2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

2 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

I got into my top choice in Madison!!!!  I'm 99.9% certain I'm going here, but I still want to at least go on the rest of my interviews (at least the ones for which a plane ticket was purchased).  Would it be bad if I waited to accept the offer in March after my last interview?  Or should I withdraw my application for the places I'm not flying out to?  I'm so excited, but I don't know what to do now!

Congrats!!! That's super exciting and I hope you're feeling on top of the world! I don't think it's a bad idea to still go to the rest of your interviews. They probably expect/already know that you have interviews with other programs, so I wouldn't worry about it!

2 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

I got into my top choice in Madison!!!!  I'm 99.9% certain I'm going here, but I still want to at least go on the rest of my interviews (at least the ones for which a plane ticket was purchased).  Would it be bad if I waited to accept the offer in March after my last interview?  Or should I withdraw my application for the places I'm not flying out to?  I'm so excited, but I don't know what to do now!

Congratulations! No, it's not bad to wait to accept. In fact, I would encourage you to do so until after your last interview.

Hey guys, so from my understanding, most schools by now are either sending acceptance or invitations for interviews or to see the school. \

In regards to Harvard, their biophysics and biomed have already made the decision. 

UConn Biomed has already sent out applications for interviews, and had them last week. They will be giving decisions within this month. 

UNC biochem program has already made its decision. 

Iowa State Chemistry has made its decision, and the BBMB program has sent out its invitations.

I still haven't received anything from Scripps yet, still holding out hope!

On 2/4/2018 at 12:53 PM, KillahKarlos said:

Hey! Can someone who went to the University of Chicago Molecular Biosciences weekend tell me how it was? Where the interviews difficult? Anything I should prepare for (besides reading into the faculty’s research)? 

UChicago interview already passed? Ah, another rejection...

On 2/3/2018 at 6:51 PM, samman1994 said:

Hey guys, so from my understanding, most schools by now are either sending acceptance or invitations for interviews or to see the school. \

In regards to Harvard, their biophysics and biomed have already made the decision. 

UConn Biomed has already sent out applications for interviews, and had them last week. They will be giving decisions within this month. 

UNC biochem program has already made its decision. 

Iowa State Chemistry has made its decision, and the BBMB program has sent out its invitations.

I still haven't received anything from Scripps yet, still holding out hope!

I met someone this past weekend who heard back from Scripps and will be interviewing at the end of the month. 

Anyone received a rejection from Mount Sinai? I know they said they'd start sending out decisions Feb 1st, and I saw some people post here in the results section of getting acceptances, but haven't seen any denials yet. If I haven't gotten anything yet, do you think they'd still be sending out more acceptances later this week? 

9 minutes ago, shmal96 said:

Anyone received a rejection from Mount Sinai? I know they said they'd start sending out decisions Feb 1st, and I saw some people post here in the results section of getting acceptances, but haven't seen any denials yet. If I haven't gotten anything yet, do you think they'd still be sending out more acceptances later this week? 

I received a rejection on January.

But I didn't even receive an interview invite, so I knew it was coming

56 minutes ago, shmal96 said:

Haven't heard anything post-interview here either...

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people have been wearing to their interview days? I am a female and I was planning on wearing a full suit but am now second guessing being too overdressed. I was planning on business casual for the other days but not sure about the actual interview day.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, happy-cat said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people have been wearing to their interview days? I am a female and I was planning on wearing a full suit but am now second guessing being too overdressed. I was planning on business casual for the other days but not sure about the actual interview day.

Thanks!

Business casual for interview days, normal casual for any other time.  Don't overthink it! :)

22 minutes ago, happy-cat said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I wore a dressy white shirt with a black blazer over top and then red dress pants and black boots for interview days for business casual. But there are definitely people wearing dress pants with sweaters or nicer tops too, not everyone is in a blazer/suit! All other days are normal casual, I usually went with jeans and a sweater or something like that.

1 hour ago, microbenerd2018 said:

Accepted to University of Michigan PIBS (microbiology & immunology)! I am so excited and also incredibly relieved lol. 

Congraultions! When did you interview?

31 minutes ago, happy-cat said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Most places have been suggesting business casual. There were always a few people (guys and girls) in full suits, but it was no where near the majority. Don't think it's ever a bad thing (better to be over than under), but they did sometimes stand out. I wore blazer/dark jeans for one day, dress pants and dress blouse for interview day, and a casual dress with tights for another day. Obvi don't wear jeans on interview day (although that did happen), but "nice" jeans for any of the casual outings were totally fine. Most people wore jeans at least one of the days, and it looked a bit odd when people wore dress pants for things like apartment tours.

58 minutes ago, happy-cat said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I've been going with business casual.  A blouse, a cardigan or blazer, and nice trousers with booties or flats for footwear.  I saw a wide range of suits and even a couple people in jeans with a jacket or sweater.  I, personally, would recommend against wearing jeans on interview days, but they are totally fine for the days you aren't interviewing.  I would just make sure you look put together.

A full suit might be a little overdressed, but I've seen people wearing them and I don't think they look out of place.  The people who wore jeans, though, did.

Edited by StemCellFan

On December 22, 2017 at 10:18 AM, minds said:

Yeah, but the email didn't specify the Neuroscience program. It only mentioned the GSBS. But I imagine the various programs are reviewing at different times, and because the email mentioned that there are other interview dates (aside from the one I was invited for), they might be sending out more invites. It looks like they sent out some interviews for Cancer Bio and Genetics, as well, according to the survey. Which program did you apply to?

Which weekend are you interviewing?  Have you heard anything about the interview process yet?  I just got invited to interview today, but my application was submitted on the last day.

On January 8, 2018 at 10:54 AM, ChallengerSwimmer23 said:

Just got an interview invite at MD Anderson UT Health Houston Cancer Biology & Immunology Ph.D. program! That's exciting! Right back in my hometown of Houston. :)

Awesome. When are you interviewing?  Have you heard anything about the GSBS interview process?  Wondering how many of the applicants they interview that get accepted.