Jump to content
blc073

2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Recommended Posts

For those interested, I just got an email from UTHealth/MD Anderson Houston GSBS with an interview invite for the second weekend in February. Now I have a second interview to keep me from losing my cool if I don't survive Emory Neuroscience's needlessly competitive interview weekend (56 invites, 15 positions)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Undergrad Institution: Big State School, good reputation in biology
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA in Major: 3.97
Overall GPA: 3.91
Position in Class: 2-4%
Type of Student: Domestic, Male 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 166 
V: 168
W: 4.5
B: N/A

Research Experience: Three years, 2 labs.

Lab 1) 2 years, 1 publication to Cell Neuron (Systems Neuroscience). Worked both summers as well. Received scholarship for second summer.

Lab 2) Theoretical Neuroscience. 8 months, independent research. Potential first author publication. I've graduated early, so I might not be able to continue volunteering and affording rent. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 
Provost's Honors List every year, definitely Magna Cum Laude (maybe Summa)
Summer Research Scholarship


Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Just research
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
If any of the adcoms want Club Frisbee players, I'd be an athletic deep on any team. 

Special Bonus Points: PIs promised very strong LORs. One professor is super young and ambitious. He was at Stanford and Janelia Farm and is well-connected. The other professor used to be very active in comp neuro and is fairly well-connected, but has taken interest in helping undergrads develop skills recently. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
CS Minor GPA: 3.93


Applying to Where:
I can't remember the name of every program, neuroscience everywhere (specifically comp/theory)
Stanford
UCSD
UC Berkeley
CalTech - CNS
MIT - BCS
Columbia 
UW - Computational Neuroscience
McGill
Carnegie-Mellon - PNC 

Current Status

 

Invitations to Interview
UW
CalTech - CNS
CMU - SyNRG (They referred my application to this department. Going to wait for PNC (although it's a long shot)).

Rejections
Columbia - Theoretical Neuroscience (95% sure they are not giving anymore invitations)

  •  
Edited by Baller123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is is true that Harvard BBS only sent out one interview batch? If so, I'm kinda glad since this is my only chance of leaving this area... 

Also, have anyone heard from Stanford Bioscience and UCSD BMS?

I got interview from UCSF BMS and UCSD Bio so far, which are my top choices, so I don't really care for the rest (hopefully I don't fuck up the interviews!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, minds said:

For those interested, I just got an email from UTHealth/MD Anderson Houston GSBS with an interview invite for the second weekend in February. Now I have a second interview to keep me from losing my cool if I don't survive Emory Neuroscience's needlessly competitive interview weekend (56 invites, 15 positions)!

Which program within MD Anderson did you apply to? Neuroscience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

Which program within MD Anderson did you apply to? Neuroscience?

Yeah, but the email didn't specify the Neuroscience program. It only mentioned the GSBS. But I imagine the various programs are reviewing at different times, and because the email mentioned that there are other interview dates (aside from the one I was invited for), they might be sending out more invites. It looks like they sent out some interviews for Cancer Bio and Genetics, as well, according to the survey. Which program did you apply to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, minds said:

Yeah, but the email didn't specify the Neuroscience program. It only mentioned the GSBS. But I imagine the various programs are reviewing at different times, and because the email mentioned that there are other interview dates (aside from the one I was invited for), they might be sending out more invites. It looks like they sent out some interviews for Cancer Bio and Genetics, as well, according to the survey. Which program did you apply to?

Ok good to know! I applied to the molecular virology and microbiology dept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UIC GEMS is sending out invites--got mine this morning.  I was anticipating January based off of this site, but this is a pleasant surprise before the holidays.

Now I'm just waiting on Northwestern!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO I don't know if anyone cares but I just called UC-San Diego for the Biological Sciences Ph.D. and was told all decisions should be made in the next couple days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

Ok good to know! I applied to the molecular virology and microbiology dept.

Awesome. Well good luck! It seems like a pretty solid program. If I hear any updates I will be sure to post them here.

Edited by minds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, minds said:

Awesome. Well good luck! It seems like a pretty solid program. If I hear any updates I will be sure to post them here.

Thanks yeah I'd be curious to know! Do you know what the rate of admissions is AFTER someone gets an interview for schools like MD Anderson/Baylor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else waiting on UW M3D? I see some rejections and interviews on the results page from last week. Hoping my application didn't get buried or devoured by Krampus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone happen to know anything about UW Neuro? I've seen a few interviews here or there but nothing else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.