Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

10 minutes ago, cmMSW said:

When people accepted the wait-list spot for UofT via email, did you attach a copy of form they wanted you to mail back, or just typed out all the information within the email? This is on of those things i'd rather not get wrong ! LOL 

Thanks! 

I scanned the slip attached to the letter and e-mailed it as an attachment, but I also wrote in the e-mail that I would like to remain on the waitlist.

7 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

This is so crazy to see! The outlooks in Ontario are good for social work, 3 stars according to the job bank. That is very bizarre that universities wouldn't consider the employment outlook for Social Work positions in determining how many spots they can accommodate for Social Work programming. If growth is needed in the sector, universities should want to accept as many qualified candidates as possible, but I guess that will remain a fantasy lol. I am just trying to cling on to cautious hope that I make it off the waitlist, and that others who have been waitlisted have that chance too. I guess we probably won't find out until around May or June though, so all of us waitlisters will need to continue crossing those fingers :P 

I'm assuming they have to consider maximum class sizes, as they likely only have a certain number of qualified teachers and want to maintain a certain teacher/student ratio.  Then there's also the consideration of finding everyone a placement ... I would have a worse opinion of being accepted, but told there's no placement spots for me so I would really meet the degree requirements in the expected timeframe.

(The disclaimer is that I'm still waiting to hear from both programs I've applied to.)

Got my official acceptance package from U of T yesterday evening! Super exciting to have it in hand and be able to officially announce everything to friends/family/referees, etc. Apart from that, there wasn't all that much information in it.

Very exciting to hear that some folks received acceptances WITHOUT their ACORN updating! Fingers crossed for all those who are still waiting to receive their packages!!

Thought I would share that I called Angela to ask whether one should assume that one didn't receive an entrance scholarship if there was no information about that in the package and she said that that was a completely different process that would take place later. I tried to make it clear that I was asking about the entrance scholarships based on GPA specifically (the $4000 ones, which HAVE been included in packages in past years), as opposed to the internal awards process that takes place after classes start...she seemed to understand what I was referring to, but she was quite distracted sounding. It seems odd to me that information about entrance scholarships wouldn't be provided as part of an offer...

Tagging in a few people who I know off the top of my head are accepted to U of T's 2-year program (so sorry for anyone I missed), so they have this info, and to ask whether anyone received information on/confirmation of an entrance scholarship with their packages. Do any 1-years have any feedback on this?

And finally (rather all over the place this post – sorry!), should we go ahead and start our official UofT MSW at FIFSW class of 2020 Facebook group :D? I'd be happy to do it, but it might actually make more sense for someone who's more active on FB to take the administrator reigns, so that requests to join the group are dealt with in a timely fashion. Anyone up for taking that on?  I'll send you a PM with my name, as I believe you need to add at least one other member when creating a group (and happy to take on secondary admin role).

@karisma @MSW2018applicant @nicoleMSW  @hannahdaviidson @MEGSMSW2018 @Hopeful4 @tr11 @Rectitude

They certainly seem to be making some adjustments in enrolment based on internal issues/requirements. Just surprising to see a reduction of 10-15 students in both programs this year!

35 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I'm assuming they have to consider maximum class sizes, as they likely only have a certain number of qualified teachers and want to maintain a certain teacher/student ratio.  Then there's also the consideration of finding everyone a placement ... I would have a worse opinion of being accepted, but told there's no placement spots for me so I would really meet the degree requirements in the expected timeframe.

(The disclaimer is that I'm still waiting to hear from both programs I've applied to.)

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Clarity

32 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Got my official acceptance package from U of T yesterday evening! Super exciting to have it in hand and be able to officially announce everything to friends/family/referees, etc. Apart from that, there wasn't all that much information in it.

Very exciting to hear that some folks received acceptances WITHOUT their ACORN updating! Fingers crossed for all those who are still waiting to receive their packages!!

