2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

1 hour ago, siliconchins said:

Yeah, I'm currently working at UChicago but for medical faculty who are unaware of the admissions timeline. Since it seems like some BSD committees have already met, wasn't sure if they had all sent out interview invites already. Please keep us updated, I really appreciate it! :)

Sure! You are very welcome :) 

18 minutes ago, Entobehave said:

@JacquelineY did you get an invite from Rockefeller today?

6 minutes ago, JacquelineY said:

Yes, three hours ago.

Looks like a few invites went out today - one of my friends called the graduate office and they said that students will be notified this week and that they dont send out everything in one day. I don't know if that means that some invites are still coming, but fingers crossed!

Thank god! I have been sooooo sad because I did not hear from Rockefeller today. I had talked with a professor there as his research really interested me and he had told me that he would be happy to take someone with my background and interest. I did not know what went wrong!  

Edited by sk834

1 hour ago, abhisheks94 said:

Looks like a few invites went out today - one of my friends called the graduate office and they said that students will be notified this week and that they dont send out everything in one day. I don't know if that means that some invites are still coming, but fingers crossed!

Thanks for that message abhishek. I can rest a bit easier tonight :)

8 hours ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Just got an interview invite at MD Anderson UT Health Houston Cancer Biology & Immunology Ph.D. program! That's exciting! Right back in my hometown of Houston. :)

That's awesome! Congrats. I'm also a Houstonian interviewing at UTHealth for the Neuroscience program (but I hope to work with a PI who has a joint appt in Immunology). My interview is Feb 8-10. If yours is later, I can try to give you some insider info after I go to mine if you'd like.

3 hours ago, minds said:

That's awesome! Congrats. I'm also a Houstonian interviewing at UTHealth for the Neuroscience program (but I hope to work with a PI who has a joint appt in Immunology). My interview is Feb 8-10. If yours is later, I can try to give you some insider info after I go to mine if you'd like.

Nice. We'll definitely see each other at the interview. My interview is on Feb 8-10 as well!

Hi everyone!

I got invitation to an interview. They don’t expect any answer, since we will fill in a form to schedule the interview date. Should I reply the email to thank for the invitation. I am not sure because I also do not want to take Dean's time.

Edited by Bio_123

2 minutes ago, Bio_123 said:

Hi everyone!

I got invitation to an interview. They don’t expect any answer, since we will fill in a form to schedule the interview date. Should I reply the email to thank for the invitation. I am not sure because I also do not want to take Dean's time.

Congrats on the interview! I don't think it's necessary to email back, just fill out the form so they can schedule you. 

Rejection from Yale Immunology!!

So 3 programs gone. Yale Immunology, Harvard BBS, Cornell CMB.

I am wondering whether the others sent their rejection already?

Applied to 9 programs..Now feeling the application season is over!! Probably will be left high and dry. Any ideas how to improve CV for next year?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Bio_123 said:

Hi everyone!

I would respond after filling out the form. Just say something like "I've completed the form and look forward to meeting you at the interview." For me, personally, it's like insurance that they know I'm interested in case something happens and the form doesn't go through. Also shows enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Otinogonnyo said:

Applied to 9 programs..Now feeling the application season is over!! Probably will be left high and dry. Any ideas how to improve CV for next year?

Thanks

Have all of your schools sent out invites already? I know someone who had essentially quit because she was only getting rejections, but she just got her first interview today. Don't start freaking out until February.

2 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

I would respond after filling out the form. Just say something like "I've completed the form and look forward to meeting you at the interview." For me, personally, it's like insurance that they know I'm interested in case something happens and the form doesn't go through. Also shows enthusiasm.

Thank you for advice! :)

Hi everyone,  

I had an interview invite from UC Davis's Integrative Genetics and Genomics program on December 21, but am still waiting to hear from the following:

Harvard OEB

UT Austin Microbiology

Berkeley IB

Richard Gilder Graduate School in Comparative Biology.

If anyone else has applied to RGGS in Comparative Biology, I've been told by my PI, who's on the committee, that those invites should be sent out by the end of the week, and they only started reviewing applications on Friday.  But any word about Harvard, Austin, or Berkeley would be much appreciated.

In December a school contacted me for an interview but after accepting the invitation they have sent me no confirmation of any sort. Is this usual or should they have given me a response by now? I’m concerned that my accepting of the invitation may not have gone through. Thank you for the help. 

4 minutes ago, Davylee369 said:

In December a school contacted me for an interview but after accepting the invitation they have sent me no confirmation of any sort. Is this usual or should they have given me a response by now? I’m concerned that my accepting of the invitation may not have gone through. Thank you for the help. 

I got an invitation from Uchicago before Christmas and filled out the form 3 times just in case the form didn't get through...then I sent another personal email to confirm that they have received my form, they replied quickly..So if you are worrying please send them an email and ask if they have received your form, they will be glad to confirm with you I believe, cause it shows a lot of your enthusiasm towards their program isn't it? 

3 hours ago, Otinogonnyo said:

Thanks

Having a medical a degree and having worked as a post-doc, do you really need a PhD? Not sure how it is for international applicants, but people that already have a medical degree have a harder time getting in because they cannot be placed on pre-doctoral grants, so funding is more complex.

29 minutes ago, Wall7213 said:

Hi everyone,  

I had an interview invite from UC Davis's Integrative Genetics and Genomics program on December 21, but am still waiting to hear from the following:

Harvard OEB

UT Austin Microbiology

Berkeley IB

Richard Gilder Graduate School in Comparative Biology.

If anyone else has applied to RGGS in Comparative Biology, I've been told by my PI, who's on the committee, that those invites should be sent out by the end of the week, and they only started reviewing applications on Friday.  But any word about Harvard, Austin, or Berkeley would be much appreciated.

Congrats on the Davis interview! I used to work in a lab there with a bunch of IGG PhD students, so I might be able to answer some questions if you have any