Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

3 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Anyone applied to the MSWWP (regular track program in peel)? I  was encouraged to apply even though I meet no where near the 5000 post grad hours. Apparently they aren't doing rolling admissions. Everything is just due on May 1 

I applied to that program.  I have not heard back yet from Windsor , but got a phone call Friday that I was accepted to Laurier’s online MSW.  I went to Windsor's info session, and their set up/program seems really interesting.  

2 hours ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I applied to that program.  I have not heard back yet from Windsor , but got a phone call Friday that I was accepted to Laurier’s online MSW.  I went to Windsor's info session, and their set up/program seems really interesting.  

ooh ok did you apply for the peel location or windsor? Also do you know exactly how many people apply to the peel location? i know they take in 50 

5 hours ago, msw0913 said:

For those of you that have been accepted to Laurier’s 2 year msw, what was the deadline you have to accept or decline the offer? Also, who will be accepting and declining their offer? Just want to have an idea if their will be any movement for those on the waitlist. 

Hi!

The deadline for me to accept is April 24th, and I was offered a spot on April 3rd (so three weeks)... I'm pretty sure I will be accepting, just trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for everything. I've seen a couple of people who are going to decline though, so hopefully there is movement! 

11 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

ooh ok did you apply for the peel location or windsor? Also do you know exactly how many people apply to the peel location? i know they take in 50 

I applied to Peel, and went to the info seminar there.  No idea how many apply, but they also said at the seminar that they accept 50.

19 hours ago, foxstock said:

Hi!

The deadline for me to accept is April 24th, and I was offered a spot on April 3rd (so three weeks)... I'm pretty sure I will be accepting, just trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for everything. I've seen a couple of people who are going to decline though, so hopefully there is movement! 

Hey! I was also accepted (I am on the waitlist for UofT)  so I'm planning on waiting until closer to the day to accept it. I was wondering what you are referring to when you say you have to figure out how to pay for everything. Do you mean the deposit?

hi friends!

My offer letter is dated March 27th for uoft and it said we have to accept 4 weeks before the offer letter expires 

does that mean April 24th in this case ? 

Edited by karisma
forgot to mention something

7 hours ago, idmsw said:

Hey! I was also accepted (I am on the waitlist for UofT)  so I'm planning on waiting until closer to the day to accept it. I was wondering what you are referring to when you say you have to figure out how to pay for everything. Do you mean the deposit?

No just how to pay for school in general! I have some savings + OSAP, but it's hard not working for two years. I just got a really good job a few months ago that I wasn't expecting to get, so for the first few days after I was accepted at Laurier I was debating declining. I'm about 95% sure I'm going to go to school, I just need to get comfortable with all of the scary financial stuff that comes with it.

*Also, congrats!!

Edited by foxstock

17 hours ago, ms_teacher said:

University of Calgary 2-year MSW friends, how can we connect prior to starting school in August? Anyone start a Facebook or other type of group? I'd love to chat with future classmates!! 

I agree! 

I've looked on Facebook but haven't been able to find a group yet. 

12 hours ago, foxstock said:

No just how to pay for school in general! I have some savings + OSAP, but it's hard not working for two years. I just got a really good job a few months ago that I wasn't expecting to get, so for the first few days after I was accepted at Laurier I was debating declining. I'm about 95% sure I'm going to go to school, I just need to get comfortable with all of the scary financial stuff that comes with it.

*Also, congrats!!

Thank you you too!! And yes 100% I feel the same way! I am actually going to call this morning and see if there is an option to defer the acceptance by a year. I'm just finishing up my undergrad and I'm already in a bit of debt and experienced a bit of burn out. I'm hoping to work for a year to relieve some of the financial burden and just take it easy before beginning the two year trek ahah 

2 hours ago, kleigh17 said:

I agree! 

I've looked on Facebook but haven't been able to find a group yet. 

Should we take the lead and get that started? Or maybe there's something on another platform? Just not sure where else to look.

Edited by ms_teacher

On 3/28/2018 at 4:23 PM, SW Sevante said:

I feel you on the under-grad front @whatdidigetinto.  My average for Laurier admission is the worst part of my application.  I have a lot of employment, volunteer and life experience as I am older too.  Hopefully that will offset the academic average which in my opinion is not really indicative of whether or not you would be a good Social Worker, but what do I know?!  LOL.

