2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

On 1/5/2018 at 11:57 AM, Oompa said:

Is Yale BBS-MCGD track done with sending interviews? How about JHU BCMB and UC Boulder? 

I've heard back from Yale BBS-MCGD and JHU BCMB in mid-December. Based on my exchanged with the JHU coordinator, it seems like invites are not being sent out anymore. I can't really speak to Yale's committee though

1 hour ago, factanonverba said:

What are you guys' thoughts on canceling an interview 3 weeks after accepting the invitation? The school was one of my safeties but was the first one to give me an interview offer, and now I have way too many interviews. The school purchased a non-refundable ticket for me, which I presume I will have to pay for if I cancel the trip? There is no information on this, but I don't want to ask them directly right now because then they will know they are low on my list...

I don't know if you will need to pay for the non-refundable ticket.  Unless you are 100% alright burning bridges with that school, I would still go to the interview if they already paid for your air fare and everything.  If you don't mind, then you can contact them to see what your options are.  It's one thing to decline an invite, but I would give all the schools and programs I'm meeting with the chance to recruit me, even if I have a list of schools ranked in my mind already.  If you were to interview everywhere and that is the only school you got into, would you still go?

On the other hand, if the program hasn't sent out its rejections and there is enough notice, you would give someone a chance to interview there.  I don't know if that is the case or not at this stage in the process.

That's just my 2 cents

Edited by StemCellFan

if there isn’t time conflict you really should go...no one can predict the post interview acceptance rate, or maybe you will find the faculties are the right people you want to work with. It’s all about the atmosphere and the right people you click with for PhD, I care more about that way more than reputation and project. Well, just my 2cents as well. I am glad you have many interviews man, many of us still hanging here and hoping for the best....

4 hours ago, whatshouldidoo said:

Has anyone heard from Rockefeller yet??? And any clue on when their interview week is????

Someone posted earlier that they will be sending out invites 2nd - 3rd week of January so keeping finger crossed. 

5 hours ago, whatshouldidoo said:

Has anyone heard from Rockefeller yet??? And any clue on when their interview week is????

As mentioned above, I heard from the graduate program coordinator that the interviews will be sent out in these two weeks.

And their interview weekends are Feb.22-23 and Mar.1-2, as said somewhere on their website (can't remember where).

Fingers crossed:)

1 hour ago, siliconchins said:

Anyone know if UChicago biomedical sciences (specifically Cancer Biology) is still sending out invites? They sent out invites in Dec in previous years but haven't heard anything about it this year yet...

I believe they haven't started yet. The interview weekend is Feb.22-24 so there's still time. Sit tight :)

There are some people who mentioned in the grad cafe "results search" that they received interview on 22nd Dec. I am have got any notice either. Which tract in MIT BCS did you apply?  

Edited by sk834

2 hours ago, JacquelineY said:

I believe they haven't started yet. The interview weekend is Feb.22-24 so there's still time. Sit tight :)

Thanks! Wasn't sure if any notices had gone out as the program is relatively small and pretty separate from the rest of the BSD.

35 minutes ago, sk834 said:

There are some people who mentioned in the grad cafe "results search" that they received interview on 22nd Dec. I am have got any notice either. Which tract in MIT BCS did you apply?  

I put systems first, then cell&molecular second, and cognitive third. What about you?

Was this Dec. 22nd 2017?? or from previous years? It sounds like the MIT bio invites just went out so I was hoping BCS would be next potentially

I applied to Cognitive Science( have worked there as a UROP for a summer-- this program is super competitive) 

Yes, it is Dec. 22nd 2017. Biology is a different department than BCS so they send out invitation in different dates.

6 minutes ago, sk834 said:

I applied to Cognitive Science( have worked there as a UROP for a summer-- this program is super competitive) 

Yes, it is Dec. 22nd 2017. Biology is a different department than BCS so they send out invitation in different dates.

In last year's thread it looks like the last MIT BCS invitations were sent out around the second week in Jan so I'm hoping maybe more invites will go out this week.  Good luck and let me know if you hear anything!

53 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Thanks! Wasn't sure if any notices had gone out as the program is relatively small and pretty separate from the rest of the BSD.

I'm an undergrad at UChicago and my lab knows I'm applying, so they'd tell me if invites were out, and so far I'm not aware of any. But in any case you're right that the cancer program has their own admission committee and so on, so in that sense they are pretty separate. 

Also unsolicited information: so far as I heard on last Friday, the invites for immunology at UChicago also didn't seem to have gone out. I guess this year the biomedical cluster are just starting late...

6 hours ago, whydoaphd said:

Any International students who have heard back from Yale BBS (MCGD), Maryland BISI (MOCB), JHU (CMDB)? If yes, any idea if they are done sending out invites? Thanks!

I heard back from Yale BBS MCGD before the holidays. I currently live in the US though.

9 minutes ago, JacquelineY said:

I'm an undergrad at UChicago and my lab knows I'm applying, so they'd tell me if invites were out, and so far I'm not aware of any. But in any case you're right that the cancer program has their own admission committee and so on, so in that sense they are pretty separate. 

Also unsolicited information: so far as I heard on last Friday, the invites for immunology at UChicago also didn't seem to have gone out. I guess this year the biomedical cluster are just starting late...

Yeah, I'm currently working at UChicago but for medical faculty who are unaware of the admissions timeline. Since it seems like some BSD committees have already met, wasn't sure if they had all sent out interview invites already. Please keep us updated, I really appreciate it! :)