Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

40 minutes ago, Did-I-get-in? said:

Got an email at 7am this morning that I was accepted to Laurier's online MSW for September! Good luck to those still waiting.

I still haven't heard, it's driving me crazy the waiting!!

16 minutes ago, julescr11 said:

I still haven’t heard anything either way from Laurier. Is anyone else still waiting?

Rejections and waitlists went out first. I totally understand your stress right now, but you will most likely recieve an offer. They are probably still sending them out. Hang in there ! Good news will be coming soon ?

19 minutes ago, Noelle1 said:

Rejections and waitlists went out first. I totally understand your stress right now, but you will most likely recieve an offer. They are probably still sending them out. Hang in there ! Good news will be coming soon ?

Thanks, it’s so hard seeing everyone get their info and not hear at all. I first heard it would be Friday at the latest then Monday at the latest. I guess I assumed it would be all at the same time rather than rolled out like this over several days. 

I have not heard anything from Laurier's online MSW as yet either! I spoke to Miljana again today, and she stated that hopefully sometime this week we should be hearing back. They are sending out emails in batches. I am trying to stop obsessively checking my emails lol.

1 hour ago, TeaLover17 said:

I have not heard anything from Laurier's online MSW as yet either! I spoke to Miljana again today, and she stated that hopefully sometime this week we should be hearing back. They are sending out emails in batches. I am trying to stop obsessively checking my emails lol.

Thanks for sharing that, it helps to know a bit more about what is going on. I tried contacting her a while ago and didn’t hear back. Maybe tomorrow ?

On 7/8/2018 at 8:20 PM, Meg_gray11 said:

Hi everyone, this is my first time using this forum, and I was looking for someone to answer some questions about Lakehead’s one year hbsw or King’s 2 year msw. I’m starting my applications in September and I’m afraid that my average is dragging me down. I have relevant work and volunteer experience, but my average will be high 70s or low 80s when I submit my application. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it! 

I did Lakehead's 1-year HBSW and remember the application process as being quite daunting. From what I recall, your average should still meet their requirements. Marks definitely aren't everything though, I worked hard on my resume, had strong references, and spent a lot of time preparing for the personal statement exam. It all paid off in the end. :) I also don't think the competition is as fierce as the application may lead one to believe, although I'm sure it varies year to year.
If you have any questions about the program feel free to reach out.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:25 PM, nicoleMSW said:

Thank you so much!! It will be Laurier for me (I accepted their offer already), although I was looking forward to getting to know you! However, Laurier has been my top choice from my first application cycle, so I was absolutely stunned by the news that I got off the waitlist! In fact, I'm completely stunned that I even had a choice between two incredible schools... I am so grateful!

Best of luck to you and I wish you nothing but success throughout this program! Hopefully we will cross paths in the future as Social Workers!

I withdrew from U of T today... so one more spot has opened for the 2 year MSW there! Congrats to everyone hearing from the waitlist :) 

Hi! I have been accepted into the online part-time program at Laurier and the 2 year program at U of T.  I was hoping you could give any insights you have on the two schools. How do they compare to each other? Is one or the other better for certain streams?

Thanks!

On 6/11/2018 at 2:15 PM, Noelle1 said:

There are 80 spots and 290 applicants for September intake. Thank you for your positive vibes. In your cohort, did everyone have similar credentials? Did most have work experience? Or high grades? Just curious to what they put the most emphasis on (grades, work experience, certain degrees?)

So sorry just seeing this now!! It seems to be able over the place. I have an undergrad in psych with a thesis marks around 85 and post grad in concurrent disorders average around 90. 5 years work experience in mental health and addiction and 2 years teaching a college course. Hope this helps :)

Hi everyone, 

New to this... I want to apply for the online MSW May 2019 start. How exactly do they calculate averages?

I know it's the last 10 courses... I've done 6 upgrades through athabasca - so do they just look at my most recent 4 as per my undergrad transcript? Or do they take an average of my final year and use that 4 times. If that makes sense...

Thanks in advance :)

I am on the waitlist for the regular (not online) MSW advanced standing at Laurier starting in September. They said they would notify us by July 31st, has anybody heard anything recently or moved off the waitlist? I'm getting pretty antsy!

On 7/12/2018 at 12:22 PM, No display name said:

Hi everyone, 

New to this... I want to apply for the online MSW May 2019 start. How exactly do they calculate averages?

I know it's the last 10 courses... I've done 6 upgrades through athabasca - so do they just look at my most recent 4 as per my undergrad transcript? Or do they take an average of my final year and use that 4 times. If that makes sense...

Thanks in advance :)

I would call and speak to one of the advisors about this. They will be best to answer these types of questions accurately.

Just wanted to say good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back - trust me i know how painful the waiting game is! This forum can sometimes cause more anxiety because you see the other amazing applicants you are competing with haha. However, everyone here offers such amazing support at the end of the day ❤️ 

I will be starting Windsor's mswwp program in the fall - if there is a fb group please let me know so I can make a fb account :P 

3 hours ago, Chiopia said:
On 7/18/2018 at 2:38 PM, MSWApplicant17 said:

I heard some people will be contacted this week

It's the end of the week. Maybe the were already sent. We have no way of knowing ?

On ‎2018‎/‎06‎/‎28 at 11:52 AM, 2 Year MSW said:

is anyone still waiting to hear back from windsor's msw working professionals program??!! The wait is killing me!!!

Hi there, did you get in? If so are you in Mississauga?