2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

This waiting game is brutal. I've gotten a few PhD interview invites so far and i'm super excited, but those who haven't responded yet are my top choices so this whole week has been me compulsively checking my email haha 

Still waiting to hear from UCSF's Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, NYU/Sackler's Biomedical Sciences, Stanford's Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine, Columbia's Cellular Molecular and Biomedical Sciences, and Boston University (though they sent an email before Christmas saying they're overwhelmed with applications and will be continuing to review them throughout January. 

6 hours ago, JacquelineY said:

Has anyone going to the interview for BCMB program at Weill Cornell been contacted by the travel agency? Since the interview is in two weeks I'm wondering if I should send them an email. 

4 hours ago, Bio_123 said:

Hi!

I also applied Weill Cornell BCMB and I haven't heard back. If I did not get it wrong, weill cornell sent you an invitation for an interview. I wonder if they give you any information whether there will be a second cycle invitations? I thought the interview days held in February, but if it is in the middle of January, maybe I contact them to get information if they are finished sending invitations.

4 hours ago, JacquelineY said:

Hi! The email that I got from Weill Cornell BCMB didn't mention anything about another round of invitations, and my interview is on Jan.17-19. Hope this helps!

Hey friends! Yes, there are 2 interview dates (I know this because I was initially invited to the later one but couldn't go so they switched me to the earlier group) -- Jan. 17-19 and Feb. 7-9. I also haven't heard anything from the travel folks yet about arrangements for two weeks from now, but I have to assume we'll be contacted pretty soon... right?!

Edited by eevee

17 hours ago, JacquelineY said:

Has anyone going to the interview for BCMB program at Weill Cornell been contacted by the travel agency? Since the interview is in two weeks I'm wondering if I should send them an email. 

I also haven't heard from the travel agency. I will probably contact them by the end of the week since I am residing overseas and I want to buy the flight as early as possible - interviewing 2nd week (Feb7th-Feb9th). 

13 hours ago, shmal96 said:

This waiting game is brutal. I've gotten a few PhD interview invites so far and i'm super excited, but those who haven't responded yet are my top choices so this whole week has been me compulsively checking my email haha 

Still waiting to hear from UCSF's Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, NYU/Sackler's Biomedical Sciences, Stanford's Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine, Columbia's Cellular Molecular and Biomedical Sciences, and Boston University (though they sent an email before Christmas saying they're overwhelmed with applications and will be continuing to review them throughout January. 

For UCSF's program - check your application portal and click on admission decisions, the results should be out. I received a generic rejection and they didn't even bother sending me an email to tell me to check the portal. 

8 hours ago, kalixxxx said:

For UCSF's program - check your application portal and click on admission decisions, the results should be out. I received a generic rejection and they didn't even bother sending me an email to tell me to check the portal. 

Thanks. Found out I was rejected as well :/ Annoying that they don't give any heads up about it. 

Even for their summer program they sent an email saying to check out the portal for an 'update', 

Does anyone know the other interview date(s) for UNC BBSP? I'm hesitant to schedule another interview weekend for February 1-3, just in case, because that's the only UNC date I've seen so far.

27 minutes ago, AllieKat said:

Does anyone know the other interview date(s) for UNC BBSP? I'm hesitant to schedule another interview weekend for February 1-3, just in case, because that's the only UNC date I've seen so far.

I applied under the neuroscience branch so the weekends may be different, but my UNC BBSP interview weekend is February 8-10. 

38 minutes ago, AllieKat said:

My UNC interview is on Feb 22-24.

53 minutes ago, AllieKat said:

I was offered Feb 8-10 & Feb 22-24 for Microbio!

Edited by microbenerd2018

On 1/2/2018 at 3:33 PM, synapticcat said:

Is this for BBSP? 

Yes, I'm not sure if my reply to this posted earlier. I'm honestly gonna just give them til the end of January and count it as a probable rejection if I haven't heard back by then 

52 minutes ago, Cottagecheese24 said:

If anyone is curious, UC Berkeley's Molecular and & Cell Biology graduate program will be sending out recruitment invites next week on Thursday & Friday (Jan. 11-12, 2018). 

