2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

2 hours ago, ElleEmme said:

Has anyone here heard from the following schools/dept?

UC Berkeley - MCB

UC Davis - BMCDB

Columbia - Micro & Immuno

NYU Sackler - Biomed 

UMiami - Micro & Immuno

UMaryland (Baltimore) - GPILS, Molecular Micro & Immuno

UFlorida - Biomed, Biochem & Molecular Bio

I am an international student (currently in US) and was not sure if they contact international students last because they assume it will only be a skype interview. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! 

PS. Good luck to those with upcoming interviews. 

I'm a domestic student and heard from NYU Sackler  Microbiology/immunology and inflammation yesterday for an interview March 1/2

2 hours ago, ElleEmme said:

UC Berkeley - MCB

UC Davis - BMCDB

NYU Sackler - Biomed 

UMiami - Micro & Immuno

I am an international student (currently in US) and was not sure if they contact international students last because they assume it will only be a skype interview. 

Also waiting to hear back from UMaryland, same program too. Good luck to you.

3 hours ago, CaliforniaRunnerKid said:

I have interviews at Columbia and NYU. Still waiting on Cal. Didn't apply to the others

1 hour ago, LiaLuver said:

I’m a domestic student and applied to UMiami for Biochem and Molecular Bio and UMBC BioSciences and haven’t heard anything back yet. 

1 hour ago, strugglebus2k17 said:

I'm a domestic student and heard from NYU Sackler  Microbiology/immunology and inflammation yesterday for an interview March 1/2

1 hour ago, Bio-warrior said:

Also waiting to hear back from UMaryland, same program too. Good luck to you.

31 minutes ago, shmal96 said:

Still waiting to here from them too :/ 

I assume we're on the 'waitlist' after they see who accepts their first round of interviews

Thank you all for your input. Good luck everyone.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:35 AM, Katiebird said:

I had a phone interview with Emory GMB in December then haven't heard back. I was told after the phone interview they were choosing who to invite to in-person interviews before Christmas. I assume I have been waitlisted or rejected. 

I had a phone interview with PBEE. They told me that they send out acceptances after the end of Jan because they wait for the in person interviews! Dunno if it's the same for GMB, but don't lose hope :)

16 hours ago, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Accepted to Ohio State Biomedical Sciences Graduate Ph.D. program after my interview weekend!!! First acceptance! Feels great! :)

Congrats! Do you have any insight into how the weekend went? I am interviewing there in two weeks. 

7 hours ago, ElleEmme said:

UC Berkeley - MCB

UC Davis - BMCDB

NYU Sackler - Biomed 

UMiami - Micro & Immuno

I'm not an international student, but I heard from Berkeley mid December, interview dates are February 4-6 and February 25-27. 

On 1/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, synapticcat said:

For anyone interviewing with UMich PIBS (1/25-1/27), I just talked to the graduate office and interview itineraries will be sent out on Friday :) 

Thanks! I was starting to get worried about whether I'd have time to briefly read up for the faculty interviews!

6 minutes ago, TrashPanda said:

Thanks! I was starting to get worried about whether I'd have time to briefly read up for the faculty interviews!

No problem! I was too. It's my first interview so I was getting nervous! I actually called because I was anxious they hadn't gotten my information or something haha. What department are you interviewing with? If it's biochem you might end up hanging out with one of my friends who's a current student!

See you there! :D Ann Arbor is a fun place for an interview weekend. 

19 minutes ago, genomicsandstuff said:

Anyone have insight on Columbia's Biological Sciences program (GSAS)?  From data in the results search it looks like they extend offers over a really long range, as early as December and as late as February.  

Also waiting to hear back from Columbia. Their website says that interviews are conducted in late January and early March. Does anybody know if they'll send out more interview offers after the first interview weekend?

18 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

No problem! I was too. It's my first interview so I was getting nervous! I actually called because I was anxious they hadn't gotten my information or something haha. What department are you interviewing with? If it's biochem you might end up hanging out with one of my friends who's a current student!

See you there! :D Ann Arbor is a fun place for an interview weekend. 

I'm interviewing with CMB and it's my first one too! Maybe I'll see you there!

On 1/16/2018 at 8:05 PM, Some violinist said:

I signed up for the first date! And no, I’m not sure how many they accept, although I don’t see any post-interview rejections in the results section, just wait-lists and acceptances... I’ve heard great things about the program, I know a few people in there and the environment seems great. I think the flexibility of rotating through labs across different departments (everything from Physics to the Media Lab!) and the option of having two advisors is pretty interesting. Definitely one of my top choices!

Me too! That's encouraging, since it's one of my top choices at the moment also. There's a huge range of faculty and labs affiliated with the program, and a number of people doing research in exactly what I want to do (microbial ecology and community dynamics), which I've found to be pretty rare in traditional microbiology-type programs. The rotation thing is definitely interesting to me, since most of the other programs I'm applying to are more direct admission to one lab (which is mostly the case for ecology and environmental type programs). Looking forward to it for sure!

