2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

4 hours ago, devbioboy said:

Got a mixed bag of results today. Got official acceptance in Harvard BBS today!

But also got a rejection from UCSF DSCB. I did not really enjoy the prospect of living in SF while there, so I guess it worked out...

How did you hear from Harvard? Did they send you the official acceptance letter? 

7 hours ago, devbioboy said:

Got a mixed bag of results today. Got official acceptance in Harvard BBS today!

But also got a rejection from UCSF DSCB. I did not really enjoy the prospect of living in SF while there, so I guess it worked out...

Congrats!!! 

I don't blame you for not wanting to live in SF.

3 hours ago, Napoleon521 said:

How did you hear from Harvard? Did they send you the official acceptance letter? 

I got a call from the director first, then I got a letter in my email the next day. It seems like they'll be taking the whole week to alert everyone of their status.

42 minutes ago, StemCellFan said:

Congrats!!! 

I don't blame you for not wanting to live in SF.

Thanks! SF seems like a nice place to visit and not necessarily to live (especially being from the Southeast US, where housing prices are pretty reasonable).

On 2/19/2018 at 9:36 AM, ElleEmme said:

we are in the same boat :/ 

It is a bit nerve wrecking since I have heard from all other programs, but fingers crossed they might be going at their own pace. If I get any word, I will keep you posted. 

I just called the grad office and they said my app is still in review and a decision will be made by April 15th :mellow:.

19 hours ago, LiaLuver said:

I just called the grad office and they said my app is still in review and a decision will be made by April 15th :mellow:.

Thank you for the update! Even though that is such a long timeline. 

Do you mind sharing their grad office # with me .. I can't seem to locate it on the website. 

Thanks! 

Also waiting on Miami, assumed I had been rejected but it’s good to see that they might just be taking their sweet time and doing things the Miami way.

Looking back on past years this appears to be unusual. Are they not conducting interviews this year? I would find it hard to imagine they would just skip on-site interviews but it is very late now compared to other years. 

Anyways, has anyone heard back from NYU or Minnesota? I interviewed at NYU well over a month ago and Minnesota about a month ago and still have not heard anything. 

Best of luck to you all. 

18 hours ago, LiaLuver said:

18 hours ago, LiaLuver said:

Sorry I was not on the site.  Did you call them?

LiaLuver - I did. However, they were not available so I left a kind message.  

14 hours ago, ImmunoGuy said:

Also waiting on Miami, assumed I had been rejected but it’s good to see that they might just be taking their sweet time and doing things the Miami way.

Looking back on past years this appears to be unusual. Are they not conducting interviews this year? I would find it hard to imagine they would just skip on-site interviews but it is very late now compared to other years. 

Anyways, has anyone heard back from NYU or Minnesota? I interviewed at NYU well over a month ago and Minnesota about a month ago and still have not heard anything. 

Best of luck to you all. 

ImmunoGuy & LiaLuver - a colleague of mine reached out to a current PhD student at Miami who said that around this time last year is when she was first contacted by the school. Also, made it a point to say they do take their time. So hopefully we will hear from them soon. Likewise, best of luck to everyone!

14 hours ago, ImmunoGuy said:

I interviewed for NYU a month ago as well and have not heard anything. From what I know, they are having interviews this week and next week as well.

3 hours ago, ElleEmme said:

ImmunoGuy & LiaLuver - a colleague of mine reached out to a current PhD student at Miami who said that around this time last year is when she was first contacted by the school. Also, made it a point to say they do take their time. So hopefully we will hear from them soon. Likewise, best of luck to everyone!

Thanks for the update.  I already have some good offers but I would love to have UMiami in the running.  Good luck everyone.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:40 PM, siliconchins said:

For those moving cross country, how are you planning on doing it?

I met a grad student who moved cross country at one of my grad interview weekends and he packed all of his stuff in a POD and shipped it cross country. When he arrived at his grad program, he made multiple trips to the nearest POD facility to get all of his stuff and moved it in all himself.

I know that you can also get your car shipped cross country if you need/want it. My current roommate is from Texas and shipped her car to NC when she was coming for undergrad.

On 2/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, devbioboy said:

I met a grad student who moved cross country at one of my grad interview weekends and he packed all of his stuff in a POD and shipped it cross country. When he arrived at his grad program, he made multiple trips to the nearest POD facility to get all of his stuff and moved it in all himself.

I know that you can also get your car shipped cross country if you need/want it. My current roommate is from Texas and shipped her car to NC when she was coming for undergrad.

How do you ship your car? what company did your roommate use? I wonder how much those POD cost. I am moving from Texas to Indiana in late July. 

On 2/23/2018 at 8:40 PM, siliconchins said:

For those moving cross country, how are you planning on doing it?

I am moving from South (Texas) to Midwest (Indiana). Originally, my family and I were gonna take a big 2-day road trip from Houston, TX to South Bend, IN and carry all my stuff since I am bringing my car with me. My parents are helping me with the move and going to also carry my boxes of belongings in their SUV in addition to carrying boxes in my car. Fortunately, the apartments that I am looking at is fully furnished, so I don't have to worry about shipping furniture though. At least that's how I am considering the logistics at the moment. 

I wonder if I have to change my state license plates on my car from Texas to Indiana once I settle in South Bend since I am living there for my Ph.D. training. 

Edited by ChallengerSwimmer23

@ChallengerSwimmer23 Most schools will require you to become a citizen of the state before they'll pay for your tuition the second year (that way they're covering in-state tuition). That means you have a year to change your driver's license/residency. The license plate on your car depends, though! For instance, my parents paid my car insurance and technically owned my car when I went out of state for undergrad, so I kept my home state's tag. If it's in your name, though, you'll have to switch it over once your current sticker on your license plate expires.

Edited by AllieKat
forgot to @ user, typo

Molecular Biology PhD Admission/Rejection Summary

University of Arkansas

Honors student

Biochemistry major

Biology minor

3.5 Years of research experience in molecular plant pathology lab

No publications

Several conferences and presentations

One internship

Computer science expereince

GPA: 3.954

GRE: 91st Verb, 76th Quant, 82nd Writing

Applied for Molecular biology or analogous PhD program at all of the below universities

University of Colorado, Boulder: Accepted

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: Accepted

University of Washington, Seattle, Rejected

Stanford: Rejected

Accepted to UCSF's TETRAD program!! 

That's a wrap on my interviews! Good luck to everyone else as they finish theirs! I've got one visit day left at UToronto then have to start making this hard decision ?

Applied: 9

Interviews: 5/9 WashU DBBS, UGeorgia ILS, UCSF TETRAD, UW-Madison Genetics, Iowa Genetics

Accepted: 6/9 UToronto, UW-Madison, WashU, U of Iowa, Georgia, UCSF

Rejections: 3/9

Attending: Washington University in St. Louis DBBS