Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

2 hours ago, SierraMSW said:

Hi all simple question.... Windsor (specifically Working professional) vs. Laurier? Thoughts, opinions, experience?

Hey.  I applied to/was accepted to both.  I went to the info sessions for Windsor, and accepted at Laurier and started in May.

Pros to Windsor are that it's in-person and also considered a full-time program (if that affects your osap funding considerations at all).  Pros to Laurier is that it's online and you can do it on your own schedule vs. taking up your weekends.  Windsor's program also costs approx $10k more than Laurier for the entire program.

I have limited experience past the info sessions for Windsor and am still in my first semester at Laurier.  I chose Laurier mainly so that I wasn't committed for all my weekends and because the program costs less overall. 

Hello all. Im wondering if you used citations/references in your personal statement? Looking for recommendations - is this a good approach? 

I’m applying to Laurier. They will be looking for “Analysis of the contribution of social justice issues” in the personal statement. Does this mean the importance of social justice to my topic? I’m probably overthinking but the sentence just throws me! 

Has anyone from the waitlist for Laurier (online/part-time/september start) heard anything yet? Apparently, aug 1st was the deadline for those sent offers  to decline or accept their offers. 

Edited by Noelle1

On 8/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, SuzyH said:

Hello all. Im wondering if you used citations/references in your personal statement? Looking for recommendations - is this a good approach? 

I’m applying to Laurier. They will be looking for “Analysis of the contribution of social justice issues” in the personal statement. Does this mean the importance of social justice to my topic? I’m probably overthinking but the sentence just throws me! 

I was accepted for September online and used references and citations in my personal statement. Nothing major, just 2 or 3 to back up my thoughts with cited stats. 

Good luck with your application!

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bemore85 said:

Anyone else waiting to hear from Laurier for a Jan 2019 part time/online start? Any word on when we can expect acceptances?

I applied for the Jan 2019 start date and haven't heard anything yet either.  They told me late Aug/early Sept.  Based on previous cohorts, I'm expecting that will end up being pushed even later.  I'd like to find out sooner than later so I can have lots of time to figure out funding.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:47 AM, reposae said:

Hey all! 

I'm currently an MSW student at Wilfrid Laurier - graduating at the end of this year. I initially applied to 5 programs and was accepted to all of them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hey! I'm hoping to attend Laurier for social work. I'm wondering if you applied for CGSM or OGS or anything?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

To all my fellow uoft waitlist individuals, I'm just curious if anyone else has heard back? I know the wait-list ends tomorrow (the 7th) so I wanted to know if anyone knew of any movement off of it. 

I'm still holding out a shred of hope that out of some miracle I'll get an email ! LOL  

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a probably assumed conclusion, but as an update for future applicants:

I received an official rejection from Carleton Monday the 17th by email. Hilariously, I got it while sitting in a class and had to stop from rolling my eyes and saying “duh”. But I suppose that’s the date where it’s too late to actually enroll so they just officially rejected the rest of us ‘still waiting’. 

Good luck to future applicants! Feel free to hit me up if you have questions about York (or St Thomas & their 15 month BSW!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 11:33 PM, fylucn55 said:

I'm currently in year 1 of the two-year MSW program at U of T. ask me anything! 

@fylucn55 I am applying for U of T 2-year MSW program for 2019. I see that they ask you to choose the specialization in the second semester of year one. In this case, which of the five specializations are focused a lot on counselling? Also do first year courses give a lot of counselling overview and practical courses? In general, how do you like the program? :) 

Edited by JanineW

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2017 at 5:47 PM, reposae said:

Hey all! 

I'm currently an MSW student at Wilfrid Laurier - graduating at the end of this year. I initially applied to 5 programs and was accepted to all of them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi Reposae, 

I am hoping to apply for the MSW program at Wilfred Laurier. I was wondering if you can tell me a little bit more about MSW 2-year (full-time) for students who do not have a BSW for their undergraduate.