Thought I would share that I called Angela to ask whether one should assume that one didn't receive an entrance scholarship if there was no information about that in the package and she said that that was a completely different process that would take place later. I tried to make it clear that I was asking about the entrance scholarships based on GPA specifically (the $4000 ones, which HAVE been included in packages in past years), as opposed to the internal awards process that takes place after classes start...she seemed to understand what I was referring to, but she was quite distracted sounding. It seems odd to me that information about entrance scholarships wouldn't be provided as part of an offer...

Tagging in a few people who I know off the top of my head are accepted to U of T's 2-year program (so sorry for anyone I missed), so they have this info, and to ask whether anyone received information on/confirmation of an entrance scholarship with their packages. Do any 1-years have any feedback on this?

And finally (rather all over the place this post – sorry!), should we go ahead and start our official UofT MSW at FIFSW class of 2020 Facebook group :D? I'd be happy to do it, but it might actually make more sense for someone who's more active on FB to take the administrator reigns, so that requests to join the group are dealt with in a timely fashion. Anyone up for taking that on?  I'll send you a PM with my name, as I believe you need to add at least one other member when creating a group (and happy to take on secondary admin role).

@karisma @MSW2018applicant @nicoleMSW  @hannahdaviidson @MEGSMSW2018 @Hopeful4 @tr11 @Rectitude

Thank you!! I was wondering about entrance scholarships too! My package didn’t have any information on it either. The other part of the package that confused me was the sheet about the workshop we need to take... I looked online but there’s no dates. I’m assuming info about that will come later as well though!

I don’t have Facebook, but considering making one just to join the group! :P Very excited to meet everyone! 

5 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Has anyone called laurier admissions regarding whatever is happening... lol

I haven’t, I’ve just been refreshing my email and loris while at work ?

4 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Has anyone called laurier admissions regarding whatever is happening... lol

It is a little odd, and making me a little anxious as I would have loved to get into Laurier’s program. I really can’t tell if there’s still more admissions to come for the two year in class!

6 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

It is a little odd, and making me a little anxious as I would have loved to get into Laurier’s program. I really can’t tell if there’s still more admissions to come for the two year in class!

I’m really hoping we still have a chance. From the looks of it not too many have been accepted, well at least I know of the handful that have posted on this forum. 

Hey all,

I'm staying tuned into the thread here and wanted to update that I also was an "after hours" recipient of admission from Laurier yesterday evening. I have no additional insight about timelines etc, other than that I live in Hamilton and haven't received my U of T package yet - will let folks know re: the scholarship info if I have any. Congrats to all those who were accepted, and certainly congrats to everyone else as well waitlist, not accepted, whatever your status may be - it takes a significant amount of resilience to apply and just face the possibility of acceptance/not. Well done for the hard work. If anyone is faced with decisions in the coming days and would like to mull it over please send me a message! I've got a bit of soul searching to do and would love to connect. 

17 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

I’m really hoping we still have a chance. From the looks of it not too many have been accepted, well at least I know of the handful that have posted on this forum. 

I’m hoping so too! It’s so hard to tell. Perhaps there will be more after hours admissions today... or in hours seeing as it’s only 2:30 :P

On another note, everyone at work like me, how are you concentrating?! I’m having a very hard time!

6 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I’m hoping so too! It’s so hard to tell. Perhaps there will be more after hours admissions today... or in hours seeing as it’s only 2:30 :P

On another note, everyone at work like me, how are you concentrating?! I’m having a very hard time!

I’m having a really hard time concentrating. I’m more focused on checking my email, loris and this forum. My mind has been all over the place 

2 hours ago, tdamaren said:

Just curious, when did you finish uploading your documents and stuff? I uploaded mine the day it was due so I'm wondering if they're going in order

2 hours ago, KJE88 said:

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you :)  Good luck trying to accomplish anything today ahahah I got my email yesterday and spent the rest of the day in a daze! Still feels surreal! 

2 hours ago, Nervousme said:

Congratulations, this is so so wonderful! We are going to be classmates and I so look forward to meeting you :)

57 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

For those of you that have been accepted to Laurier what does your last name start with? Are they doing it alphabetically? 

