Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Who all is headed to Waterloo in the fall for their BSW? I would love to connect, but I can’t find anything on Facebook.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted to their program, and good luck to everyone who didn’t! I know the rejections are tough. This past year after not being accepted anywhere has been hard, but I’ve learned and grown so much in myself and in my journey towards becoming a social worker!

Hey guys! I've been following this thread for a while now. Congrats to those who were accepted, and many blessings to those still waiting! Great things come to those who wait :). Quick question, is there a facebook group for York MSW 2019 (Advanced Standing)? Was unsuccessful in finding it despite good effort :(. 

So I'm doing my Masters of Professional Education in early childhood education starting in Sept thru Western university, its a 2 year program and all online. However, my dream has always been to do my MSW and i've applied to Laurier for the online jan 2019 start. From reading some previous comments on this forum my understanding is I won't know if I got accepted until 2 months before, which would be November, which means I will have already started the other program. So my question is, would I be allowed to do both programs at once? LOL, I know it would probably be a lot of work but they're both online...I will have already paid my first semesters tuition for western so I don't want that to go to waste and I really would like to be able to do both because my ultimate goal is to be a college professor. Would I need permission from both schools to do both? Or is this just not aloud. 

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer this for me!

4 hours ago, mlb96 said:

So I'm doing my Masters of Professional Education in early childhood education starting in Sept thru Western university, its a 2 year program and all online. However, my dream has always been to do my MSW and i've applied to Laurier for the online jan 2019 start. From reading some previous comments on this forum my understanding is I won't know if I got accepted until 2 months before, which would be November, which means I will have already started the other program. So my question is, would I be allowed to do both programs at once? LOL, I know it would probably be a lot of work but they're both online...I will have already paid my first semesters tuition for western so I don't want that to go to waste and I really would like to be able to do both because my ultimate goal is to be a college professor. Would I need permission from both schools to do both? Or is this just not aloud. 

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer this for me!

Hey. My experience is that you cannot do 2 programs at once. I am having a ridiculous time with a similar situation right now and it only involves an overlap in programs of less than 2 weeks. Check with the school though. They are likely all different in how they allow these things.

Hey, does anyone know how strict Laurier is in regards to reference letter submissions?  I have three people who agreed to write me letters, and only one has submitted so far.  They're only given 2 weeks to submit from the date I applied...so the due date is this Friday.  Personally I feel like 2 weeks isn't much time.  But anyway, here we are.  I'll speak to my manager at work today about her letter.  But the other one is a co-worker thats's in a different building.  She isn't responding to my emails so I have no idea what she's doing.  If I decide to change my referee to different people, will they be given another 2 weeks?  Starting to stress big time!!! 

1 hour ago, dem13 said:

Hey, does anyone know how strict Laurier is in regards to reference letter submissions?  I have three people who agreed to write me letters, and only one has submitted so far.  They're only given 2 weeks to submit from the date I applied...so the due date is this Friday.  Personally I feel like 2 weeks isn't much time.  But anyway, here we are.  I'll speak to my manager at work today about her letter.  But the other one is a co-worker thats's in a different building.  She isn't responding to my emails so I have no idea what she's doing.  If I decide to change my referee to different people, will they be given another 2 weeks?  Starting to stress big time!!! 

I would write your contact person at Laurier and do it today vs. leaving it until the deadline.  Ask her how would you go about changing one of your references/getting an extension on the deadline.  Knowing the concrete steps to take should help reduce your stress, and I am sure that you are not alone in having issues with references getting back to the school on time. 

Best of luck.

Hi Everyone,

I am super new to this and I didn't even know such a site existed until I joined the MSW group at UofT.  I was accepted to both UofT and Kings College at Western for the two year MSW program. With this being said McGill was my first choice for personal not academic reasons and, I was waitlisted.  I will be moving forward with my acceptance with UofT because well... it's a great school and amazing program.

For McGill I received an e-mail in February saying I was waitlisted and would know if I got in by April.  In April I was told there were no spots and the waitlist was closed.  Just wondering if any of you know more about this. It seems that most program keep a rolling waitlist until September.

Thanks so much! I wish I knew about this 6 months ago! :)

1 hour ago, Fashionista2018 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am super new to this and I didn't even know such a site existed until I joined the MSW group at UofT.  I was accepted to both UofT and Kings College at Western for the two year MSW program. With this being said McGill was my first choice for personal not academic reasons and, I was waitlisted.  I will be moving forward with my acceptance with UofT because well... it's a great school and amazing program.

For McGill I received an e-mail in February saying I was waitlisted and would know if I got in by April.  In April I was told there were no spots and the waitlist was closed.  Just wondering if any of you know more about this. It seems that most program keep a rolling waitlist until September.

Thanks so much! I wish I knew about this 6 months ago! :)

U of TTTTTTTT!!! An old supervisor of mine did the 1 year MSW at Mcgill and she said that it was a pretty bland program. She lived in Ottawa and just drove to class just to sit on facebook all class. This was just her experience though. 

9 hours ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I would write your contact person at Laurier and do it today vs. leaving it until the deadline.  Ask her how would you go about changing one of your references/getting an extension on the deadline.  Knowing the concrete steps to take should help reduce your stress, and I am sure that you are not alone in having issues with references getting back to the school on time. 

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advise!  I hounded them both today and they both got them submitted right away!  One of them totally forgot about it. lol.  One thing off my list of things to worry about.....now comes the wait..

To anyone writing cover letters for practicum positions at the moment - I am writing a general one that cannot speak to any specific skills I'd like to learn, any agencies I'd like to work at, or any specific theories or types of social work. Does anyone have any advice on what to include if it's not any of those things? I'm lost!

Note: I am starting my 2 yr MSW at York. 

