person who was just accepted to NYU is out there, can you give us some more details? Was it an e-mail from your POI or the DGS? What is your field?

I'm currently at NYU so just a FYI about decisions--if results are coming out then it's likely the case that decisions have been made and now it's basically up to the POI to let you know (it's pretty unlikely the the DGS will send out a mass email at any point). My POI called me at late on a Friday night last year after I'd spent a week watching people post their acceptances, and it was basically because she was super busy at the time. 

Edited by OHSP

4 hours ago, TheLearnedPig said:

University of Rochester are sending out responses, in case anyone is waiting... #rejection

So sorry.  Best of luck getting into other programs.  

22 minutes ago, OHSP said:

I'm currently at NYU so just a FYI about decisions--if results are coming out then it's likely the case that decisions have been made and now it's basically up to the POI to let you know (it's pretty unlikely the the DGS will send out a mass email at any point). My POI called me at late on a Friday night last year after I'd spent a week watching people post their acceptances, and it was basically because she was super busy at the time. 

I’m waiting on NYU as well and the wait is killing me.  No update to website yet.  

31 minutes ago, BuckinghamRabbit said:

If the person who was just accepted to NYU is out there, can you give us some more details? Was it an e-mail from your POI or the DGS? What is your field?

Hi! I got a semi-official email from my POI today having had a Skype call with them last Friday in which they informed me over video. They have informed me that the meeting with the subcommittee to decide acceptances was two Thursdays ago, so they've definitely made all of the decisions now. It's just on the university admin to send out the acceptance/rejection letters officially. I bet you'll hear more in the next few days!

38 minutes ago, HappyHistorian said:

Hi! I got a semi-official email from my POI today having had a Skype call with them last Friday in which they informed me over video. They have informed me that the meeting with the subcommittee to decide acceptances was two Thursdays ago, so they've definitely made all of the decisions now. It's just on the university admin to send out the acceptance/rejection letters officially. I bet you'll hear more in the next few days!

If you are comfortable with sharing, do you mind telling us your field? Oh, and congratulations!

Edited by BuckinghamRabbit