2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

7 minutes ago, neuromemory said:

To my understanding MIT's BCS PhD is just one thing? Maybe you're thinking of a different program?

Yeah but I was asking what track did you choose when you apply to BCS. In application, you have to choose one of the following track: computation, cong, system or molecule track. 

10 minutes ago, Bioimmun said:

Yeah but I was asking what track did you choose when you apply to BCS. In application, you have to choose one of the following track: computation, cong, system or molecule track. 

Ah I didn't see that selection as tracks, just as areas of interest. I think the committee meets for everyone together though, so it's less distinct than say UChicago's divisions with different committee meetings. I chose systems, haven't gotten an email so far. 

So is it correct that Vanderbilt NGP is randomly reviewing and reaching out to people or is it a no if I haven't heard back from them yet? I see people taking about IGP but not as much about NGP. A lot of silence on my end right now making me antsy. I figured Berkeley metabolic biology would have been letting people know soon as well but I haven't seen anyone mention anything yet. 

2 hours ago, neuromemory said:

Ah I didn't see that selection as tracks, just as areas of interest. I think the committee meets for everyone together though, so it's less distinct than say UChicago's divisions with different committee meetings. I chose systems, haven't gotten an email so far. 

Ya I think it just specifies what your interested in for fit

13 hours ago, synapticcat said:

Seeing some people hear back from Northwestern DGP, but also see that they sent interviews into January in previous years, with a lot coming right before christmas. Surely this means there's still hope? Maybe? :(

Also wondering about UNC - BBSP, since a lot of people seem to have gotten interviews there. Wondering if they submitted for the priority deadline? I didn't submit until 12/5. Curious also about University of Washington GPN, seen an interview here or there.

I called today BBSP said good or bad we will hear by the end of the week

I e-mailed a PI from Michigan, since we'd talked extensively before I applied, and he said their PIBS program received a higher than usual number of applicants listing CMB as their first choice, making it more competitive this year. Hoping for good news for everyone else this week, and congratulations to those who made the cut!

8 hours ago, camth said:

I called today BBSP said good or bad we will hear by the end of the week

This is very helpful, thanks!  I have a friend who's a first-year at UNC through BBSP, I might reach out and see if she happens to have any insight into the process. 

Not sure which track/program everyone applied for, but I applied for neuro and I believe she did too when she applied. 

1 hour ago, scoobydoo9 said:

Do you know if that's for all programs within BBSP? 

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I would have to say yes. Because if I recall the way BBSP works is you aren't applying to the Ph.D. programs in your first year just the general BBSP program, then after that first year you choose your Ph.D. program. Also, I told the lady who answered that I had applied to the BBSP and she didn't ask me to specify my programs in order to answer.  

6 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

This is very helpful, thanks!  I have a friend who's a first-year at UNC through BBSP, I might reach out and see if she happens to have any insight into the process. 

Not sure which track/program everyone applied for, but I applied for neuro and I believe she did too when she applied. 

No Problem, best of luck. I, unfortunately, will no longer be able to sleep until Saturday after hearing that the decisions are coming lol.

Invited to interview for NYU neuro! CNS and Sackler are now under the same program, so this interview is for labs in both. Email at 1:52pm, had my name (Dear neurmemory,) but no specifics about my app, so could easily have been a form letter. Their dates are Thursday and Friday, January 25-26 or Thursday and Friday, February 15-16, and they want a confirmation by Dec 29th. I'd been in contact with 4 of the professors there and toured a lab (I live uptown so it was pretty easy to do for me), so I had connections going in. From my understanding they do first round interview invites, first round rejections, and then another set of maybes they take a few more weeks on. Good luck all :)