Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

15 hours ago, lastsupper said:

I was extremely specific, but it didn't feel like a strong statement because of it. The "social worker will do X and Y to contribute to Z" structure felt very weak. I'm not sure how closely they want us to follow the questions.

Welp, hopefully they weigh all the questions equally. Gonna hope my gpa/research experience can compensate for that answer :P

Edited by agentofsocialization

This thread seems SO quiet compared to previous years!!! How's everyone feeling so far? I got everything sorted with my York application (I decided rather last minute to do it and had a bit of a panic, but everything's in and I'm just waiting on one more reference which I'm told is fine as their Dec 13th deadline actually has an additional ~2 weeks after it to get ALL supporting documents in) so now the freak outs have settled in! 

ANYWAYS. I'm going back through last years thread (wow - there's some drama, jeez... wonder if that's why there are so few of us here this year??) and looking at the first dates candidates stated getting acceptances/rejections/waitlists and figured some of you might be interested! (PLEASE NOTE applications and rejections all seem to go out in waves and make very little sense in general - not hearing by these dates doesn't mean ANYTHING! these are all just based on the people who were commenting, who knows when the applications actually start coming out. I know we are all probably beating ourselves up a bit but: what will be will be. remember: nothing good gets away. also: last year seems to have been a little later for some places and earlier for others - there are MANY factors, I just wanted to see this for my ow personal info!)

One year programs:

• Windor's first acceptance, Feb 7th 2017 (and, around the same time, anecdotal evidence of a few rejections as well)
    • these continue into the next week, and seem to be spread out over a few days
  • Dalhousie (I believe 1 year?), recommended someone to the Dean on Feb 7th (still needed to be "approved by graduate studies" to be official acceptance, but I think that's a formality)
  • Calgary's first acceptances (to the leadership specialization?), Feb 13th (via email)
  • Laurier sends some waitlist emails, Feb 14th
  • U of T's first acceptance, Feb 21st (via ROSI)
    • quite a few this same date, seems to be the "first wave"
  • York's first acceptance, Feb 23rd (via email)
  • Laurier's first rejection, Feb 23rd (via snail mail)
  • U of T's first waitlist, Feb 23rd (via snail mail)
  • University of Montreal's first acceptance, Feb 24th
  • York's first waitlist, Feb 24th (via email)
  • UVic's first rejection, Feb 27th (email)
  • Dalhousie's first (official) acceptance, Feb 28th (email)
  • Carleton's first acceptance, March 1st
  • York's first rejection, March 1st (via myfile) (*part time)
  • York's second "round" of acceptances, March 2nd (*part time)
  • King's (Western) first waitlist, March 3rd (email)
  • King's first acceptance, March 3rd
  • Windsor's first waitlist, March 3rd (email)
  • UQAM's first acceptance, March 7th
  • Waterloo's first acceptances, March 7th
  • Ryerson's first acceptance, March 14th (via phone call)
  • U of T's waitlist begins to move - one person acceped, May 11th
    • another accepted off the wait list early June
    • another accepted June 29th

And, I didn't go quite as far, but from 2 year applicants:

• UBC-O, waitlisted someone around the end of January
  • York's first rejection, recorded Feb 3rd 2017
  • Carleton's first rejection, Feb 14th
  • U of T's first rejection, Feb 15th
  • Carleton's first acceptances, Feb 23rd
  • UBC-O's first acceptance, March 1st
  • King's (Western) first acceptance, March 6th (via email)
    • more acceptances recorded March 9th, March 13th
  • Western's first waitlist, March 8th (email)
  • Western's first rejections, March 8th
  • someone calls Windsor, are told acceptances have started rolling out, March 14th
  • York's first acceptance, March 16th (myfile)
    • more seem to be rolling out early April
  • York's first waitlist, March 16th (email)
  • U of T's first acceptances, March 23rd (via ACORN, as ROSI was down)
    • apparently, all letters (acceptances, rejections, waitlists) were sent out on this day
    • someone confirmed that ACORN didn't show all statuses - they received an "accepted" snail mail letter with nothing recorded on ACORN
    • someone else confirmed their ROSI said "invited", ACORN said nothing, and they got a letter. who knows at this point!
  • U of T's wait list letters begin to arrive, March 28th (via snail mail)
  • Laurier's first acceptances, April 3rd (via email)
  • Laurier's first waitlist, April 4th (via email)
  • Windsor's first waitlist, April 12th (via myUWindsor)
  • Windsor's first acceptance for the "working professionals" program, May 3rd
  • U of T's waitlist begins to move - two people acceped, May 11th
    • another person accepted off the waitlist, May 30th

PHEW I feel like there's a ton of info to unpack there (I got carried away, it's fine). Some schools send out in waves, with rejections first. Some send out all at once (like Western's 2 year program). Feb 23rd was a popular date! Last name doesn't seem to matter at all, alphabetically speaking. Some schools send emails while others you need to check the online systems to get the info early (like U of T's ROSI). Often letters mean rejection/waitlist if you haven't heard anything else, but some people did seem to get acceptance letters before they saw anything on line. I definitely missed some stuff - sorry! But hopefully this is helpful to those of you already starting to worry just like me. :)

Either way. We still have time and there is no point to stressing too much (LOL). May the odds be ever in your favours!!!

