Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

3 hours ago, sleepysocialworker said:

awesome, thanks so much for replying! seems like i can always just accept the offer and see what happens later. how exciting that we might end up being in the same program :D

i havent found any deadlines for the transcripts and criminal record check, either. :wacko:

No worries! It's exciting - but nerve racking because I keep worrying I'm reading the email wrong or missing a vital step!

I've emailed a few people about deadlines, but no answer yet. I'm in Toronto and last time I needed a criminal record check for work it took 4 months to get! If I hear back I'll post it here.

11 hours ago, sleepysocialworker said:

for ubc-o, the acceptance offer is conditional based on your criminal record check and official transcripts. so i uploaded scans during my application and now have to send official, sealed transcripts by mail if i accept their offer. 

Thanks for answering! UBC-o honestly sounds so much more organized than the Vancouver campus... I'll keep checking my email with my sweaty nervous hands. I didn't think people would be finding out so soon!

8 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

It’s amazing because if I do get accepted it’ll make the next few months waiting on the other schools a lot less nerve racking. Agh. I’m so antsy. 

Do you know much about how competitive Carleton is in comparison to other programs? 

:)  

Yeah! It would be great to know you had something. :)

I'm not sure honestly. I didn't apply last time around but I probably should have? There seem to be less people in general than the big GTA schools which makes sense. And I HEARD that Carleton was more forgiving (for 2 years) with if you were short on experience hours. Even the one year program makes a note on the page that they recommend x many hours BUT it also depends on the application. Which is why I probably should have applied, because lack of hours was a part of my application that was missing. They're also not a research based clinical school - much more structural (yay!) and thus I hope their process is more holistic than I found U of T and Laurier's to be.

But I didn't know. It's so hard to tell, because like I said on these forms most people seem to be aiming for U of T, Laurier, York... there's always a few Carleton people who pop up as well, but this isn't really a good place to actually track numbers. Most schools just won't give out their rates other than "we accept x many students" and "in previous years have had around x many candidates". So, it's hard to say.

Either way all we can do is cross our fingers and wait!!! I maybe went back through some more old threads last night (I have a problem oops) and it seemed like Carleton always tends to release 1st and 2nd years around the same time - trending towards the middle of February. It also sounds like they send out rejection emails to a bunch of people the week BEFORE. Which, I mean, you never know what's actually going to happen, but every day that I don't have a rejection email is a good one for me. ;)And, at the very least, not long now!

14 hours ago, kleigh17 said:

No worries! It's exciting - but nerve racking because I keep worrying I'm reading the email wrong or missing a vital step!

I've emailed a few people about deadlines, but no answer yet. I'm in Toronto and last time I needed a criminal record check for work it took 4 months to get! If I hear back I'll post it here.

good luck! hopefully it doesnt take 4 months, this time!

14 hours ago, Meiks said:

Thanks for answering! UBC-o honestly sounds so much more organized than the Vancouver campus... I'll keep checking my email with my sweaty nervous hands. I didn't think people would be finding out so soon!

i'm definitely surprised by how on top of everything ubc-o is!

17 hours ago, magfish said:

Yeah! It would be great to know you had something. :)

I'm not sure honestly. I didn't apply last time around but I probably should have? There seem to be less people in general than the big GTA schools which makes sense. And I HEARD that Carleton was more forgiving (for 2 years) with if you were short on experience hours. Even the one year program makes a note on the page that they recommend x many hours BUT it also depends on the application. Which is why I probably should have applied, because lack of hours was a part of my application that was missing. They're also not a research based clinical school - much more structural (yay!) and thus I hope their process is more holistic than I found U of T and Laurier's to be.

But I didn't know. It's so hard to tell, because like I said on these forms most people seem to be aiming for U of T, Laurier, York... there's always a few Carleton people who pop up as well, but this isn't really a good place to actually track numbers. Most schools just won't give out their rates other than "we accept x many students" and "in previous years have had around x many candidates". So, it's hard to say.

