2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

6 minutes ago, neuronerd6 said:

If UPenn is interviewing 48 students and the last few years they enrolled 25-26.... do I have a good chance?

I'm not interviewing at Penn (didn't apply), but if they're interviewing 48 students and plan to enroll ~25, I assume they would also have to factor in students who they will offer spots to that will decline and enroll at another program - as in, they'll offer more spots than the number that will actually enroll. If that's the case, I feel like your chances should be pretty good? 

Best of luck!

5 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

I'm not interviewing at Penn (didn't apply), but if they're interviewing 48 students and plan to enroll ~25, I assume they would also have to factor in students who they will offer spots to that will decline and enroll at another program - as in, they'll offer more spots than the number that will actually enroll. If that's the case, I feel like your chances should be pretty good? 

Best of luck!

I hope so, starting to get worried. I have UPenn and Northwestern as of now and Northwestern accepts a little over half of their interviews:/

13 minutes ago, neuromemory said:

Invited to interview for NYU neuro! CNS and Sackler are now under the same program, so this interview is for labs in both. Email at 1:52pm, had my name (Dear neurmemory,) but no specifics about my app, so could easily have been a form letter. Their dates are Thursday and Friday, January 25-26 or Thursday and Friday, February 15-16, and they want a confirmation by Dec 29th. I'd been in contact with 4 of the professors there and toured a lab (I live uptown so it was pretty easy to do for me), so I had connections going in. From my understanding they do first round interview invites, first round rejections, and then another set of maybes they take a few more weeks on. Good luck all :)

Nice! I'm an international applicant and got an interview for NYU Sackler Biomedical Science for Jan 18/19.

3 minutes ago, neuronerd6 said:

I hope so, starting to get worried. I have UPenn and Northwestern as of now and Northwestern accepts a little over half of their interviews:/

Did you apply DGP or IBiS? For DGP it looks like they invite a total of 75-90 people and accept ~70 per year with a goal of ~30 matriculants (http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/program-statistics/L20PH_adm_enr.pdf) meaning that probably ~60-70% of interviews get acceptances (I think).

3 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Did you apply DGP or IBiS? For DGP it looks like they invite a total of 75-90 people and accept ~70 per year with a goal of ~30 matriculants (http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/program-statistics/L20PH_adm_enr.pdf) meaning that probably ~60-70% of interviews get acceptances (I think).

Here are the stats for IBiS if anyone is interested (http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/program-statistics/B15PH_adm_enr.pdf)

3 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

I applied to NUIN, from what I've heard ~70 get interviews and 40 get acceptance... it's still over 50%. Maybe I'm psyching myself out

2 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Those are incredibly good odds if you have an invite, so does that mean that a lot of the students who are admitted decide to go elsewhere?  I'm wondering because the program I applied to for Madison admits about 15-19 students a year and only 4-5 of them actually enroll.

1 minute ago, Neuropsycher said:

Hope you all are hanging in there! Does anyone know if WashU neuroscience is done with sending invites? I haven’t received an email yet (from them or any other schools) and am hoping there’s still a chance. 

I sent an email asking because they are my top choice and I need to make decisions on interview dates

14 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Best of luck!

I saw you're also interviewing for Case BSTP!  What weekend are you going?  Do you know any details about the interviews?

3 minutes ago, StemCellFan said:

Those are incredibly good odds if you have an invite, so does that mean that a lot of the students who are admitted decide to go elsewhere?  I'm wondering because the program I applied to for Madison admits about 15-19 students a year and only 4-5 of them actually enroll.

I'm not sure about that, but it would seem to be the case. Hope you get an interview mate.

4 minutes ago, StemCellFan said:

I saw you're also interviewing for Case BSTP!  What weekend are you going?  Do you know any details about the interviews?

I was going to ask you the same thing! They only offered me one interview date, which was 2/2-2/3, so I'll be going then. Not sure if the dates mean anything, but I submitted on December 1st for their "priority review". Unfortunately I don't know anything about the interviews :( I haven't been able to find much information online. I really like the program and it might be the best research fit for me (a lot of cool neuropath labs), so I'm really looking forward to the interview but I'm also really nervous!

Have you been able to find any stats or threads online from previous interviewees? I haven't had any luck. A neuroimmunology prof in my department did her postdoc there, so I might try to see if she knows anything about their admissions process. 

8 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

I was going to ask you the same thing! They only offered me one interview date, which was 2/2-2/3, so I'll be going then. Not sure if the dates mean anything, but I submitted on December 1st for their "priority review". Unfortunately I don't know anything about the interviews :( I haven't been able to find much information online. I really like the program and it might be the best research fit for me (a lot of cool neuropath labs), so I'm really looking forward to the interview but I'm also really nervous!

Have you been able to find any stats or threads online from previous interviewees? I haven't had any luck. A neuroimmunology prof in my department did her postdoc there, so I might try to see if she knows anything about their admissions process. 

I was given one interview date on Jan 19th, but I also submitted my applications really early around October-November.  I heard about a week after I submitted my app because they do rolling admissions and wanted me to respond by mid November to secure my date.  I'll let you know how my weekend goes and hopefully that'll help you out.  Other than the details in the email I got (seems like it'll be 2 full days in Cleveland), I don't know anything about the interviews or post-interview admission statistics.  

2 hours ago, dude3d30 said:

Nice! I'm an international applicant and got an interview for NYU Sackler Biomedical Science for Jan 18/19.

Congratulations! I also applied for NYU Sackler, but they have not returned to me yet. May I ask when you applied?

8 minutes ago, doctordoctor said:

is this for UPenn NGG? does this mean that all interviews have been sent?

Yes it is for UPenn NGG, I got my email on the 14th though and I don't know if they are all sent. In the email it said each interview session would have ~24 students 

2 hours ago, lpl37 said:

Hey all, does anyone know if Penn CAMB is done sending out invites?

As far as I know, CAMB typically sends their invites close together, if not on the same day. However, there seems to be evidence from previous years where people got invited later. This might vary per division though.