2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

2 hours ago, FailedScientist said:

With Baylor I suggest you contact the second choice program director. Sometimes when the application is sent to the second choice, people forget to take a look at it. This happened to me with IMBS and MVM. Contacting the program director ended up with me receiving an interview and acceptance. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the reply! :)Unfortunately, I received a rejection from my second choice program as well. At least they returned. 

I have been invited for an interview from only one program, so I feel stressed.

Congratulations to everyone who has already got acceptance :) 

1 hour ago, StemCellFan said:

Congratulations!!  You must be really relieved now!

Thank you so much!!! Congrats on your acceptances, too! Yes, I am over the moon excited and relieved! I'm going to give myself a few weeks to think about it, but I'm done with interviews and am thinking I will likely accept UMich's offer. 

Edited by synapticcat

27 minutes ago, Neurobio2018 said:

Anyone hear back from BCM dev bio or Boston College Bio after interviews? I know it's still really early to expect a response but I'm so impatient. 

I heard back from Boston College informally. They said official results should be out soon.

Edited by siliconchins
Typo

3 hours ago, Neurobio2018 said:

Anyone hear back from BCM dev bio or Boston College Bio after interviews? I know it's still really early to expect a response but I'm so impatient. 

I heard back informally from BCM DevBio already. Official decisions coming out soon.

On February 6, 2018 at 10:56 PM, minds said:

Congrats on the invite! I am interviewing March 8-10. I actually submitted my app way too early and got an invite back in December for this coming weekend, but I had to reschedule. They sent me a general schedule of events, though. It looks like they have dinner on Thursday, four 30-min interviews on Friday followed by what sounds like an icebreaker activity ("Clue Quest") and then reception and dinner. You'll probably get the same schedule soon.

I read somewhere (on here, I think) that someone in the program said that they accept "most" invited applicants. That's all I found about post-interview acceptance rates. Are you interviewing that same weekend?

Thanks! I am interviewing March 8-10.  Hopefully it's true that they accept "most" invited applicants.  I felt like my interview invitation was really optimistic, but I didn't want to read too much into it if everyone got the same letter :). I am expecting another email from GSBS any day now with more details.  I connected with a current student on LinkedIn and asked her a few questions about the interview process.  She said there is quite a bit of interaction with current students throughout the weekend and to get to know as many as you can and ask them what it's really like at GSBS.  She said she loves it, but she's in a different program than I'm looking into.

On February 6, 2018 at 8:04 AM, strugglebus2k17 said:

I'm also curious to know!

I saw a Youtube video somewhere in the process that said they get 900 applicants per year and accept 100.  Not sure how many they interview or if those numbers are even still accurate. I'm interviewing March 8-10.  Congrats on getting invited to interview!

On February 6, 2018 at 1:21 AM, katpillow said:

I don't know about @ChallengerSwimmer23, but I got an email invite from them earlier today for interviewing March 8-10. I haven't been able to catch any admissions stats or anything, so I'm not too keen on how many applicants attend or get admitted. There's three weekends, and I'm imagining anywhere between 15-30 students per weekend, but honestly who knows. I suppose I'll see when I'm there. Congrats on the invite, btw. I'm guessing we might be attending the same interview dates?

As per which branches of the program I'm interested in, I had put: 1. immunology, 2. therapeutics, and 3. cancer biology

I will be interviewing March 8-10 as well.  I'm mostly looking into Cell Biology, but I'm coming from a nontraditional background, so I'm keeping an open mind to see where my previous education aligns most.  My previous studies have touched a little into everything, but there's really one specific lab that led me to apply.  The "undifferentiated" aspect of this program will be extremely beneficial for me, if I get accepted.  When I applied, I knew my application would either stand out in a positive way or wouldn't stand a chance.

16 hours ago, devbioboy said:

Forgot to post this earlier, but I got an acceptance to Pitt's IBGP! I interviewed the first weekend. 

Congrats!! How long did it take for you to get the notification? I interviewed their second weekend. 

On 2/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, FailedScientist said:

Baylor has already started with their first interview weekends for most of their programs. Some programs have more than one interview weekends.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I have emailed their program coordinator but no reply. I guess waiting game begins!!

Thanks a lot!

13 hours ago, shmal96 said:

Congrats!! How long did it take for you to get the notification? I interviewed their second weekend. 

I got an informal call maybe a week after I interviewed then an official letter package in the mail two weeks after that. Good luck!

Edited by devbioboy

21 hours ago, wocscience said:

I will be interviewing March 8-10 as well.  I'm mostly looking into Cell Biology, but I'm coming from a nontraditional background, so I'm keeping an open mind to see where my previous education aligns most.  My previous studies have touched a little into everything, but there's really one specific lab that led me to apply.  The "undifferentiated" aspect of this program will be extremely beneficial for me, if I get accepted.  When I applied, I knew my application would either stand out in a positive way or wouldn't stand a chance.

That’s great! Clearly the reception was positive

Accepted at University of Vermont NGP!!! That's a wrap, folks!!! Can't thank you guys enough for the support of this forum as I spent the past several months freaking out. 

Looking forward to making my decision :D

27 minutes ago, synapticcat said:

Accepted at University of Vermont NGP!!! That's a wrap, folks!!! Can't thank you guys enough for the support of this forum as I spent the past several months freaking out. 

Looking forward to making my decision :D

So happy for you! Glad to see you had a great cycle - you should definitely go out and celebrate.

1 hour ago, siliconchins said:

So happy for you! Glad to see you had a great cycle - you should definitely go out and celebrate.

Thanks so much! Looks like you'll have plenty of options too, I can't wait to see where everyone ends up! :lol:

I'm just wrapping up the fist week of my senior spring semester, and I am definitely celebrating. Drinks tonight, then cooking a breakfast-for-dinner feast and celebrating with close friends later this weekend! 

Edited by synapticcat

Has anyone still not heard from UNC BBSP?  I applied to the Neuro track but I'd be interested in hearing from people who applied to any track.  I'm assuming it's a rejection at this point, but it's odd that there are several rejections on the results page and yet I've heard nothing.  There also doesn't seem to be a rejection message when I login to the application portal.  I applied before the priority deadline if that makes any difference.

On 1/31/2018 at 4:03 PM, gaga1994 said:

Thanks a lot! Fingers crossed

The program heads at BBS told us at the second recruitment visit that this year they decided to notify everyone from both weekends on the same day, which they were planning on making Feb 19, so just relax until then! Good luck! Recruitment was definitely loads of fun :D 

So my interviews are approaching and I’m worrying sick about my prep. Just wondering for Uchicago and Columbia biomedical cluster PhD, what kind of person will get rejected after interview? I sure don’t want to screw things up but yet to know what things I should definitely avoid......thanks fellas

14 hours ago, noisemaker483 said:

Has anyone still not heard from UNC BBSP?  I applied to the Neuro track but I'd be interested in hearing from people who applied to any track.  I'm assuming it's a rejection at this point, but it's odd that there are several rejections on the results page and yet I've heard nothing.  There also doesn't seem to be a rejection message when I login to the application portal.  I applied before the priority deadline if that makes any difference.

If it helps at all my UNC BBSP neuro interview was this past weekend and they only have one other weekend which is on 2/22-2/24

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, FailedScientist said:

With Baylor I suggest you contact the second choice program director. Sometimes when the application is sent to the second choice, people forget to take a look at it. This happened to me with IMBS and MVM. Contacting the program director ended up with me receiving an interview and acceptance. Good luck.

Do you know how long it usually takes for BCM MVM to send out decisions after an interview? thanks!