@magfishWOW I'm glad you mentioned that extra two week period for York, you just cured all my anxiety about it (my reference submitted late my accident). Also, thanks so much for making that masterlist! That must have been a little therapeutic if anything haha

What's the word on the timeframe for accepting an offer? Say you get into a program like UBC in March, but you want Laurier, which sends out acceptances typically in April. I've heard "two weeks" as the timeframe floating around, but I wonder if this is the same for all institutions. 

1 hour ago, lastsupper said:

@magfishWOW I'm glad you mentioned that extra two week period for York, you just cured all my anxiety about it (my reference submitted late my accident). Also, thanks so much for making that masterlist! That must have been a little therapeutic if anything haha

What's the word on the timeframe for accepting an offer? Say you get into a program like UBC in March, but you want Laurier, which sends out acceptances typically in April. I've heard "two weeks" as the timeframe floating around, but I wonder if this is the same for all institutions. 

YES! I had to call around last week. Like I said long story but mostly to do with my mom's health and a last minute decision on my part to apply (my partner won't be in Toronto next year and I really, REALLY do not want to do long distance again but it did make sense for me to apply just in case). On the 13th I still hadn't even gotten the info to get into myfile and to say I was panicking was an understatement. The lovely lady on the end of the social work line calmed me down a bit (though she sounded a tad frazzled!) and said "it's not actually advertised, but the 13th is the deadline to have gotten the first part in. You've got two more weeks to get in the supporting documents if you need it. Obviously we don't really tell people that, but we know it's a busy time of year and so you should be okay!!". My last reference only just submitted today!! :o But at least it's all officially done now!

You're right - it definitely WAS therapeutic. My partner was a little worried that I was going to work myself up over it (which is what I did last time!) but it was actually great. Knowing I won't hear till probably mid-February at the earliest means I can put all of this out of my brain for a bit! And the drama from last year was interesting to read. Like I said, the last application cycle I was part of was the 2015 one so I missed everything that went on last year. Anyways. Worth a read if you're bored! ;) 

As per timeframe, a lot of it seems to depend on the school! It seemed like in last years thread some people were getting ridiculous things like 10 business days (for smaller schools it seemed, or ones that started later) whereas other people had a few weeks or even longer! What most people were recommending if you hear from one who has a fast turnaround is calling in and asking for an extension with the caveat that you're waiting on another school. This seemed to work sometimes. Other times when people were desperate they mostly just paid the deposit (a few hundred dollars, unfortunately) and then had the spot guaranteed even if they later then had to withdraw it. It's tricky and I wish social work was more like other programs where they all hear around the same time!!! Really puts people in a tough spot and schools I think (smaller ones, or 'less desirable' schools) take advantage of this - if they force people to make a decision before they can even hear from a more "prestigious" school they might have an easier time filling their spots!!!

ANYWAYS. Here I go rambling again. Good luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Has anyone applied to any school in BC? I only applied to UBC. In the likely chance that I don't get in first try, I'd like to apply to a few more places next year. Does anyone have any experience with UVIC or UBCO?

Ideally I'd like to stay in BC :)

On 2018-01-08 at 12:08 PM, Meiks said:

Hey everyone!

Has anyone applied to any school in BC? I only applied to UBC. In the likely chance that I don't get in first try, I'd like to apply to a few more places next year. Does anyone have any experience with UVIC or UBCO?

Ideally I'd like to stay in BC :)

Hey! Welcome to the thread! It's quieter here than in previous years, so if you want more information you can maybe find some of the older threads and search through them for the schools in question?

Are you applying for one year or two year programs? I know there are some schools further up north still in BC that have social work programs that might be worth looking into. I have a friend or two who were at UBCO and seemed to like it! What type of program are you looking for? Do you have specifications about the course content etc?

Also, a thing to consider: UVIC's one year distance master's is pretty strict on hours and their requirement is rather high. I'm assuming their two year would be similar, so might be worth getting started volunteering now if you're considering it!

