Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

6 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I applied to the online program and still haven't heard anything at all.  No email, no LORIS update ... I'm guessing since no one else has that no news is good news?  (but frustrating) 

Me too, apparently we are supposed to hear back from the online program today or tmrw. I am hoping it will be a little easier to get into the online program since it is fairly new and the window to apply was quite small. 

10 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Me too, apparently we are supposed to hear back from the online program today or tmrw. I am hoping it will be a little easier to get into the online program since it is fairly new and the window to apply was quite small. 

Let's have some chocolate while we wait.  Settle our nerves.

59 minutes ago, danemom said:

Did you call them and hear that we would definitely know this week? I'm so over this!! 

I emailed them last week and they said "Please be advised that we are in the midst of sending admission decisions. We anticipate that all decisions should be sent by the end of next week"

2 hours ago, karisma said:

Hi friends,

i need help with something because it’s driving my anxiety levels to increase so here I go:

someone from macs post degree BSW program told me that it wouldn’t be wise to go directly into a 2 year msw program after undergrad since apparently some organizations said that they don’t think 2 year msw graduates are ready to counsel and work in the field. Do you think it would be wise to do a post degree and then a msw ? Or go directly into the msw? 

I’m really scared to enter uoft  because of its clinical framework as well- but also whether or not the profs are supportive - my ultimate goal is to work with youth and young adults with mental health and I know a few people who have done so in the social justice and diversity stream. I also had accessibility at Ryerson where I did my previous undergrad and they were so amazing in providing accommodations & I really hope uoft does the same.

Am I the only one whose this nervous and worried? Or are a lot of you on the same boat? 

Im waiting to hear from york & mac for their post degrees but let’s see what happens ; my anxiety is is blowing the roof off

I got into UofT and I'm just finishing up my undergrad. If it makes you feel better, there's someone else in the same situation as you. I have many friends who did the 2 year msw program right after their undergrad and they had no complaints. 

1 hour ago, Aslwin said:

I emailed them last week and they said "Please be advised that we are in the midst of sending admission decisions. We anticipate that all decisions should be sent by the end of next week"

Why does this timeline seem to keep getting longer ?

1 hour ago, 2 Year MSW said:

I really hope its not like this. So far only 2 people on this forum received acceptances (could be more but they might have not posted)....I just keep refreshing this forum, my email and loris. This waiting game has seriously taken a toll on me 

Same im exhausted..

6 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Why does this timeline seem to keep getting longer ?

Do you think the timeline may be affected by the online program? Esp for those people who applied to both on-campus and online? Maybe they are trying to decide to admit someone online vs on campus? Just a thought 

2 hours ago, karisma said:

i need help with something because it’s driving my anxiety levels to increase so here I go:

someone from macs post degree BSW program told me that it wouldn’t be wise to go directly into a 2 year msw program after undergrad since apparently some organizations said that they don’t think 2 year msw graduates are ready to counsel and work in the field. Do you think it would be wise to do a post degree and then a msw ? Or go directly into the msw? 

I’m really scared to enter uoft  because of its clinical framework as well- but also whether or not the profs are supportive - my ultimate goal is to work with youth and young adults with mental health and I know a few people who have done so in the social justice and diversity stream. I also had accessibility at Ryerson where I did my previous undergrad and they were so amazing in providing accommodations & I really hope uoft does the same.

Am I the only one whose this nervous and worried? Or are a lot of you on the same boat? 

If I were in your position, I would take the MSW in a heartbeat! This is such a great opportunity you have been given!

I'm honestly quite confused about what this person is talking about. By that logic, if organizations don't think MSW grads are ready to work in the field, then these organizations certainly won't think that BSW grads are ready to work in the field. 

You may not get your perfect dream job right out of school, but very few people do. No matter what you graduate with, BSW then MSW or just MSW, the degree will get your foot in the industry. It's how you build your career that will determine where you end up working. 

3 hours ago, Aslwin said:

I know there are others here still waiting on UofC.... I'm happy that we will hear a definitive answer this week because, seriously.... this roller coaster of waiting for an answer, becoming resigned to the fact that I wasn't getting in, then hearing that I still had a chance, is driving me insane. I refresh this page, my email, and the UofC login several times daily. I just want to know so I can move on with my life. I'm sure others feel the same, so I just wanted to get that off my chest!!

MEEEEEEEEEE!

26 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Do you think the timeline may be affected by the online program? Esp for those people who applied to both on-campus and online? Maybe they are trying to decide to admit someone online vs on campus? Just a thought 

I think so!! I applied to both and got an email two weeks ago about which I would prefer. I feel like they were trying to put me in one or the other applicant pool and I would not be considered for both. 

23 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Same im exhausted..

Yes! Exhausted is the right word for it. 

20 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

From my understanding, the clinical program was only on campus...are you meaning some people might have applied to the online (I think leadership stream) and clinical stream and the school might be deciding between the two? 

11 minutes ago, Aslwin said:

Yes! Exhausted is the right word for it. 

From my understanding, the clinical program was only on campus...are you meaning some people might have applied to the online (I think leadership stream) and clinical stream and the school might be deciding between the two? 

This is regarding the 2 yr MSW program at Laurier. They have an online option which takes 2.5 yrs and an on-campus program that takes 2 years. no clinical/leadership streams lol

13 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

I think so!! I applied to both and got an email two weeks ago about which I would prefer. I feel like they were trying to put me in one or the other applicant pool and I would not be considered for both. 

Interesting...Which program preference did you respond with? I am scared that I did not get this email and i applied to both! 

6 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Interesting...Which program preference did you respond with? I am scared that I did not get this email and i applied to both! 

I said that my preference is the full time program which is true. I also said I would happily attend either. I don’t think that is what it means! I think a lot of people applied to both. I have no idea why I got that email but I don’t think my application is better than anyone else’s based on what I have read on here ? Try not to lose hope. Although I am starting to haha

47 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

I only applied to the online stream  ?

1 hour ago, hannahdaviidson said:

I got into UofT and I'm just finishing up my undergrad. If it makes you feel better, there's someone else in the same situation as you. I have many friends who did the 2 year msw program right after their undergrad and they had no complaints. 

For those who get waitlisted from U of T, is it simply because there aren't enough spots, or is there something we are missing that the accepted applicants had? I am noticing a couple people getting accepted right out of their undergrad with similar qualifications to mine, yet I was waitlisted. I am hoping some people reject their offers so I have a chance of getting in this year, but it is kind of disheartening to see people who are almost of equal qualifications to you getting accepted. Makes me wonder what exactly U of T is looking for.