I have a friend who is currently in the U of Windsor MSW program for working professionals and she said many came from other fields and have no previous experience in the field so I am confident that you are ahead of the game. As for enjoying it, she is happy and has no complaints thus far.

Is your friend in the Peel location? 

Hey everyone,

I was planning to apply to social work programs this coming fall and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions! Noticed this forum was buzzing so thought it would be a good time to do so.

I did my undergraduate degree in communications and graduated with an A in my final year (B overall cgpa) and A+ in my research methods course. 

I don't have much experience but the roles I've undertaken are as:

- a mentor for a girls mentorship program

- camp counsellor for youth and children from 6-18)

- some research experience for an external organization focusing on discrimination (based in toronto and in windsor)

- volunteering with elderly folks at a nursing centre

- fundraising and donor relations for a grass roots organization

- worked in communications at a non-profit organization

- volunteering online as a mental health listener

1) Would you believe that I should probably gain more voluntary experience to apply for the msw program? or should i look into the post degree programs as well?

2) Do many of you already have experience with social work vocabulary? I personally did not know what intersectionality, reflexivity, and social constructs were until this year- I've known what AOP is for a while now as well as some social work issues but would this affect my performance in a msw program? 

3) Coming from a degree such as communications, would it affect my performance in the masters degree? or to understand the curriculum?

4) Has anyone been accepted with little volunteering experience?

What would all of you suggest?

For those who did post degrees, do you think it helped you gain more insight in social work practice but also become more prepared for the msw?

I look forward in connecting with you all!

Sincerely,

MSW newbie

Edited by Mswnewbie

8 hours ago, ms_teacher said:

Should we take the lead and get that started? Or maybe there's something on another platform? Just not sure where else to look.

I'm not sure either! I was also thinking of joining the current years group, in case something got posted there?

Does this mean you have picked Calgary over Lakehead?

1 hour ago, Mswnewbie said:

Hey everyone,

I was planning to apply to social work programs this coming fall and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions! Noticed this forum was buzzing so thought it would be a good time to do so.

I did my undergraduate degree in communications and graduated with an A in my final year (B overall cgpa) and A+ in my research methods course. 

I don't have much experience but the roles I've undertaken are as:

- a mentor for a girls mentorship program

- camp counsellor for youth and children from 6-18)

- some research experience for an external organization focusing on discrimination (based in toronto and in windsor)

- volunteering with elderly folks at a nursing centre

- fundraising and donor relations for a grass roots organization

- worked in communications at a non-profit organization

- volunteering online as a mental health listener

1) Would you believe that I should probably gain more voluntary experience to apply for the msw program? or should i look into the post degree programs as well?

2) Do many of you already have experience with social work vocabulary? I personally did not know what intersectionality, reflexivity, and social constructs were until this year- I've known what AOP is for a while now as well as some social work issues but would this affect my performance in a msw program? 

3) Coming from a degree such as communications, would it affect my performance in the masters degree? or to understand the curriculum?

4) Has anyone been accepted with little volunteering experience?

What would all of you suggest?

For those who did post degrees, do you think it helped you gain more insight in social work practice but also become more prepared for the msw?

I look forward in connecting with you all!

Sincerely,

MSW newbie

Hey! I don't have a lot to say because (like a lot of other people) I have NO CLUE how schools actually make their decisions. So many people seem to have wicked awesome qualifications and don't get it. So I have no advice from that perspective. I can tell you about my own experience with the process though...

I did 2 undergrads, one in Fine Arts and the other in Education. I also went on to finish some post grad education courses and specialties in special education, guidance and counselling, etc. I taught for 10 years in behavioural education, all grade levels, worked overseas for 4 years, and did three years as an education awareness worker for a women's shelter working in high schools working with the police and delivery a program about healthy relationships and domestic abuse. I then did a graduate certificate in concurrent disorders where I graduate at the top of my class. Over the years I gained TONS of human services volunteer and work experience also. I applied for 3 MSW programs at that stage and was rejected by all three. Well waitlisted at 2 of them but never got in.

After those rejections, I went back to teaching for 2 more years and decided to do a Masters in Conflict Resolution (which I haven't finished yet). I applied to 2 more MSW programs and the Lakehead HBSW this year and got accepted to 2 out of the 3. I attribute that mostly to my Masters and the difference in my entrance statements. I just look at academic writing completely differently now and I can see a huge difference in the quality of what I said and how I said it.