Thank you all so much! This is crazy! Yep definitely can't concentrate on anything today lol. Just met my husband for a congratulatory lunch...This has been many years in the making and I feel like this is so big for our family! I am soooo excited to meet all of my classmates. You all seem like such kind and supportive people. This forum has been an invaluable resource during these stressful weeks of waiting. I am sending everyone good vibes and hoping that the rest of you receive good news soon. I really wish they wouldn't drag it out!  

I finished uploading all of my documents on January 8th...so about a week before the deadline. My last name begins with M. My LORIS account has not changed. I have received another MA offer from Laurier and they stated in my MSW admission letter that I can only have one offer out at once on LORIS. I have to contact the graduate office directly and have them remove the other offer to accept this one. I will say that when I got my other offer LORIS changed immediately - at the same time that I received the email. 

Thanks again everyone!

1 hour ago, Katims said:

I was planning on filling it out and scanning it unless anyone would suggest otherwise?

I sent an email (I posted it below). Angela got back to me within minutes saying thank you and that my intention to stay on the waitlist is in my file now and there's no need to send the cut-off paper in. Hope that helps!

Dear Factor-Inentash Faculty of Social Work,
This email is to confirm that I, Alysha Bernstein-Sidenberg, wish to remain on the waitlist for the 2-year MSW this year. I will also be mailing in the cutoff sheet at the bottom of my waitlist letter but I thought I would take the opportunity to email as well. 
Thank you so much for your continued consideration of my application. Although it is not likely, I hope to hear from you in the next few months.
All the best on this rainy Wednesday.
Alysha Danielle Bernstein-Sidenberg

6 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Hey was the other offer for the online msw program?

Thank you all so much! This is crazy! Yep definitely can't concentrate on anything today lol. Just met my husband for a congratulatory lunch...This has been many years in the making and I feel like this is so big for our family! I am soooo excited to meet all of my classmates. You all seem like such kind and supportive people. This forum has been an invaluable resource during these stressful weeks of waiting. I am sending everyone good vibes and hoping that the rest of you receive good news soon. I really wish they wouldn't drag it out!  

I finished uploading all of my documents on January 8th...so about a week before the deadline. My last name begins with M. My LORIS account has not changed. I have received another MA offer from Laurier and they stated in my MSW admission letter that I can only have one offer out at once on LORIS. I have to contact the graduate office directly and have them remove the other offer to accept this one. I will say that when I got my other offer LORIS changed immediately - at the same time that I received the email. 

Thanks again everyone!

5 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Hey was the other offer for the online msw program? 

Hey, no it was not. It was for an MA in sociology. I have not received any information about the online program which is kind of bizarre considering it starts in less than 4 weeks. Has anyone heard?

12 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Hey, no it was not. It was for an MA in sociology. I have not received any information about the online program which is kind of bizarre considering it starts in less than 4 weeks. Has anyone heard?

Nope. I'm defeated.

52 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Thank you!! I was wondering about entrance scholarships too! My package didn’t have any information on it either. The other part of the package that confused me was the sheet about the workshop we need to take... I looked online but there’s no dates. I’m assuming info about that will come later as well though!

I don’t have Facebook, but considering making one just to join the group! :P Very excited to meet everyone! 

I looked through my papers and I was admitted in late March and the entrance scholarship was dated May 9th. I'm sure it varies year to year, but there was a pretty big gap in time between the admissions decisions and the scholarship. 

Was the workshop about diversity or orientation? If it's the diversity workshop, they'll eventually let you sign up on Eventbrite. 

The facebook group for the class has definitely been useful so I would recommend joining. 

29 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

I remember reading somewhere on this forum, that over 140 people applied to the online msw program at Laurier - i forget who said this number or how they got it since admissions can't disclose that info until decisions are made, but has anyone else heard this? or heard another number? 

7 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:
35 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

I remember reading somewhere on this forum, that over 140 people applied to the online msw program at Laurier - i forget who said this number or how they got it since admissions can't disclose that info until decisions are made, but has anyone else heard this? or heard another number? 

That was me and Miljana told me that on the phone! Whether it' factual I'm unsure... everytime I call I get a different answer about everything to be honest.