Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

11 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

So scared now....I have not received any emails and my loris hasn't changed either. I would have thought that the online acceptances would go out first. I reallllyyy hope these are getting sent out in waves. Congrats to everyone who has received an offer though! 

I have not received an email either and my Loris is unchanged. Trying not to let my anxiety get to me but it’s tough. As so may others on here, the direction of my future is dependent on whether or not I am accepted. I also feel the stress you are experiencing waiting for an outcome. I’m going to try to go about my day as usual with hopes that we will all have an answer soon. Wishing everyone all the best of outcomes. :) 

You are not alone! 

17 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

AHh I really hope so! By the way congratulations!!! Did you also get a scholarship? Anybody else hear back from Laurier?! 

Thank you so much! I am crossing my fingers that you hear soon! And yes, I also got a 10k scholarship :)

8 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Thank you so much! I am crossing my fingers that you hear soon! And yes, I also got a 10k scholarship :)

Oh wow that’s impressive!! If you don’t mind me asking what you have as experience and your GPA. I’m just getting really nervous. I just want to know if I have a chance 

Edited by msw0913

1 hour ago, msw0913 said:

Oh wow that’s impressive!! If you don’t mind me asking what you have as experience and your GPA. I’m just getting really nervous. I just want to know if I have a chance 

I know how nerve-wracking this process is, and honestly I am quite shocked because after not hearing back from U of T (still waiting for the letter) I was so discouraged and thought for sure that I have no change of getting in, so this came completely unexpectedly! Just hang on there and try to distract yourself, you will get the email, I am sure they don't send them all all at once so I am crossing my fingers for you! :) Have you applied anywhere else? 

I am currently finishing up my undergrad in health and psychology with an A average. I have very diverse experiences (like the food bank, a teaching assistant position, 2 non-profit organizations, and working with youth and children in mentorship positions, but the majority of my experience is not directly related to social work) - around 2000 hours probably. I also worked as a research assistant for a few months, but didn't do a thesis. What kind of experience and GPA do you have? :)

Edited by Nervousme
typo

That’s amazing, you are definitely a key candidate. I was enrolled in a masters program however was unable to finish my major research paper. I have an overall B+ GPA and in terms of experience it’s  pretty diverse as well. I am currently a child and youth worker and work with a foster home, teaching assistant, and I have also volunteered as a probation officer. I believe I had over 3000 hours of experience. Just don’t know I make the cut. 

Edited by msw0913

21 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

This list looks very helpful! I was also not very sure what experiences I was expected to have when I was applying. 

I notice that many people here are discussing about how to meet the experience requirement for MSW when you're coming straight out of your undergraduate. So I'd like to share my experiences:

I got into U of T (2 year) without any work/volunteer experiences directly related to social work. But my experiences are classified as "teacher's assistant" and "research assistant" mentioned in the list. So my experiences were probably still deemed "social services experiences" in a broad term.

When I wrote my admission essay, I also tried my best to present my experiences as applicable to social work. I did the same for my CV. I think the ways we present in our admission essays are quite important. I'm still finishing up my undergraduate and don't have a lot of free time. So I applied for only U of T to spend all my free time on my U of T application. As the information ms_teacher shared says, our life experiences are also relevant (I used that in my admission essay, too!).

Also, I presented my research projects at many conferences. It may have looked good on my CV. For those of you who have fewer social work experiences, but have many research experiences, I'd recommend you to present your research project at conferences. People who have a lot of social work experiences don't always have research experiences. So if you can stand out for your research experiences, it may make up for your fewer social work experiences (especially for U of T since U of T seems to value research skills). Another advantage of working as a research assistant/teaching assistant is you can get really strong reference letters from your professors/supervisors. I believe the three really strong reference letters I got from my professors who were also my supervisors made a huge difference in my application.

Based on my experience, it is not impossible (although it is challenging) to get into MSW (especially U of T because they seem to be less strict with experience requirement compared to other social work programs where experiences are essential) without a significant amount of direct social work experiences if you can strengthen other part of your application and have some sort of "social work experiences".

Your qualifications sound very similar to mine. I was waitlisted but I have a lot of experience as a research and project assistant and I am also completing a thesis which has a direct relation to social work. I am also just finishing my undergrad. Hoping I get off the waitlist this year!