On 6/11/2018 at 2:15 PM, Noelle1 said:

There are 80 spots and 290 applicants for September intake. Thank you for your positive vibes. In your cohort, did everyone have similar credentials? Did most have work experience? Or high grades? Just curious to what they put the most emphasis on (grades, work experience, certain degrees?)

How did you find out the number of applicants? I was told that the class size for Jan 2019 would be about 40 students. Thanks!

14 hours ago, bemore85 said:

How did you find out the number of applicants? I was told that the class size for Jan 2019 would be about 40 students. Thanks!

My advisor at Laurier informed me of this. That is for online/part-time for the non BSW route. If you are applying for the online program, maybe that intake(January) is smaller? They may increase the nunbers in the coming months. Good luck!!!

1 minute ago, harriet89 said:

anyone hear back from Lauirer yet? part-time/ online September intake? The stress is real! I was also told that the emails would be sent out the beginning of June-mid June. 

Good luck everyone! 

I am waiting for September intake too! I was told via e-mail that they are still reviewing applications and we will hear back mid to end of June. I was originally told begining to mid June. Yes, so stessful.  I just hope it doesn't take eveb longet than June. I need time to prepare if accepted and figure out how im paying for it .

Good Luck!

34 minutes ago, Noelle1 said:

I am waiting for September intake too! I was told via e-mail that they are still reviewing applications and we will hear back mid to end of June. I was originally told begining to mid June. Yes, so stessful.  I just hope it doesn't take eveb longet than June. I need time to prepare if accepted and figure out how im paying for it .

Good Luck!

Same here! and make a plan B if I don't get in haha 

I felt good during the application process, but now the panic is on and I'm second guessing everything. I'm glad they are accepting 80 and not 40! 

16 hours ago, WINDSORAPP said:

Anyone going to Windsor for the 2 year MSW full time program? I have just been accepted off the waitlist (YAY), and was hoping someone who is attending could message me! 

Thank you so much!

Hi! Me! Feel free to message me and we can talk on fb 

I just got an email this morning from Dilyara at Laurier requesting an interview from me for the Jan 2019 intake. Did anyone else get this email?? The email ends with "I will be able to answer any questions you might have about the program to make sure that Wilfrid Laurier is a great fit for you." 

Sounds like good news I hope, fingers crossed!! 

1 hour ago, maxie30 said:

I just got an email this morning from Dilyara at Laurier requesting an interview from me for the Jan 2019 intake. Did anyone else get this email?? The email ends with "I will be able to answer any questions you might have about the program to make sure that Wilfrid Laurier is a great fit for you." 

Was this the entry date you applied to? Was it for online/part time or Full time?  Edit: when did you finish your application package, can you share a bit about your background? :)

Edited by bemore85

24 minutes ago, bemore85 said:

Was this the entry date you applied to? Was it for online/part time or Full time?  Edit: when did you finish your application package, can you share a bit about your background? :)

I applied for the Jan 2019 online part-time start date. I completed my application package ~2.5 weeks ago, thats when my final reference letter was submitted. 

I just graduated from Western with an honors specialization in family studies and a major in psychology. My final year average was an 84. I don’t have alll that much experience. I volunteer at a health centre for children with disabilities and i’ve been a camp counsellor for the past 3 summers, thats basically all my experience. 

I did email laurier about 2 weeks ago because I’ve been accepted into westerns masters of professional education program that starts in september and I wanted to know when i would hear back from laurier about the january start date because I don’t want to waste money paying tuition for first semester at western just to end up dropping out if i were to get accepted to Laurier. So maybe that’s why she contacted me?? To let me know i have a spot and to decline my offer to western. Who knows. I’ll keep u updated for when she calls me! 

2 hours ago, maxie30 said:

Prior to my application being submitted i had a phone interview with, Dilyara. It was to see if "i was a good fit". This was before she sent me the application checklist. I applied begining of April. I wonder if the admissions team listens to the phone interviews prior to making a decision. Most grad schools do in person interviews. 

After my phone interview she said i could apply to the program as my grades met their requirements. I thought everyone had to do this? 

I have no idea who this Dilyara person is. lol!  I had a phone conversation with a Monica, who is an enrolment advisor.  The first time I was on Laurier's website, a chat window popped up and I started asking questions there.  Within minutes she was phoning me; I couldn't answer because I was at work so she emailed me as well.   The end of the email said "I would love to talk to you further about the program.  Could you let me know what time you are available so that I can set up an interview with you?"  She asked me a bunch of questions about my grades and why I was interested in being a social worker.  After we spoke, she sent me an email with all the application information.  I applied for the January 2019 intake, and all my info has been in since last week.  I expected they wouldn't start contacting people until after the application cut-off, which is June 28.  Our phone conversation was very casual and I didn't really think of it as an interview, but just an informative discussion.

8 hours ago, dem13 said:

I have no idea who this Dilyara person is. lol!  I had a phone conversation with a Monica, who is an enrolment advisor.  The first time I was on Laurier's website, a chat window popped up and I started asking questions there.  Within minutes she was phoning me; I couldn't answer because I was at work so she emailed me as well.   The end of the email said "I would love to talk to you further about the program.  Could you let me know what time you are available so that I can set up an interview with you?"  She asked me a bunch of questions about my grades and why I was interested in being a social worker.  After we spoke, she sent me an email with all the application information.  I applied for the January 2019 intake, and all my info has been in since last week.  I expected they wouldn't start contacting people until after the application cut-off, which is June 28.  Our phone conversation was very casual and I didn't really think of it as an interview, but just an informative discussion.

I've also been working with Monica, she contacted me within minutes of downloading the program brochure online and asked me a bunch of questions to make sure I met their requirements and program minimums. All of my forms have been submitted as of last week as well and she told me that we can expect to hear "within September or earlier" in regards to a decision.