2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

14 minutes ago, Katiebird said:

I had a phone interview with Emory GMB in December then haven't heard back. I was told after the phone interview they were choosing who to invite to in-person interviews before Christmas. I assume I have been waitlisted or rejected. 

I had a skype interview with them back in December as well so I was assuming the same.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, Bio_123 said:

UNC BBSP told me that review process is still taking place and they still have offers to give out. They expect to send notifications by mid-late January.  

Do you know if you get emailed or a letter sent in the mail? I am waiting to hear back from UNC BBSP Microbiology.

3 hours ago, geneticsgal1996 said:

Has anyone heard from any of these programs/has any idea if they are still sending out invites?

Emory GMB (I've seen other Emory programs posted but not this one)

Brandeis CMB (haven't seen anything yet!)

UPenn CAMB (seen a few a while back but not sure if they're still sending anything out!)

NYU Sackler

Boston PIBS (saw earlier post^ but if anyone else has heard anything!)

Vanderbilt IGP (Biochemistry specifically!)

And in case anyone was wondering about programs:

Interview from Northwestern DGP (Just before Christmas)

Interview from Pitt IBGP (Mid-Dec)

Interview from Tufts Sackler Genetics (1st week of Jan)

I've heard from NYU Sackler before the break.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:35 AM, strugglebus2k17 said:

I'm also applying to similar schools as you. Houstonian here :) what programs did you apply to?

I am microbiology/virology/immunology

I am also from Houston. I have applied to immunology and cancer biology programs at UTSW. BCM I applied to immunology. 

15 hours ago, microbiogal said:

Do you know if you get emailed or a letter sent in the mail? I am waiting to hear back from UNC BBSP Microbiology.

I sent them an email and asked if the review process is complete. 

21 hours ago, genomicsandstuff said:

Anyone have information on the following programs or know if they're still going to be sending out invites?

1. Columbia University, Biological Sciences (GSAS)
  2. University of Chicago, Molecular Biosciences (Genetics, Genomics, and Systems Biology)

And to share, here are the schools I've received invites from (all before Jan 1st)

1. UPenn (Genomics and Computational Biology)
  2. Cornell (Genetics, Genomics, and Development)
  3. Duke (Genetics and Genomics)
  4. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor (PIBS, Human Genetics) 
  5. Baylor College of Medicine (Molecular and Human Genetics)
  6. University of Wisconsin - Madison (Genetics)

If anyone applied to JHU (Human Genetics), I've contacted them and they said they will be sending out invites on January 17th.

Same, still waiting for Chicago GGSB.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:16 AM, lwalker2149 said:

Thank you!

When did you email them? I know that some departments say not to send emails regarding admission decisions, that they will contact you when a decision is made regarding your application. 

It depends. I called the graduate division coordinator and that's how I learned. I don't think it hurts unless you come off as rude or impatient. Good luck.

Is anyone interviewing at Columbia? I’m going in February but the travel agency made it sound like there’s a January weekend too. Just wondering in case anyone could provide some insight before I go. 

29 minutes ago, daauni said:

Is anyone interviewing at Columbia? I’m going in February but the travel agency made it sound like there’s a January weekend too. Just wondering in case anyone could provide some insight before I go. 

My interview at Columbia is at 2/16 and thats the only choice I got, hope it helps

So far I've received interview offers from Pitt PMI (early Jan), Vanderbilt IGP (early Dec), Penn State BMS (early Dec), Temple BMSC (yesterday, so mid Jan), and UVA BIMS (early Dec). Still waiting to hear from UNC BBSP. For those looking in the future-I'm from a state school in an immunology focused undergrad program. My GPA is a 3.58 and I got a 160/160/4.5 GRE. I have just over 3 years of research experience, no publications, but presented at one national and one international conference. Won a national award for my research, but that is really the only major accomplishment on my CV.