24 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

That’s amazing, you are definitely a key candidate. I was enrolled in a masters program however was unable to finish my major research paper. I have an overall B+ GPA and in terms of experience it’s  pretty diverse as well. I am currently a child and youth worker and work with a foster home, teaching assistant, and I have also volunteered as a probation officer. I believe I had over 3000 hours of experience. Just don’t know I make the cut. 

Thank you so much! Your experience and background sound very impressive, and it sound like you have a lot of relevant experience and a great GPA so you make an amazing candidate! There might me multiple waves of admissions, I honestly have no idea how it works but I am sure you will hear soon :)  

7 minutes ago, Jess22 said:

Congratulations to those who have been accepted!!! 

I'm so nervous now! I'm going to be glued to this form and my email today!! 

I feel you, I’m the exact same way! So nervous. 

I know there are others here still waiting on UofC.... I'm happy that we will hear a definitive answer this week because, seriously.... this roller coaster of waiting for an answer, becoming resigned to the fact that I wasn't getting in, then hearing that I still had a chance, is driving me insane. I refresh this page, my email, and the UofC login several times daily. I just want to know so I can move on with my life. I'm sure others feel the same, so I just wanted to get that off my chest!!

32 minutes ago, Aslwin said:

I know there are others here still waiting on UofC.... I'm happy that we will hear a definitive answer this week because, seriously.... this roller coaster of waiting for an answer, becoming resigned to the fact that I wasn't getting in, then hearing that I still had a chance, is driving me insane. I refresh this page, my email, and the UofC login several times daily. I just want to know so I can move on with my life. I'm sure others feel the same, so I just wanted to get that off my chest!!

Did you call them and hear that we would definitely know this week? I'm so over this!! 

Hi friends,

i need help with something because it’s driving my anxiety levels to increase so here I go:

someone from macs post degree BSW program told me that it wouldn’t be wise to go directly into a 2 year msw program after undergrad since apparently some organizations said that they don’t think 2 year msw graduates are ready to counsel and work in the field. Do you think it would be wise to do a post degree and then a msw ? Or go directly into the msw? 

I’m really scared to enter uoft  because of its clinical framework as well- but also whether or not the profs are supportive - my ultimate goal is to work with youth and young adults with mental health and I know a few people who have done so in the social justice and diversity stream. I also had accessibility at Ryerson where I did my previous undergrad and they were so amazing in providing accommodations & I really hope uoft does the same.

Am I the only one whose this nervous and worried? Or are a lot of you on the same boat? 

Im waiting to hear from york & mac for their post degrees but let’s see what happens ; my anxiety is is blowing the roof off

Edited by karisma

4 minutes ago, foxstock said:

No email yet.... I'm hoping it's only folks who will receive scholarships that got an email so far! 

I’m hoping the same thing! Do you think we’ll hear back today? 

6 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

I’m hoping the same thing! Do you think we’ll hear back today? 

Oh gosh who knows... I'm almost hoping we don't because I have the day off work, and I don't want to be sad all afternoon if I don't get in! lol

Last year they did a day of acceptances, a day of waitlist and then a day of rejections but I'm not sure if they're doing it the same way this year. I too am still hoping for an email. 

7 minutes ago, foxstock said:

Oh gosh who knows... I'm almost hoping we don't because I have the day off work, and I don't want to be sad all afternoon if I don't get in! lol

Haha I know how you feel I’m off from work today too. So I keep refreshing my email and loris and these posts 

7 minutes ago, tdamaren said:

Last year they did a day of acceptances, a day of waitlist and then a day of rejections but I'm not sure if they're doing it the same way this year. I too am still hoping for an email. 

Ahh okay. My mistake. I must have been thinking of another school. 

8 minutes ago, tdamaren said:

Oh god... lol

I applied to the online program and still haven't heard anything at all.  No email, no LORIS update ... I'm guessing since no one else has that no news is good news?  (but frustrating) 

4 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Oh god... lol

I really hope its not like this. So far only 2 people on this forum received acceptances (could be more but they might have not posted)....I just keep refreshing this forum, my email and loris. This waiting game has seriously taken a toll on me