Either way all we can do is cross our fingers and wait!!! I maybe went back through some more old threads last night (I have a problem oops) and it seemed like Carleton always tends to release 1st and 2nd years around the same time - trending towards the middle of February. It also sounds like they send out rejection emails to a bunch of people the week BEFORE. Which, I mean, you never know what's actually going to happen, but every day that I don't have a rejection email is a good one for me. ;)And, at the very least, not long now!

Omg that is so true. The first rejection letter went out like what February 4? Ahh. So things are hopeful for us if they sent them out the same date as last year. I’m so excited/nervous/excited lol. Carleton is my second choice school, however the idea of living in Ottawa is starting to grow on me. 

On 2018-02-06 at 11:02 AM, SW Sevante said:

I did not apply elsewhere as this is the only program that is relatively local that I met the criteria in order to apply. Sadly, I’m unable to relocate and have 2 children who still need me around so I had to be realistic when I was making a decision with regards to applying. Laurier is really the only feasible option for me to pursue my MSW.  I also applied to the post degree BSW program at McMaster as a backup plan.  I figure worst case scenario I do that and then apply to to the MSW on line through Laurier after.  Did you also apply to Laurier? Anywhere else? It is so hard to really know for sure what they are looking for.  I have some people who work in the field tell me that they are confident I will be accepted based on my work/life experience and others who believe that I may not because my average isn’t high enough. I guess time will tell.  I really wish they did personal interviews as well, as I believe it would definitely give people like us who don’t have high grades an opportunity to show our strengths. After all, social work requires good communication skills both written and verbal. Obviously, with the number of applicants this isn’t realistic as I’m sure they don’t have the resources to make that happen. 

Best of luck to you. Hopefully we don’t have to wait until April to find out. 

The King’s BSW program does interviews, but probably spot on in that MSW have way too many applicants. I applied to Laurier, York,  Carleton, Windsor, and Western for 2-year MSW. As a back up I applied to Lakehead 1-year HBSW program. I think that even if you got into your backup BSW it’ll be good because it’ll give you the ability to work with your BSW while completing you’re MSW too. 

Hi everyone, 

For anyone who applied to Carleton's 2 year MSW program - does your application status on Carleton Central say "Review in progress by department"? I noticed on their website that there are multiple application status' (unsure whether all apply to each program, or if they're specific to different ones) for an application, which suggests that the "Review in progress by department" means it's at the very, very beginning of the review process. If not, what does your status say? I suspect Carleton will be the first school to send out decisions given their early due date. 

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Hi everyone, 

For anyone who applied to Carleton's 2 year MSW program - does your application status on Carleton Central say "Review in progress by department"? I noticed on their website that there are multiple application status' (unsure whether all apply to each program, or if they're specific to different ones) for an application, which suggests that the "Review in progress by department" means it's at the very, very beginning of the review process. If not, what does your status say? I suspect Carleton will be the first school to send out decisions given their early due date. 

That’s what mine says as well! 

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Hi everyone, 

Also, how long was your personal statement?

1 hour ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I followed the 1500 word requirement. 500 words for each of the three questions. I thought that was a hard and fast rule so I didn't want to risk anything by making it any shorter or longer. 

1 hour ago, smntoronto said:

I followed the 1500 word requirement. 500 words for each of the three questions. I thought that was a hard and fast rule so I didn't want to risk anything by making it any shorter or longer. 

Yes me too! Mine came out to just under 1,500 words (3 pages). I reread my statement today and got worried it was too long and dense. I’m psyching myself out so much lol.

Good luck :)

7 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Hi everyone, 

I applied to the one year and mine says that as well! So I'm not putting much stock into the statuses, honestly. 

5 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Just under the 1500 - like 1470 or something. I answered it as one long piece rather than separating each question but I'm guessing I was just under 500 for each "piece" if you broke it down like that!

Yay I'm so glad this board exists. I searched and couldn't find an active one for the life of me. I have no idea what work experience is relevant but thay sounds like something I would be stoked to have on my resume. I think it depends what specialization you are going for. 

