Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

1 hour ago, Scully29 said:

Thank you! I am not optimistic given that it appears U of T waitlists a ton of people, but I have a great job in the field so I can't complain, and will try again next year!

That's great! Having work that you like makes things psychologically easier I guess. And still - being in the waiting list is huge deal this year ;)

Just received my wait-list letter from UofT for 2 year msw (I'm in Montreal). Will put myself on it. Have been accepted to York, so I have that option. Not sure if I will accept because I'm feeling pretty burnt out after my undergrad. Does anyone know if York let's you defer? I can't find any info on that

14 minutes ago, lastsupper said:

At the Laurier info session, did they say how many people typically apply? How many they accept? 

I think it's 80-90 for the full time 2 year program.

For the online program I'm waiting for, they said 40. I hope this helps :)

3 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Congrats!! 

Do you mind sharing your gpa and experiences 

Thanks for all the congratulations guys! I got absolutely nothing accomplished at work after getting the email! My Last name starts with an E if you are trying to gauge by alphabet. And it was the 2 year full time program on campus. 

For everyone who is really upset about their rejections this year - I've been there, A BUNCH! The first time I applied was 2015 and I have applied every year since then, straight up rejections, not even a waitlist. I was even waitlisted for the post grad BSW at Waterloo this year! Keep trying, don't give up, you WILL get there.  

Yep I can share my experience/GPA. 

I have a BScH in biology with a HORRIBLE GPA. After the first time I applied I was told I should do 10 social science credits and apply again. I started doing those at Athabasca online ( "A" average) but that wasn't seeming to get me anywhere so I started doing the BSW pre-req courses at Waterloo last spring (GPA was 87).

Experience wise I have close to 4000 hours that I count as being in the field and then another 3600 additional hours working with kids at camp and various rec programs but I don't think they really count those. I worked on an inclusion resource team for a municipality which was a brand new program started because they got a grant to get adults with intellectual disabilities more involved in recreational activities, build social capital, change the culture in the city towards those with disabilities etc. It was in partnership with community living.  I had to create and implement a case management process, intake assessments, and create what we called rec plans (basically a plan for success, strengths, triggers, etc that would help their 1:1 support staff and the instructor of whatever class they were taking) train 1:1 support staff/ supervise them, advocate, train rec staff on inclusion/ how to modify their programs, go out to do assessments in the programs, sometimes stepped in to do the actual 1:1 support. I did that for a year. Now I am a youth engagement coordinator (in my second year). I work in a community centre, same municipality. Kinda similar to a child and youth worker position but they don't call it that because they hire people without a CYW diploma. A lot of the youth I work with are marginalized, have been charged with various offences or are going through a diversion program. We've had a lot of issues with weapons, assaults, and thefts. I created a partnership with some of the school resource police officers assigned to schools in the area and they come play basketball with my kids after school which has been really amazing both for the kids and for the officers, sometimes they participate in the tournaments I organize as well. I'm also supposed to be creating a youth friendly environment in the centre and bridging the gap between youth (viewed poorly) with the rest of the community. I also was super lucky and got to work on a project this year to make my municipality more inclusive of the LGBTQ community. The task team I am on did a lot of benchmarking and talking to individuals with lived experience and we have formed recommendations which we are now in the process of moving up through the various managerial levels. Presenting to our director next month!

I also volunteer for a distress centre on the phone line (I'm now a mentor as well so Im involved in training the new volunteers), I did some volunteer work at a therapeutic riding centre, I also volunteered with an agency that matches a mentor with a child receiving treatment kinda like big brother/big sister but specifically for kids with mental health concerns. 

I'm also very lucky to have a boyfriend who is in the field and trains other mental health professionals so I was able to talk about being exposed to a lot of different workshops, webinars, and professionals in the mental health field; really focused on the fact that through that experience I've learned I want to approach it with social work values. My personal statement also focused on the research I would like to do. I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder in my second year of university - this is the first year I included that lived experience in my personal statement, not sure if it helped or not. I think my application was just much stronger overall this year than previous years. 

My fingers and toes are crossed for those of you who are still waiting to hear something!!

3 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

I live in Vancouver but I received my official acceptance letter from U of T today. I was glad it got to Vancouver earlier than what I expected :) 

Funny how so many of us in Toronto are still waiting for ours LOL

3 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

I think those comments aren't true of everybody's experiences. Even if those comments are true, it doesn't mean all students who go to a 2 year MSW program cannot get a job after graduation. It's just describing the general tendency. And there are so many individual differences. Some students can get their dream jobs after graduation while some students may have difficulties finding jobs. And when it comes to looking for a job, your connections play a huge role.

I'm also quite anxious about the job prospect but I think we just have to try our best and see what will happen! Earning the acceptance to U of T is a great opportunity and I think you should jump at the opportunity. Worst comes to worst things don't work well you can always do more education after you finish your Master's.