Thank you for sharing! 

Are recruitment invites sent only to those who already have been contacted for an admission interview?

1 hour ago, Cottagecheese24 said:

If anyone is curious, UC Berkeley's Molecular and & Cell Biology graduate program will be sending out recruitment invites next week on Thursday & Friday (Jan. 11-12, 2018). 

Not to be rude at all, but I've heard (from a current student in the MCB program there) that 85% of the invites have already been sent out. So would that mean next Thursday/Friday are the stragglers/mass rejection emails?

48 minutes ago, bio_fis said:

Not to be rude at all, but I've heard (from a current student in the MCB program there) that 85% of the invites have already been sent out. So would that mean next Thursday/Friday are the stragglers/mass rejection emails?

I emailed the department today asking when they were going to give out recruitment invites and they replied with the following:

Dear Cottagecheese24,

The Admissions Committee is meeting next Wed, January 10 to make the final decisions.
Invitations for a recruitment visit will go out on Thursday and Friday of next week.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Best,

58 minutes ago, ElleEmme said:

Thank you for sharing! 

Are recruitment invites sent only to those who already have been contacted for an admission interview?

I'm not sure. I just emailed the department today asking when interview invitations would be sent out. I'm confused now because another replier has stated that interview invites have already been sent out. 

53 minutes ago, bio_fis said:

You're probably right. Thanks for the heads up! 

11 minutes ago, Cottagecheese24 said:

I'm not sure. I just emailed the department today asking when interview invitations would be sent out. I'm confused now because another replier has stated that interview invites have already been sent out. 

I noticed the same comment. The reason I asked is because I have not been contacted yet, so I was trying to decipher if that was a bad thing or not. In other words, do I still have a chance. In any case thank you for sharing the information. Best of luck to you and everyone else. 

21 minutes ago, Cottagecheese24 said:

I emailed the department today asking when they were going to give out recruitment invites and they replied with the following:

Dear Cottagecheese24,

The Admissions Committee is meeting next Wed, January 10 to make the final decisions.
Invitations for a recruitment visit will go out on Thursday and Friday of next week.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Best,

8 minutes ago, ElleEmme said:

I noticed the same comment. The reason I asked is because I have not been contacted yet, so I was trying to decipher if that was a bad thing or not. In other words, do I still have a chance. In any case thank you for sharing the information. Best of luck to you and everyone else. 

Sounds like there still is hope! Good luck all!

On 1/3/2018 at 3:14 PM, eevee said:

Hey friends! Yes, there are 2 interview dates (I know this because I was initially invited to the later one but couldn't go so they switched me to the earlier group) -- Jan. 17-19 and Feb. 7-9. I also haven't heard anything from the travel folks yet about arrangements for two weeks from now, but I have to assume we'll be contacted pretty soon... right?!

Update: just got an email from Weill Cornell's travel people :)

Has anybody contacted the Harvard Molecular and Cellular Bio Graduate Program and heard back anything from them? Are they done sending out invites? I have contacted the Dean but unfortunately have not gotten any reply..

45 minutes ago, tet2 said:

Has anybody contacted the Harvard Molecular and Cellular Bio Graduate Program and heard back anything from them? Are they done sending out invites? I have contacted the Dean but unfortunately have not gotten any reply..

For future’s sake, the Dean is not the person to contact with admissions questions. 

12 hours ago, eevee said:

Update: just got an email from Weill Cornell's travel people :)

I saw the email earlier. I was curious to check how many people the email has been forwarded - it's almost 250. If Weill Cornell is inviting a total of 250 people to the PhD interview session then the competition is really tough ;s 

1 hour ago, kalixxxx said:

I saw the email earlier. I was curious to check how many people the email has been forwarded - it's almost 250. If Weill Cornell is inviting a total of 250 people to the PhD interview session then the competition is really tough ;s 

[Insert grimace] Well, more reason for us to get well prepared. Also, larger pool often also means that they are taking more admissions. Anyways, good luck :)