ALSO, one last point: if you want to stay in BC long term (which it sounds like you do) then I think you're for sure on the right track wanting to do school here. I mean there are other distance programs you can look into, but since you're going to have to write the BC licensing exam to register it makes a lot of sense to go to a school that can better help you prepare for it!

Good luck!

17 hours ago, magfish said:

Hey! Welcome to the thread! It's quieter here than in previous years, so if you want more information you can maybe find some of the older threads and search through them for the schools in question?

Are you applying for one year or two year programs? I know there are some schools further up north still in BC that have social work programs that might be worth looking into. I have a friend or two who were at UBCO and seemed to like it! What type of program are you looking for? Do you have specifications about the course content etc?

Also, a thing to consider: UVIC's one year distance master's is pretty strict on hours and their requirement is rather high. I'm assuming their two year would be similar, so might be worth getting started volunteering now if you're considering it!

ALSO, one last point: if you want to stay in BC long term (which it sounds like you do) then I think you're for sure on the right track wanting to do school here. I mean there are other distance programs you can look into, but since you're going to have to write the BC licensing exam to register it makes a lot of sense to go to a school that can better help you prepare for it!

Good luck!

Hey! Thanks for the info! I actually did my BSW up north at UNBC so I'd like to stay down south if possible! I applied for the 1 year program at UBC (I guess they shut down their two year non-BSW) and I would love to go there. It seems like eastern schools are discussed the most on this forum. For this application to UBC I stated that I would like to focus on the family stream; however, I like that it is overall a clinical program. I do plan on registering here but I'm hoping they solidify the testing and financial aspects first... it's a disaster right now.

Thanks again for your help!

Has anyone else applied to the 1 year MSW at University of Calgary? I've applied to the clinical specialization. I applied to the two year program back in 2015 and obviously didn't get in, but now I'm applying with my BSW, better grades and an extra 3 years of experience in social services....so, here's hoping it's my year!

On 1/11/2018 at 7:47 PM, lastsupper said:

Anyone applying for Laurier's 2 year? The deadline is on Monday, and I feel so drained after all these applications, but the end is in sight!

I've applied to U of T and Laurier for the 2 year program. I just submitted my application to Laurier about an hour ago.... you can do it!  

On 1/12/2018 at 9:43 PM, Aslwin said:

Has anyone else applied to the 1 year MSW at University of Calgary? I've applied to the clinical specialization. I applied to the two year program back in 2015 and obviously didn't get in, but now I'm applying with my BSW, better grades and an extra 3 years of experience in social services....so, here's hoping it's my year!

I was accepted to 1 year clinical stream at Calgary last year and got my acceptance email on Feb. 13th - so you likely do not have too long to wait!

For western and Laurier I am using a reference from a full-time job but she’s known me only 6 weeks. My other professional reference has known me 3 years. Do you think that using the reference whose only known me 6 weeks would seriously impact my application in a negative way? I’m in a limbo in terms of finding another professional reference whose in a manager/supervisor position due to the high turn over rate in my previous jobs. An alternative option could be using a coworker who is not a manager/supervisor and is from the same organization as my other reference . Do you think having two references from different organizations looks better in this case than using two references from the same organization?

Any knowledge about the reference aspect of the application would be great :)  

Edited by Aspiringmsw2320

Hi everyone!! I am wondering if I was never a U of T student do I need to sign up for ROSI/ACORN? I am a bit confused because it seems like that's where people are finding out whether they are rejected or accepted. I don't have an account and keep checking the website where I had submitted all my documents...is that the right thing to be checking? Thanks!!

19 hours ago, socialwerq said:

I was accepted to 1 year clinical stream at Calgary last year and got my acceptance email on Feb. 13th - so you likely do not have too long to wait!

Fantastic, that's less than a month away!! Since you are currently in the program, do you mind sharing what they typically look for in successful applicants to the clinical stream?

@foxstock Thank you, I'm now all submitted. Feels so good to be done with this!

@Aspiringmsw2320 when I was at the Uoft information session someone asked a similar question, and they said it depends on what aspect of your application you need beefing. If you think you need to emphasize your diversity of organizations since you haven't worked in many altogether, that's the better way to go. If you aren't concerned with that, and truly believe two from the same organization can speak to different aspects of your character and experience, then that's probably the better route. Hope that helps!

On 2018-01-15 at 1:33 PM, SarJade said:

Hi everyone!! I am wondering if I was never a U of T student do I need to sign up for ROSI/ACORN? I am a bit confused because it seems like that's where people are finding out whether they are rejected or accepted. I don't have an account and keep checking the website where I had submitted all my documents...is that the right thing to be checking? Thanks!!