I only applied to the university of Calgary 1 year MSW with a clinical specialization and I really desperately want to get in. I worked oh my statement of intent for a month (which I found very difficult /confusing) and I am so eager to find out whether I'm in or out. Does anyone know of any rejections or acceptance this early on? Eeeekkkk

On 12/01/2018 at 6:43 PM, Aslwin said:

Has anyone else applied to the 1 year MSW at University of Calgary? I've applied to the clinical specialization. I applied to the two year program back in 2015 and obviously didn't get in, but now I'm applying with my BSW, better grades and an extra 3 years of experience in social services....so, here's hoping it's my year!

Me!! I applied for the exact same thing. How did you find the "study plan" aka letter of intent? Fingers crossed for us

On 2/6/2018 at 8:42 AM, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I’m in the same boat as you. My average isn’t as competitive as it could be; but I’m still holding out hope because I feel that I have a decent amount of experience for my age. You seem like you have a ton of experience. So try not to sweat it :). It sounds very hopeful to me!  

Did you apply anywhere elSs?

On 2/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, SW Sevante said:

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the MSW program applicant criteria at Laurier.  I am so worried because my GPA was a B-B+ according to the table Laurier provides to calculate your average for the last 10 credits of University.  You see, I went back to school after a 10 year hiatus to complete my degree.  I did this after I had my 2 kids, was a single mother and worked full time which is why my marks aren't the greatest.  I then went on to take a post-graduate certificate at Conestoga and graduated with a 3.98 GPA after I completed my degree which had courses in interviewing, mentoring and coaching as well as working with diverse populations etc which are definitely related to the field. 

I have been working in corrections in a number of roles for over 4.5 years (teaching anger management and substance abuse programs as well as being an officer) and also have volunteer experience in addictions, mental health and with high-risk youth.  My total experience hours are approximately 10 000 hrs in total.  I am older (in my 40's) and have significant life experience.  I also facilitate a Peer Support Group for those who suffer from PTSD.  I am confident that my experience and personal statement are strong but I am very concerned that my average isn't good enough.  I did not write about how I went back to school while I was working full time in my statement which may explain my B/B+ average as I believed that it would be self-explanatory in my resume as my education overlaps with my work experience but now I am worried that I should have expressed that more clearly.  I also didn't want to look like I was asking for sympathy as I don't believe that my personal struggles should impact a decision to be accepted or not. 

I got the impression from attending the information night that they look for candidates that are well rounded with related work experience.  I did not get the impression that you needed an A average to get accepted as someone posted here earlier.  Perhaps I interpreted incorrectly.  Just wondering if you have any idea how things are weighted.  I thought I remembered them saying it was 25% academic, 25% references, 25% written statement and 25%work experience or something along those lines, basically that they don't weigh one area to be worth more than the other. 

I'm probably worrying too much about things that are out of my control but I am so worried that I will be overlooked simply because of my mediocre average as I believe that my life/work experience is strong.

Any thoughts...

Same here.... average grades (B/B+) but about 8,000 hours of experience. Whenever I'm feeling stressed out about my grades my husband reminds me that the strength of my application is my unique work experience, and that there is nothing I can do about the grades at this point (I finished my undergrad over 7 years ago.... I feel like I was a completely different person at that point in time LOL)

SW Sevante - I went to an info session I left with the exact same impression, which is why it was one of the schools I applied to. They seemed to really value work experience, compared to other programs I was considering that were very focused on grades. I remember the 25/25/25/25 description as well. 

Good luck to all of us!!! 

50 minutes ago, foxstock said:

Same here.... average grades (B/B+) but about 8,000 hours of experience. Whenever I'm feeling stressed out about my grades my husband reminds me that the strength of my application is my unique work experience, and that there is nothing I can do about the grades at this point (I finished my undergrad over 7 years ago.... I feel like I was a completely different person at that point in time LOL)

SW Sevante - I went to an info session I left with the exact same impression, which is why it was one of the schools I applied to. They seemed to really value work experience, compared to other programs I was considering that were very focused on grades. I remember the 25/25/25/25 description as well. 

