2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

Hey all, been lurking here for a while and decided to post because I have some interview news!

Undergrad Institution: Ivy, top 5 neuroscience program
Major(s): Neuroscience and Behavior
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.79
Overall GPA: 3.72
Position in Class: Doesn't officially rank until the end but, top 1/4th at least? Dean's list 4 semesters. 
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores:
Q: 159 (73rd percentile)
V: 167 (98th percentile)
W: 6 (99th percentile)

Research Experience: 3 years of research experience in college, 2 with one PI (a little older), 1 with my current PI (a little younger but a rising star, very well-connected in the neuroscience world). Working on an independent project, was an Amgen Scholar this summer at my home institution with the same PI. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Amgen Scholars Program (Junior summer), Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (Junior summer), Alumni Parent Internship Fund (Sophomore summer), Dean's List (4 semesters), Vice President of the Columbia Neuroscience Society, Peer Advisor for the Department of Psychology, full Student Member of the Society for Neuroscience, Primary Author - Columbia Student Research Symposium, Third Author - Society for Neuroscience Poster Session 2017

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None past research

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Have met with at least one PI from every school I applied to, mostly at SfN this year, one of my recs is from the head of the undergraduate neuroscience program and is glowing (rated me as one of the best students she'd ever worked with, I got to see this one), and my latest research rec should be really great too, first research PI rec should be good but not amazing. 

Special Bonus Points: Upward trend in my GPA, a number of A+'s on my transcript in neuro classes on both the bio and psych side. Heavily involved in mentorship/outreach leadership activities outside of the lab, all within science communication/awareness. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Not really. I'm a current undergrad at one of the schools on my list, and I'm from the location of another and had a compelling personal statement around returning home for the program, so those should have a slightly higher chance of acceptance. 

Applying to Where: All schools are neuroscience PhD programs

Harvard University - BBS - PiN

MIT - BCS 

Columbia - Columbia Doctoral Program in Neurobiology and Behavior

NYU - Doctoral Program in Neural Science 

University of Chicago - Graduate Program in Neurobiology

Stanford University - Neurosciences Interdepartmental Program

UCLA - Interdepartmental PhD Program for Neuroscience

UCSD - Neurosciences Graduate Program

UC Berkeley - Neuroscience PhD Program

Now for interview news, I was called around 11am this morning by the head of the Committee on Neurobiology at UChicago inviting me for an interview, first of the season! For those planning, their weekend is in two groups over the same weekend, Feb 1-3, or Feb 3-5. I had some extensive meetings with UChicago professors at SfN this year and met most of their faculty and all of the PIs I'm interested in there for a number of hours, so I was feeling pretty good about getting an interview. Official emails are coming out this week sometime. I didn't get a Harvard email last week either (though I did stupidly forget to fill out the supplemental app thing, so maybe that was part of it who knows). Good luck to all!

5 minutes ago, DontchaWantaPharma said:

Did anyone else just get a weird email from MIT BCS confirming the application without actually saying anything about interviews?

Yeah just got the same email and mini heart-attack too, likely went out to everyone who applied I'm guessing

41 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Seeing some people hear back from Northwestern DGP, but also see that they sent interviews into January in previous years, with a lot coming right before christmas. Surely this means there's still hope? Maybe? :(

Also wondering about UNC - BBSP, since a lot of people seem to have gotten interviews there. Wondering if they submitted for the priority deadline? I didn't submit until 12/5. Curious also about University of Washington GPN, seen an interview here or there.

Yeah, my friend who got into DGP last year got his invite in January, so I was pretty surprised to hear back so soon.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:15 PM, jasbee said:

According to last year's thread their first emails also went out December 10th, but they kept sending invites into the new year so I still have hope lol

Agreed, I wouldn't give up hope. I know people on the admissions committee and told me that they are still reviewing. Their process is to review in teams of two and if those two cannot determine it goes to a tie-breaker third. Apparently this process isn't done at the same speed for all people on the committee. We still have hope!

Applied (11): UM Baltimore, UM College Park, Mt. Sinai, UPENN, Brown, NYU, Penn State Hershey, Georgetown, CUNY, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel

Interviews (4/11): UM College Park, Mt. Sinai, Georgetown, Thomas Jefferson

Rejected (0/11):

17 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Yeah, my friend who got into DGP last year got his invite in January, so I was pretty surprised to hear back so soon.

I totally thought all invites would be sent out before the holiday break, but it's comforting to know that invites can still be extended in January.  There is still some hope!

15 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Ah okay, good to know! Honestly unless I get a rejection email I'm holding out hope till January. I'm very pleased with the my interviews so far, but Northwestern is my other top program (UMich PIBS and Case BSTP being my top 2/3) so I would be over the moon if I heard back. Oh well, ya can't get everything when you want it. I've seen people getting interviews as late as mid-Jan so don't be too worried just yet!

Rejected to UCSF Chemistry and Chemical Biology via website and email.

Interview invite to the University of Georgia Department of Microbiology. Was notified by potential PI via phone. Their recruitment weekends are Feb 1-4.

Still waiting on the other 9 schools for their decision but 3 of them have later deadlines so I won't expect much soon.

I'm applying to plant/genetics program this year. I've heard back from Berkeley and WashU so far. Does anyone know if UW-Madison genetics phd has been done with sending out interview invitations? I've been checking the forum like 10 times a minute lolllll 

2 hours ago, xhao said:

I'm applying to plant/genetics program this year. I've heard back from Berkeley and WashU so far. Does anyone know if UW-Madison genetics phd has been done with sending out interview invitations? I've been checking the forum like 10 times a minute lolllll 

I got a call from UW-Madison Genetics on Friday afternoon from an adcom to invite me and I got the email this morning confirming the invite. I'm not sure if they go out in waves though, but they just started sending out invites

11 minutes ago, Budeer said:

I've seen people posting U Penn CAMB, does that mean they already sent out all interview invites? 

There were invitations sent out Friday and yesterday/today. I'm waiting to hear back too. Trying not to lose hope yet as there may be more to come. I think most programs make decisions within the specific home areas.