I think you can keep checking where you submitted your documents, but if you want to you can set up a ROSI account! That's what I did when I applied two years ago, though IIRC they all updated around similar times? I don't know if you even can set up an ACORN account and from what I remember from previous years that was only really useful if ROSI was down... 

Either way, you still probably have at least a month to go for the 1 year program and probably closer to two/three for the 2 year. So, keep checking if it helps your nerves but I wouldn't start worrying too much until mid-February!

Good luck!

On 2018-01-15 at 7:06 PM, lastsupper said:

@foxstock Thank you, I'm now all submitted. Feels so good to be done with this!

@Aspiringmsw2320 when I was at the Uoft information session someone asked a similar question, and they said it depends on what aspect of your application you need beefing. If you think you need to emphasize your diversity of organizations since you haven't worked in many altogether, that's the better way to go. If you aren't concerned with that, and truly believe two from the same organization can speak to different aspects of your character and experience, then that's probably the better route. Hope that helps!

Thanks! I stuck with the reference although she hasn’t known me for long. I feel that using her reflects my intent more.  Some things she scored me lower simply because she could not speak to it in the short time she’s known me, however she also addressed that as her reasoning. Here’s to hoping for the best :)  

On 1/15/2018 at 8:06 PM, Aslwin said:

Fantastic, that's less than a month away!! Since you are currently in the program, do you mind sharing what they typically look for in successful applicants to the clinical stream?

I did not end up accepting the offer so cannot really offer much insight into their acceptance process other than it being ~holistic~ and looking at all of the parts of your application. I think the challenging part for the Calgary application was the statement/study plan which was so open ended, so if you were able to turn that into something that flows it bodes well! 

Hey'all! This was my first time applying for the two-year MSW program at UofT. It took a lot more work than I anticipated, although writing the personal statement was a rewarding experience. I was very nervous initially applying since I didn't do so well in my first few years of my undergrad. The administration clearly states that they only look at your last year of senior courses for your GPA, although one of my professors told me that it's not entirely true. He said no matter what they will take into account your cGPA. I'm not sure if my professor is correct or not but he did not make the process easy for me. In the end, only time will tell, and I'm glad I applied either way. Good luck guys! 

Anyone else apply to the post-grad BSW program at the University of Waterloo? I got an e-mail a few weeks ago asking to confirm my plan to complete my prereqs, did anyone else get this?

Anyone else waiting on 1 year results just like, freaking out basically all the time? I had a dream last night that I got into my top choice and cried. And last week I had a dream that I DIDN'T get in and I cried. And I'm forcing myself not to check the portals online more than once since I'm sure it'll be another ~month till results (w h Y) but I am suffering alone because I don't know anyone else in the application cycle... Anyone want to suffer with me???

i applied to two year programs, but i also had a dream about being accepted into my top choice. i've told myself not to check the portals until february 1st as that was the earliest decision date i found for the programs i applied to, but even than it super early. i check my email compulsively though :D so yes, let's suffer together!

On 10/30/2017 at 10:47 AM, reposae said:

Hey all! 

I'm currently an MSW student at Wilfrid Laurier - graduating at the end of this year. I initially applied to 5 programs and was accepted to all of them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hey reposae!

I am thinking about applying to the MSW program at Laurier. Feeling a bit anxious...... already. i'm in my mid 20's. i have the "minimum requirements"  but still feeling anxious. throughout university i volunteered working with children and youth. i have just over 700 hours of time volunteering.  since march of last year i've been working part time in the human service sector and in october of last year i started volunteering in a field i am passionate in (possible career route). in my last 2 years of university I mostly got straight A's and a couple B's. i pursued a post-grad certificate too .  do you think i have good odds of getting in?

sammy

Hi all! I'm looking for a bit of feedback... I graduated McMaster with a BSW in 2015 and I'm now applying for my MSW at York and U of T. I'm not too optimistic :( I've worked at a women's shelter, a youth shelter, a group home run by CAS and was a family service work for a CAS (mix of relief, full-time positions that I held ranging from 6 months to one year). I did certificates at OISE in SFBT and CBT. I have pretty low-average grades, mid B-ish... not great, no research experience. I don't feel too great about certain answers for my personal statement for U of T. Do I have any hope of getting in?

I hate waiting, I keep checking but really I just think I'm looking for a rejection so I can at least know how to improve next year (tips on that would also be appreciated). 

Edited by mswapplicant18

On 12/01/2018 at 5:43 PM, Aslwin said:

I also applied to the 1 year clinical specialization at Calgary.