I'm also anxious about going to the new stage of my life. But I look back at how I was always anxious about going to the new stages of my life but how things always turned out to be great, which gives me a courage to taken on another challenge again ;) 

I believe U of T also provides necessary accommodations as long as you go through the required procedure, like meeting the deadline to submit documents. I'm from UBC, and they have enough support. The procedure is more standardized and automated compared to the college where I was studying prior to transferring but they are still helpful. My professor who worked at U of T also said OISE particularly embraces diversity. So I belive they are committed to accommodate to students who require accommodations. I can ask the professor about if she knows about accommodations at U of T. I'll let you know if I get any insight from her.

I hope to see you at U of T :D

I guess I was also nervous since many of the people I know who did MSWs also did post degrees! Just a few who did then 2 year.  Hopefully the first year of the  MSW prepares us well. It’s just getting so real! We’re finally gonna be learning how to help people professionally ahhhh . I just wanna be well prepared to be a great social worker !! 

The new stage statement- I’ve been telling myself the same thing! How I did an undergrad and if I can get through that, I can get through this as well! 

Yes please! If you can ask that would be great :)

thanks for being so helpful! May this anxiety turn into excitement & good vibes for all of us! 

I appreicate everyone taking the time out to making me feel better ! You’re all amazing  

5 hours ago, GradApplicant22 said:

Thank you for taking the time to craft such an in-depth response!

I just came home to a waitlist letter from U of T! So now I am starting to feel like I could be on other waitlists too... At least I have more certainty with this newly found uncertainty? lol

It’s definitely possible you’re on other wait lists too! Hang in there ? Anything can happen with this process 

On 2018-04-02 at 9:26 AM, ciders_only said:

OMG I JUST GOT AN E-MAIL FROM LAURIER! I GOT INTO THE 2-YEAR MSW PROGRAM! :o  I also appear to have gotten a 10k entrance scholarship too

Congrats on your acceptance, I got in today so we'll be meeting soon!!!! Just curious, was the scholarship info right in your acceptance letter or was it on LORIS? I don't think I got a scholarship but just want to make sure Im not missing that information somewhere. 

On 4/2/2018 at 5:24 PM, 2 Year MSW said:

Anxiously waiting to get off western's waitlist as well. anyone know how long they keep people on the waitlist for? im assuming it might start moving this week or next week when majority of the schools have sent out their offers and its just up to the students to make decisions 

I am on the waitlist for the 1 year msw at western. I have not heard of any movement on here. 

I have heard people get accepted off the waitlist for Western last year as late as July. So it is really a guessing game!! Frustrating :/

New to this forum, but just got my wait-list letter from UofT for the 2-year program today - I want to be hopeful but still very stressed ! 

I will send an updated transcript after the exam session is over so hopefully that helps, I'm currently finishing my research credit. 

8 hours ago, Aslwin said:

Seriously, why can’t they just pick a day and tell us to expect an answer then?? This waiting for a response at any moment is killing my nerves and making it seriously difficult to focus on ANYTHING. 

I have not heard anything this week...only thing I’ve heard is the email response they gave me with the same timeline they gave you. 

Yikes! Same here. 

Another day to wait, at least! 

7 minutes ago, Katims said:

Thought I'd do my first post since I found out I'm on the wait-list at U of T!

This is exciting for me since I didn't get in at York and Western

Fingers crossed!!

Still waiting to hear from Laurier!

Which laurier program :)

24 minutes ago, Jess22 said:

Stressing here guys! I haven’t heard anything from Laurier and it sounds like a lot of people heard today. Congratulations to everyone that received acceptances from Laurier and other schools! 

Tomorrow's a new day.. hopeful for the rest of us.

Hi everyone! I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and literally sat there and read everything haha. I'm just finishing my BA in Psychology from Laurier and just got rejected from U of T 2 year MSW and I'm still waiting to hear anything from Laurier. I hoping to gain some more experience to improve my application for next year if need be but for now ive been looking into Humber's Mental Health and Addictions program. It says you'll get two placements and a practicum in third year. Do practicums look good on applications ? OR am i better off trying to work for a year to gain more experience in the field and then reapplying? 

-Thanks everyone for continually keeping me updated, i check this thing like hourly lol 

2 hours ago, skd05 said:

I think it's 80-90 for the full time 2 year program.

For the online program I'm waiting for, they said 40. I hope this helps :)

For online its 50 now. I think they originally said 30-40 students but i guess with the high volume of applicants they increased it to 50 

2 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

For online its 50 now. I think they originally said 30-40 students but i guess with the high volume of applicants they increased it to 50 

They told me it was originally 9 then 20. I got a different story everytime! However, the more spots the better Lol!