Is there a difference if you end up going for this program and not the MSW for students who do have a BSW? There isn't sufficient information on the website. What are the core differences? Can you still qualify to become a psychotherapist after this MSW program?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 7:17 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Let me know if you have any questions about the programs of Social Work at McGill, UQAM and Université de Montréal in Quebec.

Hi, I recently got waitlisted for McGill's MSW program. Do you know what are the chance of getting into the program from wait list position and when we would find out? Thanks! 

Edited by jjinjjin

On 6/14/2018 at 1:53 PM, Fashionista2018 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am super new to this and I didn't even know such a site existed until I joined the MSW group at UofT.  I was accepted to both UofT and Kings College at Western for the two year MSW program. With this being said McGill was my first choice for personal not academic reasons and, I was waitlisted.  I will be moving forward with my acceptance with UofT because well... it's a great school and amazing program.

For McGill I received an e-mail in February saying I was waitlisted and would know if I got in by April.  In April I was told there were no spots and the waitlist was closed.  Just wondering if any of you know more about this. It seems that most program keep a rolling waitlist until September.

Thanks so much! I wish I knew about this 6 months ago! :)

Hi, I recently got waitlisted for McGill's MSW program. When you got waitlisted in February does it explicitly said that you would know the result by April? Because I don't have that in email. Thank you! 

57 minutes ago, jjinjjin said:

Hi, I recently got waitlisted for McGill's MSW program. Do you know what are the chance of getting into the program from wait list position and when we would find out? Thanks! 

I can’t say because I was not waitlisted. I remember learning my admission on March 8th. Sorry I can’t offer more details... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

I am looking into the MSW at Waterloo, does anyone know about the competitiveness about getting into the program? I have a BA degree and a BSW, with a final GPA of 3.7. I also have around 6 years total work in social services, not necessarily social work roles. 

Hi everyone - 

In case anyone who was accepted to an MSW last year is still active on this site, I'm hoping to speak to someone from the King's College MSW about their experience in the two-year (or even the one-year) program. I was accepted this year, but have also received an offer from Laurier and I'm having a really tough time deciding which is my best fit. How clinical is Western? What's the placement program like? Is the small class size as much of a bonus as I imagine it to be?

Long shot, but if anyone has any insight and can send me a DM I'd really appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone, another person here to ask anyone currently in the MSW program at U of T. :)

I'm trying to find out information about scholarships (specifically entrance scholarships), but the information I'm finding is super vague. Does U of T grant entrance scholarships prior to the start of classes? Or are the only scholarship options the ones available to apply for in the Fall? 

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2018 at 9:01 AM, GradMSW said:

Please let me know if you have any question about Dalhousie’s distance bsw proram. 

Hello, 

I know this post is older, but in case you're still picking up messages on the site, I'm wondering if you could elaborate on your experience with Dal's BSW program? I'm debating between acceptance offers from Dal and Waterloo. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I'm applying to the online 2-year MSW program at Laurier and the Personal Statement form is tripping me up a bit... I'm wondering if the format is meant to be that of an essay with a 'thesis' statement and flow as such, or if we are really just meant to answer all questions separate from one another? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

8 hours ago, rofskis said:

Hi all! I'm applying to the online 2-year MSW program at Laurier and the Personal Statement form is tripping me up a bit... I'm wondering if the format is meant to be that of an essay with a 'thesis' statement and flow as such, or if we are really just meant to answer all questions separate from one another? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was unsure of this as well. After reading the instructions about 800 times, I opted to write an essay rather than answer the questions individually. However, I tried to write it in the order of the questions (i.e. paragraph 1 = question #1, paragraph 2 = question #2, etc.). Getting it to flow together seamlessly was a bit of a process. I'm not sure if this is what they were looking for, but given my uncertainty, I was trying to play it safe. Unfortunately, I still haven't received a decision (I applied for the January 2020 start date). Best of luck!