Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

9 minutes ago, grubyczarnykot said:

Good luck! Now that it's the first week in February I'm really going crazy. I only applied to five programs and I know one is an implied rejection (they already sent out interviews), but the rest of the programs typically send out acceptances either... by the end of this week, or next. I wish I could hibernate for two weeks. Sending good thoughts your way for completion funding!

I hear you man, the wait is ridiculous.  Even after receiving one acceptance, waiting for the others is agonizing.  Patience is the hardest part.  I need to move across country by august and I would like to start planning as early as possible.

PS. If anyone has any suggestions on cheap moving options...I’m all ears.

5 minutes ago, Qtf311 said:

I hear you man, the wait is ridiculous.  Even after receiving one acceptance, waiting for the others is agonizing.  Patience is the hardest part.  I need to move across country by august and I would like to start planning as early as possible.

PS. If anyone has any suggestions on cheap moving options...I’m all ears.

Right!! I'm in Canada right now finishing an MA and I'll be going... somewhere... back in the states, and I want to know where! Also, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a *very positive* interview (?) about ten days after my application submission with a POI at one school and not knowing if I actually got in is killing me. I was also waitlisted at Minnesota's Cultural Studies PhD, which I applied to in case I wanted to go back to a cultural studies department (I switched to HPS/STS from English but my work is very interdisciplinary), and although I'm happy, waitlists just mean more waiting! Oh well, good luck to everyone, we will survive maybe???

3 hours ago, TheLearnedPig said:

Keeping fingers crossed. Given the odds of acceptance to these places, a waitlist is a real achievement in itself.

Thanks.  Truer words cannot be said these days with smaller cohorts due to funding cuts.  The CUNY GC is my top choice by far for their stellar American History faculty.  If I don't get in, then I hope to get in somewhere at least.  Keeping my fingers crossed also.  The best of luck to you.

1 hour ago, grubyczarnykot said:

Right!! I'm in Canada right now finishing an MA and I'll be going... somewhere... back in the states, and I want to know where! Also, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a *very positive* interview (?) about ten days after my application submission with a POI at one school and not knowing if I actually got in is killing me. I was also waitlisted at Minnesota's Cultural Studies PhD, which I applied to in case I wanted to go back to a cultural studies department (I switched to HPS/STS from English but my work is very interdisciplinary), and although I'm happy, waitlists just mean more waiting! Oh well, good luck to everyone, we will survive maybe???

Where are you doing your MA?  I have family in Kingston, Mississauga and Montreal. 

6 minutes ago, ANdy1996 said:

Does anyone who applied to Columbia still just see "submitted" when logging into their portal?

Me too. Looks like some people have already received offers. Nothing on my end tho, no acceptance or rejection. Feeling nervous, but kinda anticipating a rejection already

3 minutes ago, idoitchicagostyle said:

Me too. Looks like some people have already received offers. Nothing on my end tho, no acceptance or rejection. Feeling nervous, but kinda anticipating a rejection already

Same. I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and am feeling nervous given the radio silence... 

First response back and it was a rejection from Washington University in St. Louis. I have to admit it stung a little just because it is the first I have heard back from any school, but hey maybe I am getting the rejections out of the way first. An extremely short rejection too, only two sentences.

2 hours ago, cocakolakowski said:

@psstein, just to clarify, you mean the following week of 02/11, correct. Thanks!

Think so, but they may come out earlier. It depends on how fast the process moves.

2 hours ago, Dobby'sSocks said:

Thanks! Guess I can stop frantically checking the portal every few hours, at least for a day or two.

Don't bother checking the portal, it's often not updated even when you are accepted. Colleen Dunlavy (the DGS) will send you an email if you're accepted.

Edited by psstein

13 minutes ago, psstein said:

Don't bother checking the portal, it's often not updated even when you are accepted. Colleen Dunlavy (the DGS) will send you an email if you're accepted.

Oh, good to know! In past years it looked like people had found out through the portal before ever receiving an email so I was obsessively checking it. Thanks for your input!

5 hours ago, idoitchicagostyle said:

WHY CANT THEY JUST LET US KNOW? I mean you already have a list of who's in and out at this moment.

The logical part of my brain: "Well, they still have to verify applicants' degrees and scores, and decide whom to nominate for fellowships, and it's in their interest to offer admission to their top picks first and then see how many more admission slots are open after the top picks make their decisions, etc."

The emotional part of my brain: "These sadists are literally trying to give me an aneurysm."

Edited by TheHessianHistorian

6 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

The logical part of my brain: "Well, they still have to verify applicants' degrees and scores, and decide whom to nominate for fellowships, and it's in their interest to offer admission to their top picks first and then see how many more admission slots are open after the top picks make their decisions, etc."

The emotional part of my brain: "These sadists are literally trying to give me an aneurysm."

Did anyone else have a problem with the application materials section? My advisor upload his letter three times and the website still says that it's missing it. 

6 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

Did anyone else have a problem with the application materials section? My advisor upload his letter three times and the website still says that it's missing it. 

For which school? Yale or WUSTL? My recommenders and I didn't have any problem with those 2 online applications. 

The only application websites I've run into trouble with this year are University of Arizona (recommender couldn't get the LOR upload to work and had to email it to the DGS) and Western Michigan University (ETS keeps sending them my GRE score and WMU says they are not receiving it--that's okay because WMU was pick #15 out of my 15 applications and I've already gotten at least one other acceptance).

Edited by TheHessianHistorian

5 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

For which school? Yale or WUSTL? My recommenders and I didn't have any problem with those 2 online applications. 

The only application websites I've run into trouble with this year are University of Arizona (recommender couldn't get the LOR upload to work and had to email it to the DGS) and Western Michigan University (ETS keeps sending them my GRE score and WMU says they are not receiving it--that's okay because WMU was pick #15 out of my 15 applications and I've already gotten at least one other acceptance).

Sorry! Columbia.

3 hours ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

The Id always win!