Good luck to all of us!!! 

Foxstock, I am glad that you also got the same impression that I did attending an info session. I completed my undergrad in 2009. I left university in 1995 and went back in 2005 part time while working so I can relate to completing an undergrad a LONG time ago. Lol. I have made peace with the fact that if I don’t get it in that life will go on. Good luck to you!!! Hopefully we can meet in person in September. :)

Hi! I haven’t posted her before but I have read through some of the posts and found them quite helpful/re-assuring that I am not the only one in this boat. I haven’t seen anyone mention Dal MSW acceptances and I just got an acceptance letter today in the mail to the on campus program! Might be helpful to know if you’ve applied ? wishing you all well on your wait! I hope you find out soon as I know it can be quite anxiety provoking to not know. Hang in there! 

1 hour ago, mswhopeful2018 said:

Hi! I haven’t posted her before but I have read through some of the posts and found them quite helpful/re-assuring that I am not the only one in this boat. I haven’t seen anyone mention Dal MSW acceptances and I just got an acceptance letter today in the mail to the on campus program! Might be helpful to know if you’ve applied ? wishing you all well on your wait! I hope you find out soon as I know it can be quite anxiety provoking to not know. Hang in there! 

Congratulations!!! That's so nice you didn't have to wait forever!! 

22 hours ago, Meemoo said:

Me!! I applied for the exact same thing. How did you find the "study plan" aka letter of intent? Fingers crossed for us

Hi applied to the 2-year clinical focus at U of Calgary. The 'study plan' was super broad. I applied super last minute so had to write/edit mine in two days. How many outside references did you use and how did you work them in? I tried to make it sound organic to the rest of my statement but felt like it ended up thrown in to make the requirement......... UG there's only 30 seats for the 2018 foundational yearl so I'm super nervous. 

Edited by danemom
Edit: foundational year not clinical

3 hours ago, hannahdaviidson said:

So glad that I've found a new forum! I applied to both York and U of T for the two year MSW programs and the waiting is absolutely awful! 

47 minutes ago, danemom said:

Hi applied to the 2-year clinical focus at U of Calgary. The 'study plan' was super broad. I applied super last minute so had to write/edit mine in two days. How many outside references did you use and how did you work them in? I tried to make it sound organic to the rest of my statement but felt like it ended up thrown in to make the requirement......... UG there's only 30 seats for the 2018 foundational yearl so I'm super nervous. 

Omg it was SO broad I struggled with it for so long. It took me a whole month to write my damn essay. I used about 6 ish references I believe, with 5 being peer reviewed scholarly ones. I structured my essay similarly to how they worded what they wanted. I set up my pitch, then used my references in two different ways. First I used them to back up what I was saying with research( that indigenous populations have statistically high instances of trauma which links to a slew of mental health and addictions issues), then the second way I used them was when I was talking about why the MSW clinical specialization would contribute to the area I'm interested in(treatment modalities for indigenous populations). For example, i mentioned wanting to learn more about certain clinical techniques  and then used sources that explain the importance of those techniques in social work. Honesty even as I'm typing this to you I have no idea if I did it right.. that essay felt like a huge guess lmao BUT I believe the main purpose of using the sources was to see if you can write at the level they require. My BSW prof told me it was equally important not to over use the references/quotes and use it to back up what I was saying rather than run the show if that makes sense. Wow sorry for the essay, no idea if I made sense. 

28 minutes ago, Socialhopeful said:

Hey I applied for the 2 year msw at Carleton.i saw in their application package that they said that they try to let anyone who didn’t get in know in January— how true is this? 

Anxiously waitibgto year what’s going on with admissions 

I believe I read elsewhere on this thread or maybe another that rejection letters from Carleton (in previous years) had been mailed out on February 4th. I don't think they stick to any one specific date year over year to mail out every rejection letter because that would mean they would've had to review all submitted applications by that point. If they'd mailed out all rejection letters in January, I would think that 2 year applicants would have heard back by now or will very soon. Not positive though!