I don't think you'll have trouble with the curriculum even though you're from a Communications background however, from experience taking all kinds of different courses over my life, if you don't have much real life experience, you'll find it much more difficult to do assignments, follow lectures and participate fully in discussions. It's never impossible but I know that I look back now and wish that I'd had the experience I have now before I took a lot of my courses because I would have gotten much more out of them.

Anyways, that's just my two cents :)

35 minutes ago, kleigh17 said:

I'm not sure either! I was also thinking of joining the current years group, in case something got posted there?

Does this mean you have picked Calgary over Lakehead?

Well....it means I accepted Calgary in the interim because I still haven't really decided but didn't want to let the opportunity go, just in case.

51 minutes ago, ms_teacher said:

Hey! I don't have a lot to say because (like a lot of other people) I have NO CLUE how schools actually make their decisions. So many people seem to have wicked awesome qualifications and don't get it. So I have no advice from that perspective. I can tell you about my own experience with the process though...

I did 2 undergrads, one in Fine Arts and the other in Education. I also went on to finish some post grad education courses and specialties in special education, guidance and counselling, etc. I taught for 10 years in behavioural education, all grade levels, worked overseas for 4 years, and did three years as an education awareness worker for a women's shelter working in high schools working with the police and delivery a program about healthy relationships and domestic abuse. I then did a graduate certificate in concurrent disorders where I graduate at the top of my class. Over the years I gained TONS of human services volunteer and work experience also. I applied for 3 MSW programs at that stage and was rejected by all three. Well waitlisted at 2 of them but never got in.

After those rejections, I went back to teaching for 2 more years and decided to do a Masters in Conflict Resolution (which I haven't finished yet). I applied to 2 more MSW programs and the Lakehead HBSW this year and got accepted to 2 out of the 3. I attribute that mostly to my Masters and the difference in my entrance statements. I just look at academic writing completely differently now and I can see a huge difference in the quality of what I said and how I said it.

I don't think you'll have trouble with the curriculum even though you're from a Communications background however, from experience taking all kinds of different courses over my life, if you don't have much real life experience, you'll find it much more difficult to do assignments, follow lectures and participate fully in discussions. It's never impossible but I know that I look back now and wish that I'd had the experience I have now before I took a lot of my courses because I would have gotten much more out of them.

Anyways, that's just my two cents :)

Thank you for your insight!

If anyone has anything else to share, please do! Would really help an applicant such as myself

10 hours ago, idmsw said:

Thank you you too!! And yes 100% I feel the same way! I am actually going to call this morning and see if there is an option to defer the acceptance by a year. I'm just finishing up my undergrad and I'm already in a bit of debt and experienced a bit of burn out. I'm hoping to work for a year to relieve some of the financial burden and just take it easy before beginning the two year trek ahah 

Let me know what they say! I know U of T allows deferrals, but it doesn't like Laurier does. That would be the ideal situation for me LOL

On 4/7/2018 at 1:24 PM, 2 Year MSW said:

Anyone applied to the MSWWP (regular track program in peel)? I  was encouraged to apply even though I meet no where near the 5000 post grad hours. Apparently they aren't doing rolling admissions. Everything is just due on May 1 

I applied to the MSWwp in Peel! I don't think they are doing full rolling admissions at this point. I had all my documents and references in by the end of February but am still waiting. Danielle (program administrator) sent an email saying that "Due to the large volume of applications we have received, application decisions may take longer than 8-10 weeks to process." So by large volume I wonder how many that is....

1 hour ago, ashketchum said:

I applied to the MSWwp in Peel! I don't think they are doing full rolling admissions at this point. I had all my documents and references in by the end of February but am still waiting. Danielle (program administrator) sent an email saying that "Due to the large volume of applications we have received, application decisions may take longer than 8-10 weeks to process." So by large volume I wonder how many that is....

I was told that they receive about 200 applications for all the programs so advance standing peel, foundations peel, and foundations windsor 

8 hours ago, ashketchum said:

I had mine in by January, and also haven't heard anything. 

On 2018-04-08 at 11:11 PM, foxstock said:

*Also, congrats!!

Hi! I also got into Laurier 2 year on campus and can relate to this so much. I am definitely accepting but it is really expensive!! Do you know if there are any scholarships etc that we may qualify for? Going to try and go that route if possible. Plus OSAP