31 minutes ago, mochamocha73 said:

Me too! That's encouraging, since it's one of my top choices at the moment also. There's a huge range of faculty and labs affiliated with the program, and a number of people doing research in exactly what I want to do (microbial ecology and community dynamics), which I've found to be pretty rare in traditional microbiology-type programs. The rotation thing is definitely interesting to me, since most of the other programs I'm applying to are more direct admission to one lab (which is mostly the case for ecology and environmental type programs). Looking forward to it for sure!

Yeah, the EAPS and civil engineering folks give it that twist, I hadn’t realized it was uncommon. Cool! See you in a month, then!

12 minutes ago, Neurobio2018 said:

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt igp is still sending out invites? 

I would like to know as well! I know on their website it said they would be reviewing applications every Monday and sending out interviews on a rolling basis and I believe by March 15th they would have all interview invites out.

11 hours ago, tlv5752 said:

Congrats! Do you have any insight into how the weekend went? I am interviewing there in two weeks. 

It was an awesome weekend. Everyone stayed at the Blackwell Hotel which is on campus. On Thursday night, you will start with dinner at a local restaurant with the current grad students and then they'll take everyone out to ice cream after dinner. Friday is when everyone goes through faculty interviews in the biomedical research tower. Also, you will learn about different areas of research emphasis and the current grad students will take everyone on a tour through the OSU campus. Saturday - you will get to tour a research institute before everyone departs. It was a lot of fun and you get to learn so much about the program! OSU has an amazing top caliber program and all of their faculty are extremely supportive of their students. I was extremely impressed with OSU and am strongly considering the program now that I got accepted into OSU. You'll have a great experience and a lot of fun too! 

On 16.01.2018 at 9:27 PM, JacquelineY said:

I heard nothing. Let me know if you end up "bothering them" and what they say:)

On 16.01.2018 at 11:07 PM, virology_2018 said:

I didn't receive any other emails, but I did receive a package in the mail with a schedule, print out of the invitation to interview email, and a bunch of booklets describing the graduate program and research at Rockefeller.

On 16.01.2018 at 9:07 PM, gamgee said:

Has anyone who received a Rockefeller invite heard anything after submitting the Google form? Trying to decide if I should bother them or just sit tight. 

I haven’t heard back, either. The deadline for the questionnaire was 19th of January, they may return after the deadline.

Undergrad Institution: Top Florida State School
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.33
Overall GPA: 3.17
Position in Class: Above average most likely? 
Type of Student: Domestic female 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 151 (52nd percentile) 
V: 155 (59th percentile) 
W: 4.5 (82nd percentile) 
B: NA

Research Experience: Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium (2 research cruises with Georgia Tech and Sanibel) (2 publications) 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: GSUSA representative for the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts's Environmental Conference in Switzerland. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Physics, Chemistry, Biology & Math tutor at university multiple semesters, volunteer at local girl scout council for the Gold Award Committee and program developer for STEAM activities. 

Applying to Where:

1. Brandeis University - Biochemistry & Biophysics 
  2. Rochester - Genetics, Stem Cell & Development 
  3. Buffalo - Chemical & Bioengineering
  4. Fordham- Molecular & Cellular Biology 
  5. American Museum of Natural History- Comparative Biology 
  6. USF- Medicinal Science 

My research revolve around understanding how environmental stimuli effect phenotypic characteristics especially in diseases and population evolution. 

8 hours ago, geneticsgal1996 said:

I would like to know as well! I know on their website it said they would be reviewing applications every Monday and sending out interviews on a rolling basis and I believe by March 15th they would have all interview invites out.

I know the NGP sent out their first round and anyone that hadn't gotten a rejection or interview is on hold until their first round of interviews are done, but I don't know if that is the same thing for the IGP.

9 hours ago, Neurobio2018 said:

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt igp is still sending out invites? 

8 hours ago, geneticsgal1996 said:

11 minutes ago, CMUnate said:

I know the NGP sent out their first round and anyone that hadn't gotten a rejection or interview is on hold until their first round of interviews are done, but I don't know if that is the same thing for the IGP.

As far as I know, the latest interview weekend they offer for IGP is 2/9 (they may have a later date, but that was the latest of four that I know of). Hope that helps and you hear something soon! Vandy's other IGP dates are 1/19, 1/26, and 2/2.

On 1/9/2018 at 1:59 PM, Wall7213 said:

Hi everyone,  

I had an interview invite from UC Davis's Integrative Genetics and Genomics program on December 21, but am still waiting to hear from the following:

Harvard OEB

UT Austin Microbiology

Berkeley IB

Richard Gilder Graduate School in Comparative Biology.

If anyone else has applied to RGGS in Comparative Biology, I've been told by my PI, who's on the committee, that those invites should be sent out by the end of the week, and they only started reviewing applications on Friday.  But any word about Harvard, Austin, or Berkeley would be much appreciated.

I applied to RGGS! I got an email from the Grant Committee head last week(January 10th) saying they were in the process of reviewing my application currently. So that was the only contact I have so far from them. But best of luck to you!